Date: 29-03-24  Time: 15:18 pm

Author Topic: 47 BHP Throttle Restrictor?  (Read 6378 times)

NolanNorth

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
47 BHP Throttle Restrictor?
« on: 29 November 2017, 07:40:33 pm »
Hi guys,

I'm new here as I've been looking at buying a FZ6 (2008) . I've seen multiple threads in other places talking about 33bhp restrictors but can't for the life of me find anywhere that can do a 47bhp restriction on an FZ6. This is for the UK on an A2 license. I assumed since it has been done to 33bhp before it would be easy to restrict down to 47. If anyone has any experience with restricting down to comply with A2 license regulations in the Uk then please let me know!

This is the only thing I've found and I can't tell if it's a throttle restrictor or not.

http://www.busters-accessories.co.uk/en/507513/vehicle/yamaha-fz6-s2-600:61247/article/507513/

I have emailed the company but they are taking their sweet time getting back to me.

Thanks

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: 47 BHP Throttle Restrictor?
« Reply #1 on: 29 November 2017, 10:25:31 pm »
I removed a Yamaha OE 33 Bhp version for a mate mate of an Fz6. That consisted of a throttle stop restrictor to reduce cable travel and a ground wire that cut the spark. It was horrible with the kit fitted but the lad bought it new and Dealer wouldn’t supply the bike without the kit.

Obviously not at all helpful for your original question!
« Last Edit: 29 November 2017, 10:30:40 pm by Trebus »

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 November 2017, 11:35:53 pm »
Who would ever know whether it was restricted or not, would the bobby in his noddy car know, or, old foot plod, just don't have an accident, you could always plead ignorance, I know ignorance is no excuse.
But hey-ho! You gotta do as your conscience guides yer.
I would not suggest that you break the law, like you do every time you go above 70 mph :eek
« Last Edit: 29 November 2017, 11:36:29 pm by tommyardin »

NolanNorth

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 November 2017, 12:22:20 am »
Hmm fair enough. I did ring an insurance company for a quote so I know what my ball park is. Previous bike was stolen last month :/. They asked me what license and I specifically stated an A2 motorcycle license and if the bike being restricted would affect the cost or not. Person on the phone said no it wouldn't as I have the right license to ride... I might end up deciding to not bother having it restricted as that is more money than I have as I still need to buy front and rear disc lock, maybe a spare chain as well as a tracker. The joys of paranoia when you get a bike stolen from you. Bloody battery powered angle grinders!

Thanks for your replies :)

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 November 2017, 10:01:06 am »
Hi Nolan,
Sorry to hear you had a bike stolen, that's a bummer.
Was it a bike you loved or just a mode of transport? That makes a huge difference to the way you feel about it.

Was it stolen from home or out and about when it went?

No matter what security you have in place if someone is determined to take it, and, they have time on their side they will take it from you.

i am fortunate where I live in a rural Hampshire Village, fairly quiet area and I live in a Cul-de-Sac, 20 other houses in the road (Neighbourhood watch) so only one way in and out, thieves don't like that.

But I have my bike undercover up the side of my house under a covered walkway during the summer (2 Gates and a front garden from the road) but I still ensure the steering lock is on all the time, I also have a disc lock on the front disc and a heavy steel ground anchor point that is concreted into the ground about 2.5 foot deep.
My bike is an old Fazer FZS 600, 2003, but it is in lovely condition, it has always been looked after and serviced long before services are due, I would be mortified if she was taken from me, it would be like losing an old friend and my thoughts towards the perpetrator would not be very Christian.
Hope your insurance sorted you out OK for the loss.
Any pictures of the old and the new bike always nice to see others steeds?
below is a couple of my fav pics of my FZS
« Last Edit: 30 November 2017, 10:05:30 am by tommyardin »

NolanNorth

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 November 2017, 11:37:46 am »

I loved my old bike to be fair, I was a mixture of angry and devastated it had been stolen. It was my first "big bike" as I had owned two 125cc bikes before that, a 2002 CBR 125 and a YZF-R125 (forgot what year it was). I had gone to play badminton for the first time at a centre I go to the gym regularly, unfortunately badminton was at 8:30 - 10:30 at night and I never went to the centre that late for the gym :/.

I'm looking at the potential new bike tomorrow with a mechanic I trust so hopefully all is good. Last one we looked at had a damaged frame from a previous theft he "forgot" to tell me about as well as having the ecu (?) reprogrammed unofficially so it would have cost £700 - £1000 to get that done properly I was told.

Below are a couple pictures of my old XJ6N.

« Last Edit: 30 November 2017, 11:38:55 am by NolanNorth »

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #6 on: 30 November 2017, 08:53:30 pm »
Who would ever know whether it was restricted or not,

You have an off. The bike is picked up by the insurance company who decide to check it out. They find it's not restricted and declare your policy invalid. You then get done for riding without insurance...

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 December 2017, 12:20:53 am »
Who would ever know whether it was restricted or not,

You have an off. The bike is picked up by the insurance company who decide to check it out. They find it's not restricted and declare your policy invalid. You then get done for riding without insurance...

