Date: 28-03-24  Time: 19:24 pm

Author Topic: Do you use a GPS on holidays by bike  (Read 10785 times)

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
Do you use a GPS on holidays by bike
« on: 04 December 2017, 10:06:05 pm »
Out of curiosity, any one out there like me, who never uses a GPS when going on Holidays by bike.

Definitely think the GPS takes all the fun out of going on holidays by bike, :eek

Taking the wrong route and finding out it is far better than the one a GPS would have taken you.
 Getting lost and having to stop and ask direction only to have the fellow you are trying to speak to is stone deaf
 Getting lost and having to stop and ask direction from a couple in a car and discover they are totally naked :
 Nearly missing the ferry because you took a wrong turn
 The fun in the high speed ride to get back on the right route and making the ferry by 5 minutes.
 Going through Belgium for the first time and discovering they have the worst road signage in Europe.
 Trying to find your way out of Mons in Belgium when both routes to the motorway are completely blocked by overturned trucks.
 Discovering the sign for Paris in Belgium is also the road to Masstricht which is in the opposite direction.
 Watching a fellow with a GPS getting into a total panic in Southern Spain because the GPS battery went flat

I think I will stick with the ould general area map, my €50 phone and my €80 Tablet with maps downloaded to it; way more fun and a lot cheaper than the GPS.
« Last Edit: 04 December 2017, 10:07:42 pm by unfazed »

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Do you use a GPS on holidays by bike
« Reply #1 on: 05 December 2017, 12:45:03 am »
Not in the UK, but did in Abroadland this year, mostly for getting to a particular place (usually hotels) or following transit routes from one area of interest to another.
For actual exploring, I used maps, or just turned off onto any road that looked interesting (usually if it looked like it was heading deeper into the mountains). But it was nice to have the GPS in case of getting lost. Getting lost can turn up interesting places/experiences, and I certainly did some of that when using the maps, but it can also eat into limited touring time.
It certainly didn't reduce the enjoyment I had on tour, but if anything, helped give me the confidence to tour Abroadland alone.

I wouldn't ever use just a GPS though. I love maps! Great thing about em, is you can look at a place in more context of it's surroundings, much better than keep zooming in and out on a gadget, which I find totally disorientating.
« Last Edit: 05 December 2017, 12:46:20 am by Hedgetrimmer »

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 December 2017, 07:28:14 am »
I use my phone, which is ok until you loose your signal. I too like maps, I remember the big yellow AA road atlas, no car was complete without one of these back in the day, I wonder if you can still get them.
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

tony_d123

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 December 2017, 07:43:55 am »
I don't subscribe to the "it's more fun not using a sat nav" philosophy. It's no fun looking for a hotel or petrol station at 8pm when you are knackered. Maps for planning and back-up but sat nav for trips. Just ignore if you are feeling adventurous but have it when you need it.

Oldgit

• foccerwithoutaspacebar
  • GP Hero
  • Old Age & Treachery will Overcome Youth & Skill
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - BMW R1200RS Sport SE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 December 2017, 10:03:37 am »

I use the Garmin 220 for the BMW--excellent.

crickleymal

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 December 2017, 10:05:04 am »
I use my phone, which is ok until you loose your signal. I too like maps, I remember the big yellow AA road atlas, no car was complete without one of these back in the day, I wonder if you can still get them.

I bought one last year.
I do use my sat nav a lot but still prefer to have a map as back up.
Malc

Old enough to know better.

Tallbloke

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 December 2017, 10:57:01 am »
I use maps for getting between towns.
I use GPS for finding specific places in towns, because trundling 3 times round a one way system at the end of a long ride gets a bit wearing, and if you lose your bed because you were late for check-in, causes a lot of swearing.

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #7 on: 05 December 2017, 02:07:11 pm »
I don't I use chinagraph on tank bag for main route and look at Google maps prior to setting off for final destination, however usually with someone else that does have one, mainly incase of detours!!
« Last Edit: 05 December 2017, 02:08:26 pm by Robbie8666 »
It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 December 2017, 05:39:45 pm »
I always plan a new route using maps but often use the satnav and put intermediate points in the satnav so it doesn't direct me onto a main trunk route instead of the route I want, usually more interesting minor roads with less traffic. Especially in unfamiliar territory I find this much easier than having to keep stopping to refresh my failing memory for the next change of road. More so in foreign lands (and sometimes Wales) where some of the place names on road signs have no meaning to me what so ever.

