Date: 28-03-24  Time: 15:09 pm

Author Topic: Do you use a GPS on holidays by bike  (Read 10776 times)

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Do you use a GPS on holidays by bike
« Reply #25 on: 07 December 2017, 01:55:26 pm »

Just cos you got a licence don't make you a rider.
Robbo is.

:rolleyes

Care to point out to me where I criticised Robbo's riding ability?

What I think is that every additional thing that causes you to take your eyes away from what's going on in front of you is a hazard. I would be happier to have an audible warning, maybe something along the lines of a spoken message that says something like "tightening radius bend approaching." That way, I can be lining up the corner entry, adjusting my speed and gear selection etc, and still be looking for any additional hazards there may be. But even with audible warnings, as I mentioned, I think you can have too many. Most of the audible warnings on my Sat Nav are just beeps, and I still have to take my eyes from the road to see what the warning is of.

Whether or not I can keep up with Robbo has no bearing on my point whatsoever  ;)
« Last Edit: 07 December 2017, 02:00:06 pm by Hedgetrimmer »

Flooky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 07 December 2017, 02:52:22 pm »

My comments were not directed at any one in particular, I just read everyones posts and got the impression that a reasonably good idea was being mugged off.
I just read and consider all ideas.
I don't use sat nav on a bike myself cos not got round to buying one yet, I write down the main places on a bit of paper and have them in my tank bag, then look at the map every night on a trip, to plan the next day.

Flooky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 07 December 2017, 02:54:11 pm »
And if you can hear an audible warning you aint going fast enough ! :)

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 07 December 2017, 03:36:08 pm »
And if you can hear an audible warning you aint going fast enough ! :)

I dunno. An F15E pilot flying "nap of the earth" might have something to say about that  :lol

Flooky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 07 December 2017, 05:45:29 pm »

I don't really understand that sorry, if I am riding in a group, wind noise and pipes even with ear plugs I couldnt hear a sat nav. 80 or 90 mph sweepers its quite loud, but something that indicated that in 3 bends time we were getting a 30mph hairpin would be handy.
I will make do with a map til then, (or follow Robbo )

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 07 December 2017, 07:57:22 pm »
Wow,I'm taking a caning over this :) . Look out for a Garmin in the For Sale section :lol . I've obviously given the impression that I'm riding around staring at a satnav. In evaluating the usefullness of this gadget on a foreign trip,bearing in mind I've ridden for almost 55 years without one,so must have been doing something right. It efficiently got me across a few towns and a city where I've encountered diversions etc in the past. The ability to have the speed displayed in kph was handy for obvious reasons,as well as being able to locate petrol stations when out in the sticks,more for my pals benefit than mine. Lastly,as an aside, I felt that to have the knowledge that an up coming blind bend on an unfamiliar road is going to be 180° is no bad thing,in my view.

No one is caning you Robbo, but remember the Sat Nav only needs to be wrong once  :'( No one is doubting the efficiency of the unit, but they can be wrong. I have used them on occasions but generally on holidays I don't bother just because I have had so much fun without it.  :lol The GPS on the phone works fine for me if I ever need it.

I have ridden with people who use them all the time and have set routes for people on them. On more than one occasion fellows with Sat Navs have asked me for my trusty 5 mmm thick fit anywhere when traveling light map. Why? to figure out where they actually were  :lol The funniest one was in the Dordogne Valley in the village of Domme. Stopped to look down over the wall to the river far below and this guy I just waved to parked and comes up to me and asks if he could have a look at the map I had in the tank bag. I gave to to him and then noticed the Sat Nav, I asked what was wrong with the Sat Nav, His reply "Oh nothing it brought me straight to Domme, I just want to know where the Foc it is" :rollin My wife his girlfrined and I could not be consoled  :rollin

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 07 December 2017, 08:39:10 pm »

Like the thread about blipping the throttle, WTF ?

That was my thread.
What do you mean by your comment. If this isn't the place to ask questions about our bikes or riding bikes, then where do we go to?
I was never taught it in my bike test 7 years ago or my car test 20 years a go. I mostly ride by myself (i have no friends :'( ) so where would i pick up this information?? 

Obviously you now everything, but when i thought sailing i always explained that the person who said they now everything about sailing is either a fool or dangerous, reckon the same applies to bikes. By the way which one are you?

