Date: 29-03-24  Time: 11:51 am

Author Topic: DAFT QUESTION TIME .  (Read 3408 times)

Dinger1962

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • - 1987 tomos 50cc
    • View Profile
DAFT QUESTION TIME .
« on: 16 November 2017, 04:42:41 pm »
hi chaps i am picking up a yzf thundercat tomorrow to use as a winter hack is there anther site simillar (unofficial) to this one for the cat as this is most helpfull bike forum i know thanks --
MY GRANDAD TOLD ME -WHAT DOESNT KILL YOU MAKES YOU STRONGER--EXCEPT FOR A BEAR THAT WILL DEFINATELY KILL YOU---

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
Re: DAFT QUESTION TIME .
« Reply #1 on: 16 November 2017, 04:48:26 pm »

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 November 2017, 05:17:41 pm »
I'm a member over there too as I used to have a thundercat but the forum is pretty much dead. There's a little talk in the mechanical help section but that's about it.
Cracking bikes the Thundercat though. You might find yourself riding it through the summer too haha

Dinger1962

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • - 1987 tomos 50cc
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 November 2017, 07:29:44 pm »
Thanks chaps Stu
MY GRANDAD TOLD ME -WHAT DOESNT KILL YOU MAKES YOU STRONGER--EXCEPT FOR A BEAR THAT WILL DEFINATELY KILL YOU---

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 November 2017, 09:26:47 pm »
The Thundercat is also known as the YZF600F in the states and they have a website http://www.yzf600r-usa.com/ or you could try http://thundercats.org/forums/index.php

A friend used to have a 99 model, he absolutely trashed by him and never left him down. I was absolutely amazed it lasted from the way he rode it, granted he did service it regularly, eventually the down pipes gave up the ghost and then he sold it. The new owner put stainless pipes on it and last time I saw it on a bike run about two years ago and was still going strong

The turning circle would not be as good as the 600 Fazer and the fork adjusters seize up at the first sign of salt, but that is an issue on many bikes.
Engine generally has similar faults as the Fazer 600 as the bottom end is virtual identical.
The front calipers will need a bit more maintenance than the Fazer but Fazer ones will fit, the downpipes rust quicker than the fazer ones and is a good buying point if they have not been replaced. The fact they are covered by the fairing many forget them until they start blowing.
Standard Lights are better than the Fazer Boxeye but not as good as the foxeye but an upgrade to nightbreakers will improve them
Corrosion is probably its biggest problem.

It is a cracking machine for its age and plenty of spares around for them and very comfortable on long journeys

Dinger1962

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • - 1987 tomos 50cc
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 November 2017, 06:36:20 pm »
Thanks Unfazed picked up from mates shed today wouldnt turn over--Been in shed since aug2016--i know it was in good order when he took it off the road--i charged the battery no probs there--went to start bike nothing at all red light with pic of engine lights up then goes out when i release the starter button--my guess would be bad connectors will check this in morning--i know you switched on to these engines maybe you could shed some light on the subject (cant hear pump prime or starter solenoid clicking) cheers stu-

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 November 2017, 07:11:48 pm »
Check the Kill Switch. Might need a clean but if you press it On/Off a few times it usually sorts it out.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 November 2017, 07:18:03 pm »
As above but best thing is to check all the connectors, it is most likely the side stand switch circuit. Check the connector on the starter cut out relay for corrosion and if that is ok check the side stand connector
« Last Edit: 17 November 2017, 07:21:00 pm by unfazed »

Dinger1962

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • - 1987 tomos 50cc
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 November 2017, 03:47:31 pm »
Thanks chaps it was kill switch sprayed with w d 40 flicked back and forward a few times fuel pump primed itself pressed starter she fired into life (this is still best forum site )will see how it compares to my fzs6 soon thanks again regards Stu--

Dinger1962

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • - 1987 tomos 50cc
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 November 2017, 05:58:34 pm »
fz6 fazer not fzs typo sorry--

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18 November 2017, 10:39:37 pm »
Yay. Good one.
You'd best go through every connector you can and clean with WD40 (or better still ACF50 but it's more expensive) or you may end up with more hassles just when you don't want them.

Dinger1962

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • - 1987 tomos 50cc
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 November 2017, 01:22:11 pm »
Thats todays job cheers --

johnakay

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - tracer 700
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 November 2017, 08:12:09 pm »
good bikes them T/cats I've had 2 of them.

If I wanted to make a life-long career out of
working with the mentally retarded I would
have opened a Harley Davidson Dealership!

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24 November 2017, 12:37:07 am »
Daft questions? If quizzes are quizzical what are tests?
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24 November 2017, 08:30:03 am »
Daft questions? If quizzes are quizzical what are tests?

Essential if you want to ride a powerful bike  :lol