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 December 2017, 05:59:02 pm »
I have used the GPS on my phone if I cannot find some place in a big city easily, but have only used it about 4 time in the last 10 years. The GPS in the phone is a backup if I am really stuck, but have only used it once on my holidays, because of roads works and accident blocked a number of the obvious alternative routes, but then I try not to frequent to many big cities when I am on holidays.
First time in I was in Spain I was riding a Spanish register FJR1300 back to Ireland and only had a map, I pulled into a petrol station and was looking at the map when two police men approached me and asked if I needed directions.
One of them on a R1150GS said to follow him and he would show me the way, I had one of the fastest 10 mile trips ever in Spain staying with him. :D That would never have happened if I had a GPS with me. :lol
I am not saying not to use a GPS, but I love maps and stopping to ask directions, especially if they do not speak English  :lol :lol

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 December 2017, 09:30:00 pm »
It all depends on how far out of my comfort zone I am travelling in.
GPS is great to get you there but not always the best route and often the most tedious.
Maps are great if you want to explore as it's easier to see an interesting route.
However, my GPS did take me down a very interesting route last year which I might not have done otherwise.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05 December 2017, 10:51:23 pm »
Maps or GPS? The answer quite simply is both. Maps to plan the route and GPS to follow it. Especially when using MyRoute to set waypoints for specific roads. If you change your mind because you see an extra special road take it and GPS will then bring you back on track. Only use 'fastest route' when you want the fastest route. Phone or bike specific Satnav? They both do the same job, but bike  Satnavs are waterproof, bashproof and finger friendly. You pay your money and makes your choice. My TomTom Rider 2 wasn't cheap, but is now 10 years old, repaired with Araldite and going strong.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05 December 2017, 11:49:06 pm »
Used GPS for the first time abroad this year. Only relied on it to take the stress out of navigating through any large towns that were encountered. Found it handy to set the speed to be read in kph, bearing in mind the number of speed cameras in France now. It was also useful in the twisties to be prepared for any bends that really tightened up, thus minimising any surprises.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

reggit

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha350LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06 December 2017, 01:47:37 pm »
Before kids ruined my fun, used to tour Europe extensively.  Used a Zumo 550 with auto rerouting turned off.  That way I could see vaguely where I wanted to head for, but didn’t have it nagging me all the time.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06 December 2017, 03:05:11 pm »
It was also useful in the twisties to be prepared for any bends that really tightened up, thus minimising any surprises.

I can't quite get a handle on this "feature". I found if I'm on a road suitable for having some fun on, I don't have time to be looking at the screen all the time, even with it placed where I only have to drop my eyes a little. If I'm not on such a road, then I can judge for myself, as I'll be taking it easier anyway.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 06 December 2017, 06:42:30 pm »
Hi Nick,
When we were on canyon type of roads, it was useful to know if a bend was likely to sharply tighten up as the bend signs didn't seem to differentiate between those that could be taken sportily or cautiously.It only takes a glance way before the bend comes up. I thought it helped to keep the pace up with less possibility of any drama.

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 06 December 2017, 06:56:45 pm »
Used GPS for the first time abroad this year. Only relied on it to take the stress out of navigating through any large towns that were encountered. Found it handy to set the speed to be read in kph, bearing in mind the number of speed cameras in France now. It was also useful in the twisties to be prepared for any bends that really tightened up, thus minimising any surprises.

This really has me  intrigued, if I am hit the apexes, even in the car  the last thing I would be looking at is a Sat Nav on the dash  :eek :eek :eek

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 06 December 2017, 07:33:59 pm »
It's daft Pat. If you're riding roads you're unfamiliar with, you'll presumably keep the speed down a bit anyway, and use the "slow in, fast out" philosophy. And if you're pushing on, I don't know about others, but my eyes will be looking for all the clues that are imminent. And most of the canyon/mountain roads I've ridden would mean glancing down at the screen almost constantly, as the bends come up one after another - that's why we like to ride them, isn't it?

I turn most of the features off, otherwise I get warning beeps and boops every few seconds. Animal crossing?! Do I really need that? What about in Wales, where every bit of road is regarded by sheep as fair game?  :lol

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 06 December 2017, 09:03:49 pm »
Well all I can say is that for a first time experience of having GPS on a bike abroad, having an idea of how tight blind bends are likely to be was an asset. I don't have any audio set up so no distractions on that front.

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 06 December 2017, 11:02:22 pm »
It's daft Pat. If you're riding roads you're unfamiliar with, you'll presumably keep the speed down a bit anyway, and use the "slow in, fast out" philosophy. And if you're pushing on, I don't know about others, but my eyes will be looking for all the clues that are imminent. And most of the canyon/mountain roads I've ridden would mean glancing down at the screen almost constantly, as the bends come up one after another - that's why we like to ride them, isn't it?

I turn most of the features off, otherwise I get warning beeps and boops every few seconds. Animal crossing?! Do I really need that? What about in Wales, where every bit of road is regarded by sheep as fair game?  :lol
Same here Nick, so many clues available and using the "vanishing point" in this situation is also a vital part of your arsenal of knowledge.

