Bikes, Hints'n'Tips > FZS600 Fazer

Replacing Rear brake disc

(1/12) > >>

dilboy:
Hi all[/size]First I need a new rear brake discs on the advice of my mot Any recommendations,up to £80 is my limit How easy is it to do yourself

Cheers

Fazerider:

--- Quote from: dilboy on 20 November 2017, 09:59:35 am ---Hi all
First I need a new rear brake discs on the advice of my mot Any recommendations,up to £80 is my limit How easy is it to do yourself
Cheers

--- End quote ---
I've had 2nd hand ones and a new OEM in the past… the real difficulty is removal of the old one.
The screws corrode and the threadlock cures until it's up to full superglue strength. They are almost impossible to extract without them shearing. I've found that welding a bar to the head dumps enough heat in and gives the leverage needed to undo them, but the screws are obviously not reusable after that. So budget for some replacement screws and maybe some mechanics time if you don't have the equipment yourself.

Disorderlypunk:

if the wheel isnt off yet hit the bolts with some plus gas every day for a few days while your waiting for the new disc

if you aint got a welder but have a blowtorch get some heat on those bolts then hit them with some plus gas /wd40 / thin oil and let them cool
and give them a good whack with a hammer to shock them (every little helps)

there is also the candle wax trick but hardly anyone has candles anymore
then its time to get out the shortest socket you have and a breaker bar - those fuckers are tighter than a ducks arse but not as waterproof

darrsi:

--- Quote from: Disorderlypunk on 20 November 2017, 01:05:24 pm ---
if the wheel isnt off yet hit the bolts with some plus gas every day for a few days while your waiting for the new disc

if you aint got a welder but have a blowtorch get some heat on those bolts then hit them with some plus gas /wd40 / thin oil and let them cool
and give them a good whack with a hammer to shock them (every little helps)

there is also the candle wax trick but hardly anyone has candles anymore
then its time to get out the shortest socket you have and a breaker bar - those fuckers are tighter than a ducks arse but not as waterproof

--- End quote ---

I wouldn't really do this if the bike's still being used, otherwise it's all gonna get rather dangerous with oil on the disc and pads!

darrsi:
I've gotta change my rear disc and tyre at the weekend, I'm not looking forward to it at all to be honest, as the last time resulted in a new wheel when the only bolt that hinted at budging snapped in half, flush with the wheel hub.  :'(

I have a feeling that it may have been the original disc though so there would've been plenty of thread lock on the bolts.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version