Date: 28-03-24  Time: 11:14 am

Author Topic: Battery powered heated gloves  (Read 8156 times)

Kenbob

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Battery powered heated gloves
« on: 13 November 2017, 07:33:51 pm »
do any foccers use battery powered heated gloves during winter or have you tried them.
Was thinking of purchasing some but wanted a few opinions before I spent my hard earned

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
Re: Battery powered heated gloves
« Reply #1 on: 13 November 2017, 07:41:44 pm »
If you are looking at the one's at Maplin, they are crap. The batteries don't last five minutes.
The vastly more expensive one's are apparently quite good but you can get 'wired' heated gloves that work great, I recommend Gerbing gloves - I think they do battery one's or at least battery packs but I can't be sure.

celticbiker

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 November 2017, 07:50:16 pm »
Got a pair of Weiss ones a couple of years ago.  As stated above the batteries only lasted about 18 months (about 500 charges) and getting caught in a monsoon on the motorway with my gloves on the outside refilled with the left one shorting  out and never working again.
I'm going Santa brings me some weird ones this year.
Oh BTW, when they worked the batteries only lasted for 2 hours as well.
(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste
(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help
(")-(") him gain world domination!

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 November 2017, 08:29:04 pm »
I fancy the idea myself but as I already have some winter gloves im looking for some thin powered inner gloves 2 hours would do me for a quick winter blat (they wont get wet )
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 November 2017, 09:20:33 pm »
I fancy the idea myself but as I already have some winter gloves im looking for some thin powered inner gloves 2 hours would do me for a quick winter blat (they wont get wet )

These the kind of thing yiur after Sharpe?

https://www.primrose.co.uk/-p-69398.html?adtype=pla&kwd=&option=7947&gclid=CjwKCAiAoqXQBRA8EiwAIIOWsoaaHVa8SIcZQNjoJn5Ss-VJ4Tru96eDDcj7A8nqUJavKBjuzKS9ZBoCFd8QAvD_BwE

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 November 2017, 10:20:01 pm »

These the kind of thing yiur after Sharpe?

https://www.primrose.co.uk/-p-69398.html?adtype=pla&kwd=&option=7947&gclid=CjwKCAiAoqXQBRA8EiwAIIOWsoaaHVa8SIcZQNjoJn5Ss-VJ4Tru96eDDcj7A8nqUJavKBjuzKS9ZBoCFd8QAvD_BwE
Yeh but will need to move the battery pack

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 November 2017, 10:33:56 pm »
Gerbing do make a pair of heated liners but not battery powered.Being a liner they're not waterproof and are a touch short if £80. Gerbing seem to be the most reliable and troublefree manufacturer of heated gloves/clothing. Pity it's so expensive,but I suppose "get what you pay for" springs to mind.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

g5guzzi

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - cbf 1000fa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 November 2017, 11:14:46 pm »
RST make some battery heated gloves.Three heat settings .
last about 4 hours on lowest and about 2 hours on max.
Two years ago they were £150. spare batteries are about
£25 a pair.I find them useful when deicing the car and other
 outside winter activities as well as on the bike
The batteries do need to be kept charged when not in use
during the summer. I did not do this the first year and when
winter arrived one battery would not charge
Malc

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 November 2017, 06:57:13 am »
Get a set of heated grips, they're one of the greatest invention ever for a bike.
I stopped for a fuel top up yesterday and within 2 minutes of riding off i knew something was wrong, as i'd forgotten to turn them back on.
The highest setting on my ones will burn your hands through padded leather gloves in normal weather, but in mega cold weather they still get toasty even with freezing cold handle bars.
I would never have a bike without them now, and seriously don't know why they don't come fitted as standard.
Brilliant in rainy weather as well.  :thumbup
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

old son

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX10R
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 November 2017, 07:07:35 am »
Get a set of heated grips, they're one of the greatest invention ever for a bike.
I stopped for a fuel top up yesterday and within 2 minutes of riding off i knew something was wrong, as i'd forgotten to turn them back on.
The highest setting on my ones will burn your hands through padded leather gloves in normal weather, but in mega cold weather they still get toasty even with freezing cold handle bars.
I would never have a bike without them now, and seriously don't know why they don't come fitted as standard.