Sorry for the thread highjack.
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #32 on: 07 December 2017, 09:12:23 pm »
I don't really understand that sorry, if I am riding in a group, wind noise and pipes even with ear plugs I couldnt hear a sat nav.

My TomTom Rider has a Bluetooth connection to a headset which I can hear fine with earplugs in.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #33 on: 07 December 2017, 09:15:55 pm »
No one is caning you Robbo, but remember the Sat Nav only needs to be wrong once 

That's why you don't *rely* on it, just use it as a potential useful extra piece of information.

There again, it's cheaper and easier to download an updated map on the Sat Nav than buying a paper one which might be based on information a few years out of date...

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 07 December 2017, 09:27:35 pm »
Yep agree with Robbo and Grahamm. Look down at the Satnav before the bend arrives. Look away from the Satnav and up at the bend as you get to it,and all the way through it. Simple and safe. Best of both worlds. Invaluable at night on country roads where you can't see where the bend goes until you are on it (did I mention Boxeye headlights?)

Flooky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 07 December 2017, 10:47:34 pm »

Like the thread about blipping the throttle, WTF ?

Not the person asking the question, no one knows everything, the crazy answers.
I think maybe a forum is an easy arena to be misunderstood.
Its like texting, if you know a person you can imagine how they would say something, but with strangers its easy to be misunderstood.
Having said all that, I am both a fool and dangerous, but not a bad sailor.

That was my thread.
What do you mean by your comment. If this isn't the place to ask questions about our bikes or riding bikes, then where do we go to?
I was never taught it in my bike test 7 years ago or my car test 20 years a go. I mostly ride by myself (i have no friends :'( ) so where would i pick up this information?? 

Obviously you now everything, but when i thought sailing i always explained that the person who said they now everything about sailing is either a fool or dangerous, reckon the same applies to bikes. By the way which one are you?

Sorry for the thread highjack.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 07 December 2017, 11:32:50 pm »
FFS girls do stop bickering  :rolleyes 

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 07 December 2017, 11:59:03 pm »
Blimey, who'd have thought a chuck away remark about GPS could cause such a controversy :lol . I've been firmly routed in the "notes and a map on the tank bag" camp, and still am, ever since I started riding any great distance. In fact there was no alternative back then. Taking the satnav on my last trip was an experiment more than anything else, and due to time constraints,hoped it would save time navigating any towns/cities, which it did. I know I'm not using it properly, as have no audio link to it, and as far as programming way points etc, forget it. Any computer based procedures, just drop me out.

Getting on to the bends thing. The purpose of taking it in the first place was to evaluate its usefulness,as there's no point in taking a gadget if it doesn't earn its keep so to speak. Other than the purposes it was designed for, I did find it useful to know that a 180 degree bend was coming up, so that awareness of the unexpected could be raised. The pace regulated accordingly,making progress,in my opinion, a lot smoother, more relaxed and therefore less tiring which is only a good thing when putting in a long day in the saddle.

Maybe as the Garmin was fairly new to me, it was a bit like a new toy, as I was very aware that it was there. Possibly a long time user might refer to it more subconsciously,like a mirror check,but still take on board the info they've seen without realizing it. A bit like the throttle blip saga, with riders unaware that they did it. Just a natural action that is performed without thought.
All being well, my next foreign foray will be Le Mans 24 hr in April, but I'll leave the satnav at home, as I know the way by heart :lol .
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

Flooky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 08 December 2017, 05:01:14 am »

Well I aint comin,
Your bound to crash ! :)

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 08 December 2017, 06:51:49 am »
Some days when touring you need to have a day or two of just hammering out 300-500miles in a day to get to an area of interest. In that instance the GPS is great!
At other times I do like to just cruise about and explore, use the phone and just head in the direction of things that look interesting like villages, lakes, woods, hills, mountains or bits of coastline.
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 08 December 2017, 09:04:56 am »
FFS girls do stop bickering  :rolleyes

If you cant stand the heat get out of the kitchen :pokefun :lol

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 08 December 2017, 12:27:17 pm »
Bends then. Never ridden in another country but in this country you can go by the road signs. Is the road signage rubbish in other EU countries, in which case I can see some sort of other warning would be useful.   
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

tex

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - tdr 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 08 December 2017, 01:06:30 pm »