Robbo I would seriously attempt to dissuade you from that practice simply because Sat Navs maps are not always right up to date, whereas your wits are always up to date with the latest information. Sat Navs/Gps are aids/guides in navigation nothing else, hone your road riding skills, no distractions live longer. Just like in Mountaineering they tell you almost exactly where you are and a possible route to your destination.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 07 December 2017, 01:13:15 am »
Use everything in your arsenal to keep safe.
If you have a Sat Nav they can certainly give you an idea of the sharpness of a bend, but as someone else said the vanishing point will tell you when to start applying some power coming out of a bend, but remember bends sometimes have a double apex and can tighten up again and the vanishing point will not tell you about the broken down coach just out of sight as you start to apply the beans.

Common sense and self preservation will stand you in good stead, as will sensible use of a Sat Nav and using the V Point. Local knowledge is also useful for everyday riding, but statistics show most accidents happen with 3 or 4 miles of home.

Watching for telegraph poles along county roads can give you an idea of the direction of bends in the road ahead (they tend to follow the road, but not always)
Fresh clumps of dirt/mud and grass along a road could indicate a tractor could have recently passed that way or is around the corner cutting the hedges, a pile of manure in the road could mean horses or cattle in the road around the bend.

Keep your wits about you and don't be lulled into a false sense of security.

When riding with mates things can sometimes get out of hand, everyone one wants to be a Mr Martin, if you start to feel it is getting silly drop back, better be 5 minutes late than dead on time.

If you do go around a bend to quickly and are surprised by a obstacle in your way, start your braking/avoidance procedure and look away (Avert your gaze) from the obstacle and manoeuvre the bike around it or stop, Target Fixation through surprise or fear will steal you no claims bonus or you life quicker than pretty much anything else on a bike.

Stay safe, ride with dipped headlights on, wear bright colours, I know a floro waistcoat and a floro yellow skid lid does not look cool, but then neither does a foccing wheelchair. :eek
« Last Edit: 07 December 2017, 01:16:41 am by tommyardin »

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 07 December 2017, 01:22:20 am »
Wow,I'm taking a caning over this :) . Look out for a Garmin in the For Sale section :lol . I've obviously given the impression that I'm riding around staring at a satnav. In evaluating the usefullness of this gadget on a foreign trip,bearing in mind I've ridden for almost 55 years without one,so must have been doing something right. It efficiently got me across a few towns and a city where I've encountered diversions etc in the past. The ability to have the speed displayed in kph was handy for obvious reasons,as well as being able to locate petrol stations when out in the sticks,more for my pals benefit than mine. Lastly,as an aside, I felt that to have the knowledge that an up coming blind bend on an unfamiliar road is going to be 180° is no bad thing,in my view.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #22 on: 07 December 2017, 01:44:09 am »
It was also useful in the twisties to be prepared for any bends that really tightened up, thus minimising any surprises.

I'm with you on this one.

Despite the (incorrect) implications by others that you're "staring at the Sat Nav all the time", it's no different from a mirror check, speedo check or lifesaver etc in that you don't do it at a critical point when you need your vision on the road ahead, but you do it as part of your visual scan.

I have my TomTom Rider set up for 2D rather than 3D map view since that gives you more view of what the road ahead might be doing *before* you get into the bend and find that it suddenly tightens on you.

Of course it's not a substitute for watching for Limit Point, visual clues such as telephone poles and so on as tommyardin points out, but it's another potentially useful piece of information which, used correctly, will be of benefit to you :thumbup

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 07 December 2017, 01:49:30 am »
Hope you did not feel I was giving you stick, The SatNav is a tool in your armoury and can give you upfront warning of a tight bend.
There are so many hazards out there that want to bite your arse, we need to use all that armoury to our best advantage.
Ride within your ability, if your uncertain drop 10 mph. I know all this stuff and of course its fine saying it sat on the sofa with my iPad on my lap, but we all make f--k ups and get it wrong from time to time.
Like you I have been around the bike scene a long time, I passed my bike test in 1966,
I have ended up in A & E a couple of times, so know some of the pitfalls of riding a motorcycle, but being complacent or overly confident will bite your bum sooner or later.
I think that riders today are probably better trained than we ever were, my bike test was a joke and to be honest my car test was not much better.

Flooky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 07 December 2017, 01:12:45 pm »

I have been riding with Robbo 20 odd years now and if you can keep up your doing well, sat nav or no sat nav.
If he says its a handy trick its a handy trick.
The trouble with forums is people can just trot off stuff that may or may not be true, an example is ..someone on here was giving advice on static sag and handling issues etc then a couple of months later asked what oil to use !!!
Like the thread about blipping the throttle, WTF ?
Just cos you got a licence don't make you a rider.
Robbo is.
ps, I aint bumming him, hes too ugly