Date: 28-03-24  Time: 10:51 am

Author Topic: Winter Projects  (Read 4447 times)

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Winter Projects
« on: 07 December 2017, 10:40:22 am »
Been very quiet here of late so thought I'd ask people what if any winter projects they have lined up for their bikes.

I'm thinking of stripping the plastics and tank off so I can give them a good clean and also get to the nooks and crannies to makes sure everything is free of rust and corrosion (ACF50 where required), this will also make the electrics more accessible so I am thinking of going through all the connector blocks using some contact cleaner to clean them up and then painting some ACF50 on the connectors to keep the gremlins away. Might also take the swingarm off to give it a good clean and re-grease all the linkage and swingarm bearings. Does anyone have any recommendations for grease to use with bearings, I've just been using multi purpose stuff but don't know if there is anything that would be better.

Also does anyone know if you can get tapered feeler gauges at particular sizes i.e. .11mm through to .30mm as I'd like to recheck my valve clearances (probably next year) to get exact measurements without having to resort to using multiple guages to measure the gap. This would help to accurately figure out what shims I would need to get all of the clearances to the halfway point. I did a half arsed job last year and found that some clearances are pretty close to the limits but I'm not at 50K yet so plan to do a better job probably next year when I will have hit the 50K and am thinking I will need to re-shim.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Re: Winter Projects
« Reply #1 on: 07 December 2017, 01:29:10 pm »
Tapered feeler gauges  :eek
Can you get such a thing and how does that work?

Winter projects are good and help keep the bike up together for sure, just finished going right through my brakes, good clean up and lubed the piston with Red Rubber grease.
I used Red Rubber grease on the rear suspension bottom linkages when I upgraded the suspension a year and a bit ago, Red Rubber will not harm any rubber seals at all and it is waterproof, it will not wash off, in fact its a bugger to get off when you want it off, it is impervious to a lot solvents as well. the rear suspension linkage take a battering from rain and grit , salt and s--t in the winter this stuff does not wash off. (Not that I am ever out in that weather) but I am anal about washing the bike and soapy/shampoo water will not remove Red Rubber grease.
That why the stuff is so good on brake caliper pistons it does not harm the seals and does not come off easily.

Keep us updated on your winter projects and some please explain to this old boy tapered feeler gauges, we used to call that a wedge.  :lol

PieEater

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 December 2017, 02:07:10 pm »

Tapered guages are narrow enough at the ends to slip between the cam guides to reach the valve buckets and measure the gap

Non tapered guages are too wide at the business end to get to the buckets.

« Last Edit: 07 December 2017, 02:11:08 pm by PieEater »

reggit

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha350LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 December 2017, 06:06:05 pm »
Never seen the ‘non-taper’ types before.  The normal ones are commonly available.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 December 2017, 05:22:16 pm »

Tapered guages are narrow enough at the ends to slip between the cam guides to reach the valve buckets and measure the gap

Non tapered guages are too wide at the business end to get to the buckets.

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 December 2017, 05:48:56 pm »
Thats what I thought he meant, a stepped gauge.
I used to have a spark plug gap measurer that looked something like your sketch.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 December 2017, 06:04:23 pm »
Thats what I thought he meant, a stepped gauge.
I used to have a spark plug gap measure that looked something like your sketch.

Same as that, still got it somewhere in the abyss of my sheds :rolleyes

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 December 2017, 06:05:58 pm »
Jewellers have something like that, but, much bigger for measuring your ring  :'( :moon 

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 December 2017, 06:08:09 pm »
Jewellers have something like that, but, much bigger for measuring your ring  :'( :moon

Wife just told me they use them to stretch your ring  :eek  Don't think she is on the same wavelength though. :lol

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 December 2017, 07:31:42 pm »
 :rollin :rollin :rollin

windyg

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 December 2017, 06:14:38 pm »
Bolt this to your bench , sit your ring on it and swing on the leaver :eek :eek

BJohnD

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11 December 2017, 01:10:26 pm »
Bolt this to your bench , sit your ring on it and swing on the leaver :eek :eek

that brought a tear to my eye  :'(

PieEater

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 December 2017, 04:10:53 pm »
Well at least we have some posts now although not entirely on topic  :eek  FYI the non tapered feeler gauges are called parallel feeler gauges - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feeler_gauge

This afternoon I spent a couple of hours cleaning the bike, next step is to strip some bits off so I can clean it better and get the paintwork treated with Autoglym Clar Bar, Super Resin Polish & Extra Gloss Protector.
« Last Edit: 11 December 2017, 04:15:46 pm by PieEater »

Andy W

• Weekend Warrior
  • www.thesundogs.uk Rockin' rollin' rhythm & roots
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
    • The Sundogs - rockin' rollin' rhythm & roots!
« Reply #13 on: 12 December 2017, 05:35:11 pm »
Ok, I've managed to stop laughing enough to type this post!  :rollin

I too have never seen the parallel type feeler gauges, can't say I'd buy any either! But as to PieEater's original question, I think gauges tend to come in sets of "standard" sizes but a mechanical engineer, or maybe a bike mechanic, would be the one to ask.......

A lot of you folks really go to town cleaning your bikes, I am obviously very lazy by comparison....if any of you feel the need to practice your motorcycle deep cleaning technique, my bike is always available!  :) ;)

Mustang

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 09 February 2018, 01:43:09 pm »
You can buy parallel feeler gauges on eBay. And single 0.11mm gauges but they are 300mm long and 13mm wide