Now come along Grahamm, you know the old saying, text taken out of context becomes a pretext. You have taken a few words out of the context of what and the way it was said.
I asked the question would car or foot plod know whether this bike was restricted or not, I also mentioned the legal ramifications about having an accident, and that ignorance is no excuse in law, should you decide to go the illegal route, and left it up to the conscience of the rider.

'Who would ever know whether it is restricted or not' is just a part of the story.

It's like me saying 'My kids are always badly behaved' that comment would make you think my kids are really naughty children all the time, but if I finish the sentace by saying 'when it's time to get out of the bath' the story now looks completely different.

Make me wonder then if you have an accident and a tyre tread is below the legal limit, would your insurance be null and void because the bike was illegal and not road worthy therefore was being driven on the road illegally, if so then would the same apply to speeding, I know having no mot voids your insurance, what about Road Tax?

« Last Edit: 01 December 2017, 12:24:54 am by tommyardin »

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 December 2017, 12:29:27 am »
Hi Nolan,
Nice looking bike I can see why you would be well pissed off about losing it.
Post some pics in here of your new bike when you get it.
Happy purchase  :rollin

NolanNorth

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 December 2017, 10:10:52 pm »
Good new is I am now the proud owner of a 2008 FZ6 S2 in White with the red "go faster" stripe down the fuel tank. It's at the mechanic's shop as it needed a new rear tyre, clutch cable (could have done this myself.. just about), new bolts on the front brake caliper, and a couple new bolts throughout the exhaust system. So got the price down a good amount so the money I saved will go towards everything that will be getting done to it.
I'm ringing a Yamaha dealer tomorrow to find out if they have or know of any restrictor kits that would be ideal. Looking to have the bike in my possession next week :)

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 December 2017, 08:38:00 pm »
My S2 fazer had, at some point in the past, been restricted. When i went to view it still had the sticker on the frame. I queried the power with the dealer, they had previously removed the restrictors but forgotten to remove the sticker. Might be worth a call to see if theyve still got the kit. B and B suzuki at Lincoln

NolanNorth

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11 December 2017, 10:29:13 pm »
Bit of a late reply but I rang my local Yamaha dealer and all they said was that they are aware of them existing and suggested to look on Ebay for it but I've had no luck with it.

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #13 on: 13 December 2017, 01:12:52 pm »
You should find another dealer NolanNorth. Any dealer worth their salt will know how to get and fit them.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

NolanNorth

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 December 2017, 06:02:17 pm »
I haven't been to them in a while to be honest. I only rang them to find out if they were available. Agricola I think that's the one I linked in the main post didn't I? Don't suppose you can tell from the image what type of restriction that is? I've been looking for a throttle restrictor as that's what I had on my xj6.

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 14 December 2017, 03:24:40 pm »
From the image, id say its an exhaust system based restriction. There are 4  plates taht look like header clamps, and 4 top hat items that look as if they would sit in the headers

NolanNorth

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 15 December 2017, 08:57:59 pm »
Have you got any idea on what it does to the engine? I've had someone tell me (not sure on his knowledge of bikes and this specific restrictor type) that it ruins the engine after a while? If not then I'm all for getting it done as long as the engine doesn't get ruined by it?
I do plan on taking my A license test early next year if I can save up the money.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 15 December 2017, 10:05:04 pm »
105 quid to slow a bike down Ahhhhhh! :'(

Not convinced that restricting the exhaust gasses out is a very good idea, the must be a way of restricting the fuel in, I'm just thinking out loud really, but smaller injectors or something that restricts the twist grip.

I think the carbed models might be easier to restrict, but that's no help to you with a 600 S2 injected.
Nice looking bike though Nolan

NolanNorth

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 16 December 2017, 12:02:51 am »
Ah ok. I'll keep my eye out. I'd rather not have my insurance void IF I do have an accident.

The pictures are from my old one. Picking up the new one from the mechanic in the morning so when I've got it I'll upload some pictures of the new ride :)

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 16 December 2017, 09:53:11 am »
Ah ok. I'll keep my eye out. I'd rather not have my insurance void IF I do have an accident.

The pictures are from my old one. Picking up the new one from the mechanic in the morning so when I've got it I'll upload some pictures of the new ride :)

Cool yeah I realised the pics were of you stolen steed but I google imaged the S2 FZ6.
In some ways the two bikes are not dissimilar.

« Last Edit: 16 December 2017, 09:57:58 am by tommyardin »

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 16 December 2017, 10:03:45 am »
We all hanker after our first love, a requited love that was never meant to be.

NolanNorth

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 22 December 2017, 12:12:24 am »
It keeps freezing every time I try to post pictures of the new bike... Hopefully this time it will work?

I aplogize for the poor quality of the photo's. When I find some spare time I'll try and get some proper photos and not rubbish ones in my Garage :')
« Last Edit: 22 December 2017, 12:16:45 am by NolanNorth »