I've just done the same as robbo, got a garmin zumo 395,  if you mount it higher up on the bars you don' have to take your eyes of the road so much, I find it great, use it if you want  or need , or leave it of, very handy if you get low on fuel as it tells you the nearest garage , also cafe's toilets  , speed cameras, , it has a adventure root which is interesting,  all the usual sat nav things  , tyre pressure , service times , bluetooth,  I use mini wireless earbuds,  they go in your ear so you can use a tight  fitting  helmet.
the night i was born, lord the moon stood a fire red., my poor mother her crying,
she said the gypsy was right, and she fell right dead

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 08 December 2017, 01:28:21 pm »
Now I'm a bit younger than a lot of you guys so I've pretty much always driven in the Sat Nav age and as such all my cars have had them built in and like robbo I often use it to gauge bends on unfamiliar roads and I find it helps massively.
As for the original question about using one on a motorbike, I've used my phone as a GPS a few times but to be honest I find it much more fun to navigate using the road signs as it adds to the sense of adventure on a ride. For 90% of my 'pleasure' rides i dont even have a destination as such, just a big loop that ends up more or less where I start. Getting lost is all part of the fun and just adds to the sense of accomplishment when you find yourself back in a road you recognise haha

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 08 December 2017, 02:03:12 pm »
Now I'm a bit younger than a lot of you guys so I've pretty much always driven in the Sat Nav age and as such all my cars have had them built in and like robbo I often use it to gauge bends on unfamiliar roads and I find it helps massively.

By road signs I was referring to the ones that show you a left then right coming up and then on the bend its self there are chevrons and the amount of chevrons tells you how sharp the bend is.     
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #45 on: 08 December 2017, 02:42:40 pm »
ShatNav in the car because I usually just want to get somewhere quickly. Maps on the bike for a few reasons.

1. I don't have a bike ShatNav but could use my phone as one if I really really wanted to
2. I don't want the distraction and want to concentrate on what's going on around me and not constantly staring at a screen
3. If I take a wrong turning, so what? Shite happens and I will find my way there eventually whilst enjoying my ride.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 08 December 2017, 03:14:52 pm »
Blimey, who'd have thought a chuck away remark about GPS could cause such a controversy :lol . I've been firmly routed in the "notes and a map on the tank bag" camp, and still am, ever since I started riding any great distance. In fact there was no alternative back then. Taking the satnav on my last trip was an experiment more than anything else, and due to time constraints,hoped it would save time navigating any towns/cities, which it did. I know I'm not using it properly, as have no audio link to it, and as far as programming way points etc, forget it. Any computer based procedures, just drop me out.

Getting on to the bends thing. The purpose of taking it in the first place was to evaluate its usefulness,as there's no point in taking a gadget if it doesn't earn its keep so to speak. Other than the purposes it was designed for, I did find it useful to know that a 180 degree bend was coming up, so that awareness of the unexpected could be raised. The pace regulated accordingly,making progress,in my opinion, a lot smoother, more relaxed and therefore less tiring which is only a good thing when putting in a long day in the saddle.

Maybe as the Garmin was fairly new to me, it was a bit like a new toy, as I was very aware that it was there. Possibly a long time user might refer to it more subconsciously,like a mirror check,but still take on board the info they've seen without realizing it. A bit like the throttle blip saga, with riders unaware that they did it. Just a natural action that is performed without thought.
All being well, my next foreign foray will be Le Mans 24 hr in April, but I'll leave the satnav at home, as I know the way by heart :lol .

I must admit I like the sound turned on so I can hear the instructions through my ear phones whilst ride, I find it save having the bother of having to have my eyes open to look at the Sat Nav, or, ahead for that matter as I ride ride.
Easy

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 08 December 2017, 04:49:08 pm »
Well there's about 3 different types of road sign for bends, so there's obviously no more than 3 types of bend.... . That's of course if you can see the signs obscured by trees, bushes or other traffic.
I'm surprised at the number of people discounting Satnavs who have never used them!

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: 08 December 2017, 10:24:28 pm by Dudeofrude »

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 08 December 2017, 09:37:23 pm »

By road signs I was referring to the ones that show you a left then right coming up and then on the bend its self there are chevrons and the amount of chevrons tells you how sharp the bend is.     

Hi Fazersharp
You have never been to Ireland then ??? :lol :lol :lol