I find they warm my palms but the ends of my fingers still stay very cold! Heated gloves connected to the bike are by far the best option in my opinion but its a faf connecting them up. A long run always my heated gloves (and waistcoat and socks)

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 14 November 2017, 07:30:13 am »
I'm thinking about getting a set of these by Dr Bike- cheap and cheerful.

https://www.jsaccessories.co.uk/buy/Doctor-Bike-Drmhg-Heated-Grips-/10183.htm

Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

Kenbob

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 November 2017, 09:01:18 am »
RST make some battery heated gloves.Three heat settings .
last about 4 hours on lowest and about 2 hours on max.
Two years ago they were £150. spare batteries are about
£25 a pair.I find them useful when deicing the car and other
 outside winter activities as well as on the bike
The batteries do need to be kept charged when not in use
during the summer. I did not do this the first year and when
winter arrived one battery would not charge
Malc

If the batteries are lithium polymer then you should not store them fully charged as this can ruin the battery too.
Bet they don’t tell you that when you buy the gloves though.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 14 November 2017, 09:40:44 am »
The Dr.Bike heated grips certainly do the job.Had them on my Triumph until this year when I changed the handlebars resulting in them getting ruined during removal.I've now got the Oxford sports heated grips only because they were on offer and only just over a tenner more than the Dr.Bike. However heated gloves are far superior to heated grips if any distance is to be travelled to make the faff of plugging yourself in, worth it.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 14 November 2017, 04:17:58 pm »
Got a pair of Weiss ones a couple of years ago.  As stated above the batteries only lasted about 18 months (about 500 charges) and getting caught in a monsoon on the motorway with my gloves on the outside refilled with the left one shorting  out and never working again.
I'm going Santa brings me some weird ones this year.
Oh BTW, when they worked the batteries only lasted for 2 hours as well.

Found these for you Celtic are they weird enough  :eek   :fish :2fingers :pokefun :2guns :look

« Last Edit: 14 November 2017, 04:19:11 pm by tommyardin »

celticbiker

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 14 November 2017, 07:35:40 pm »
Bloody auto correct.
I prefer my prostate exam gloves.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 14 November 2017, 08:03:11 pm »
Bloody auto correct.

I thought they looked like this 🤔

celticbiker

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 14 November 2017, 08:16:07 pm »
Those are awesome.
I'll get some for Swmbo for Christmas.
Are they battery power or mains?
« Last Edit: 14 November 2017, 08:17:02 pm by celticbiker »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 14 November 2017, 08:19:31 pm »
I'm thinking about getting a set of these by Dr Bike- cheap and cheerful.

https://www.jsaccessories.co.uk/buy/Doctor-Bike-Drmhg-Heated-Grips-/10183.htm

They are the exact ones i’ve got on my bike right now, and although they seem cheap they are by far the hottest set i’ve ever had on a bike before, and i’ve had a few.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 14 November 2017, 08:22:49 pm »

I find they warm my palms but the ends of my fingers still stay very cold! Heated gloves connected to the bike are by far the best option in my opinion but its a faf connecting them up. A long run always my heated gloves (and waistcoat and socks)

I’ve always wanted some simple hand guards on my bike just to take the direct wind off my fingers, but there’s no way they’d ever fit on my bike, there’s simply zero room for any with the fairing in place.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 14 November 2017, 11:39:50 pm »

I’ve always wanted some simple hand guards on my bike just to take the direct wind off my fingers, but there’s no way they’d ever fit on my bike, there’s simply zero room for any with the fairing in place.

