Bikes, Hints'n'Tips > Fazer 1000/FZ1 corner

Airbox removal

(1/2) > >>

ptolemyx:
What am I missing? How do you get the airbox out of the way on a gen1 to work on the carbs??????? I've got tank (including rear bracket) off, side covers off, airbox sides off, airbox lid off, battery out, as many screws and bolts and hoses as I can find undone. I've the airbox loose off the carbs but can't see how to remove it completely from the bike. Do you have to separate the front and rear parts of the airbox, if so how do you get at the screws? Shop manual says drain the coolant; why???

ptolemyx:
Looks like its going to be the standard remove the bank of carbs procedure then   :groan
http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/carbremoval.html
Something I wanted to avoid, prefering to leave that for Mike when he Ivanises  ;)

Dustydes:
Ask Falcon 269 he is the man for this job.

Mustang:
Needs to get mine out as some muppets it the back off

Falcon 269:
You can't remove the airbox completely without actually dismantling it and even then, you have to remove the carbs first before you can get all the parts of the airbox out. :)

To remove the carbs, simply ensure that the airbox is as far back as it will go.  To achieve this you need to pull the EXUP cables out to the right side of the frame and also move the coolant pipe that sits behind the airbox.  Make sure also that the zip tie holding the rear tank support rubber doesn't have the locking block between the frame cross rail and the airbox.

With the above measures taken care of the airbox should pull back to give around 1cm clearance which is more than enough to get the carbs out.  A squirt or two of WD40 helps ease things along. 

Final tip.  When you undo the rear clamps on the airbox-to-carb stubs, push them back on the stub and then tighten them up again.  This stops them slipping forward and fouling when you slide the carbs out. 

Or leave it for me to show you in December ... ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version