Date: 28-03-24  Time: 15:54 pm

Author Topic: bike mis-fire,rev counter stops working,lights dim then it all works again??  (Read 3348 times)

gosport paul

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Hi folks,I have a 600 fazer 2000my,has been fine ,then it started playing up,rev counter stop working,bike won't rev over 2000rpm,lights fade a bit,then comes back ok again,can do 10 miles no fault,or straight off the driveway,has anyone else had the same problem.
I have tried wiggling the wires behind the battery,it seems to stop temporarily then plays up again,have cleaned all the connections,tested voltage when running ok at 13.8-14v,then drops to 12-12.5 when rev counter stops working,any ideas on the fault?
Thanks

daviee

bad connection somewhere you will just need to go through all connections could be a bad earth sounds like you reg could be on its way out if the voltage is dropping thats the first place i would check it has a block connector and can fur  up and give intermittent charging   

gosport paul

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile

thanks
« Last Edit: 30 November 2017, 06:11:44 pm by gosport paul »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

gosport paul

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
cheers for the link,seems cheap :)

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
  • riding till i die (or breakdown)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fazer stolen - gsx1100 rebuild
    • View Profile
    • disorderly punks motovlog
sounds like something that hapened to my old honda
turned out to be corroded battery terminals a quick clean and all ran well again
(was thankfull as i was stuck in the middle of nowhere)

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
I’ve got one of these on my bike, they’re a steal at that price.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Regulator-Rectifier-Voltage-Fit-YYAMAHA-TDM850-XVZ1300-95-05-FZS600-98-03-2002/131919012179?hash=item1eb6fc6153:g:kZwAAOSw-itXvqzK

I’d recommend contacting the supplier first to get the measurement of the cable on the reg/rect unit before buying. I got with one that had such a short cable it couldn’t be plugged in, despite it being advertised as suitable for the FZS600.

gosport paul

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
ok thanks for that advice,i'll message them first

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Hi folks,I have a 600 fazer 2000my,has been fine ,then it started playing up,rev counter stop working,bike won't rev over 2000rpm,lights fade a bit,then comes back ok again,can do 10 miles no fault,or straight off the driveway,has anyone else had the same problem.
I have tried wiggling the wires behind the battery,it seems to stop temporarily then plays up again,have cleaned all the connections,tested voltage when running ok at 13.8-14v,then drops to 12-12.5 when rev counter stops working,any ideas on the fault?
Thanks

I only started getting into the electrical side of things recently so you might be better waiting for someone more experienced but I think the highlighted part of what you said is the important clue to your problem and you need to be 100% certain that what you said there is correct because if the bike is dropping down to battery voltage while it's running it means it must be losing the ability to generate it's own electricity supply so if I was you I'd be checking the stator and the regulator/rectifier. For the stator check for continuity between the three phases, check the phase resistances,  check if any of the phases are shorting to ground and check the AC output when the bike is running also check it's wiring and connectors going up to the regular/rectifier. If the AC voltage is in spec then the regulator/rectifier is probably the culprit. Sometimes electrical problems only show up when things get hot which might explain why you're only having the problem sometimes so do your measurements when the bike's hot and cold.

Have a look at these videos if you're not sure about how to do the stator tests. They sound complicated but they're easy to do and you don't have to fully understand them, just have to do them

! No longer available

! No longer available

Have a look at page 8-26 of the workshop manual too. http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=8

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
I’ve got one of these on my bike, they’re a steal at that price.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Regulator-Rectifier-Voltage-Fit-YYAMAHA-TDM850-XVZ1300-95-05-FZS600-98-03-2002/131919012179?hash=item1eb6fc6153:g:kZwAAOSw-itXvqzK

I’d recommend contacting the supplier first to get the measurement of the cable on the reg/rect unit before buying. I got with one that had such a short cable it couldn’t be plugged in, despite it being advertised as suitable for the FZS600.

I just checked and i bought it just over a year ago from the the same supplier so it should be okay.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
Thanks

As Daviee mentioned I would also think it is more or a bad connection as 13.8 to 14 is good and dropping to 12 to 12.5 would be normal if the engine dies, which from you post seems to be what is actually happening. the misfire is when it restarts with extra fuel having being dumped into the engine when it cuts out. I would suggest you check the connections in the black box under the tank. There is  a red block connector in there with Red and( as far as I can remember) Brown/Blue wires, this is the main supply from the Ignition switch and can corrode and/or burn from arcing it will cause the problem you describe. Check that first before buying anything you may not need

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Don't you just love it when people come up with great ideas for sorting out stuff  :D

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
i find it brilliant how it instantly comes to buying a new part and not the free stuff first - its even possible to test the reg rec instead of just replacing it
ooh it had a battery drop it must be the reg rec broken - NO because the chances are the test was done top side of the battery terminals so a voltage drop can show from a bad earth or positive connection due to corrosion, or a bad connection on the reg rec connections that a a quick pull apart and clean could sort in seconds
maybe more people need to be skin flints first then waste money later lol

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
i find it brilliant how it instantly comes to buying a new part and not the free stuff first - its even possible to test the reg rec instead of just replacing it
ooh it had a battery drop it must be the reg rec broken - NO because the chances are the test was done top side of the battery terminals so a voltage drop can show from a bad earth or positive connection due to corrosion, or a bad connection on the reg rec connections that a a quick pull apart and clean could sort in seconds
maybe more people need to be skin flints first then waste money later lol

My bike, along with the regulator, was 17yrs old, spending £12.99 on it is hardly wasting money was it? It's just replacing a very old part for a new one.
And it is Christmas  :lol

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Anyone else hate it when the original poster doesn't update the thread? It's like reading a book and the last chapter is ripped out  :lol

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
he has been pushing it home for the last 4 days - suddenly that long distance rideout was a bad idea