Guards and heated grips have been my choice for years but as said the Fazer won't take guards and allow full lock. Sod muffs.....
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
    • Beginner Biker Adventures
« Reply #20 on: 15 November 2017, 01:04:23 pm »
Gerbing do make a pair of heated liners but not battery powered.Being a liner they're not waterproof and are a touch short if £80. Gerbing seem to be the most reliable and troublefree manufacturer of heated gloves/clothing. Pity it's so expensive,but I suppose "get what you pay for" springs to mind.

I've been using their XR12 gloves for about 5 years. Reliable? -ish. I've been through a few pairs - electrical connection issues, cutting out etc. BUT Gerbing's offer a lifetime warranty on the electric side, no questions, they turned them around in couple of days. Each new pair has been getting better, design improved and lasting longer though. Current pair is first to do two winters and holding up well this winter too, so fingers crossed. Do any of the other manufactures offer a lifetime warranty? I mean seriously at this rate I'll never be buying winter gloves again, as electrics pack up long before the wear out!

I just plug them into bike; cable tied controller to jacket, threaded cabling down sleeves etc. Works fine, only about 30 seconds extra faff to plug stuff in. They do however have a pocket on gauntlet to accommodate a battery pack. About an extra £80-90 last time I checked though.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 16 November 2017, 11:27:24 pm »
Bloody auto correct.

FFS Dude you need to find some different websites to visit  :eek

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 17 November 2017, 07:18:48 am »
Bloody auto correct.

FFS Dude you need to find some different websites to visit  :eek

Hey don't knock um till you've tried um Tom 😉😂

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 01 December 2017, 10:58:34 am »
Been looking into this a little more and came across home made heated inner gloves using something called kanthal wire but they started showing graphs and talking about ohlms law and stuff and the possibility of the battery melting.
Can anyone with electronics expertise help me build some, the wire is in different gauges and my plan is to use 2500 rechargeable battery's 2 for each glove.

I only need enough power to heat the second half of 8 fingers and only for 1 or max 2 hours and only on the backs of the fingers.
Heated grips just wont do it for me as its only the fingers than get cold due to sh1t circulation, my winter gloves are good but after about 1/2 hour of riding the fingers start to get cold, my winter riding is a quick 1- 1 1/2 hour blast or until my fingers are too cold. so I only need to add extra heat for about 1 hour.
I was out for about 3 hours yesterday in one of the coldest days of the autumn/winter so far but I was only pootling around from shop to shop in traffic and I was fine but that is not what I usually do when I am out and the main cold factor is wind chill which is why I am thinking of just heating the back of the fingers.   
I have looked into hand guards but they just wont fit.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 01 December 2017, 01:44:44 pm »
Been looking into this a little more and came across home made heated inner gloves using something called kanthal wire but they started showing graphs and talking about ohlms law and stuff and the possibility of the battery melting.
Can anyone with electronics expertise help me build some, the wire is in different gauges and my plan is to use 2500 rechargeable battery's 2 for each glove.

I only need enough power to heat the second half of 8 fingers and only for 1 or max 2 hours and only on the backs of the fingers.
Heated grips just wont do it for me as its only the fingers than get cold due to sh1t circulation, my winter gloves are good but after about 1/2 hour of riding the fingers start to get cold, my winter riding is a quick 1- 1 1/2 hour blast or until my fingers are too cold. so I only need to add extra heat for about 1 hour.
I was out for about 3 hours yesterday in one of the coldest days of the autumn/winter so far but I was only pootling around from shop to shop in traffic and I was fine but that is not what I usually do when I am out and the main cold factor is wind chill which is why I am thinking of just heating the back of the fingers.   
I have looked into hand guards but they just wont fit.

Word of caution, i’ve bought a pair of gloves from a bike show many years ago and they had a thinsulate inner glove in them.
Problem i found was that the inner glove moved inside the outer glove on the throttle hand, so i found myself really having to grip the throttle to stop this happening which eventually became a nuisance and hard work.
You don’t realise that a lot of throttle work is done with just the palm of the hand.

I was lucky though to even get to try them, as when we got home my girlfrinds dog decided to chew the wrist part of one of them whilst hiding behind the couch.
I was not impressed.