Date: 28-03-24  Time: 19:35 pm

Author Topic: Battery powered heated gloves  (Read 8201 times)

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Battery powered heated gloves
« Reply #25 on: 01 December 2017, 02:27:32 pm »
Been looking into this a little more and came across home made heated inner gloves using something called kanthal wire but they started showing graphs and talking about ohlms law and stuff and the possibility of the battery melting.
Can anyone with electronics expertise help me build some, the wire is in different gauges and my plan is to use 2500 rechargeable battery's 2 for each glove.

I only need enough power to heat the second half of 8 fingers and only for 1 or max 2 hours and only on the backs of the fingers.
Heated grips just wont do it for me as its only the fingers than get cold due to sh1t circulation, my winter gloves are good but after about 1/2 hour of riding the fingers start to get cold, my winter riding is a quick 1- 1 1/2 hour blast or until my fingers are too cold. so I only need to add extra heat for about 1 hour.
I was out for about 3 hours yesterday in one of the coldest days of the autumn/winter so far but I was only pootling around from shop to shop in traffic and I was fine but that is not what I usually do when I am out and the main cold factor is wind chill which is why I am thinking of just heating the back of the fingers.   
I have looked into hand guards but they just wont fit.

Word of caution, i’ve bought a pair of gloves from a bike show many years ago and they had a thinsulate inner glove in them.
Problem i found was that the inner glove moved inside the outer glove on the throttle hand, so i found myself really having to grip the throttle to stop this happening which eventually became a nuisance and hard work.
You don’t realise that a lot of throttle work is done with just the palm of the hand.

I was lucky though to even get to try them, as when we got home my girlfrinds dog decided to chew the wrist part of one of them whilst hiding behind the couch.
I was not impressed.

Yes the inner glove movement issue did cross my mind. I have even thought of directly attached to my hands Goa'uld style.
But what were you doing hiding behind the couch. 
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 01 December 2017, 03:53:37 pm »
Been looking into this a little more and came across home made heated inner gloves using something called kanthal wire but they started showing graphs and talking about ohlms law and stuff and the possibility of the battery melting.
Can anyone with electronics expertise help me build some, the wire is in different gauges and my plan is to use 2500 rechargeable battery's 2 for each glove.

I only need enough power to heat the second half of 8 fingers and only for 1 or max 2 hours and only on the backs of the fingers.
Heated grips just wont do it for me as its only the fingers than get cold due to sh1t circulation, my winter gloves are good but after about 1/2 hour of riding the fingers start to get cold, my winter riding is a quick 1- 1 1/2 hour blast or until my fingers are too cold. so I only need to add extra heat for about 1 hour.
I was out for about 3 hours yesterday in one of the coldest days of the autumn/winter so far but I was only pootling around from shop to shop in traffic and I was fine but that is not what I usually do when I am out and the main cold factor is wind chill which is why I am thinking of just heating the back of the fingers.   

Word of caution, i’ve bought a pair of gloves from a bike show many years ago and they had a thinsulate inner glove in them.
Problem i found was that the inner glove moved inside the outer glove on the throttle hand, so i found myself really having to grip the throttle to stop this happening which eventually became a nuisance and hard work.
You don’t realise that a lot of throttle work is done with just the palm of the hand.

I was lucky though to even get to try them, as when we got home my girlfrinds dog decided to chew the wrist part of one of them whilst hiding behind the couch.
I was not impressed.

Yes the inner glove movement issue did cross my mind. I have even thought of directly attached to my hands Goa'uld style.
But what were you doing hiding behind the couch.

The damn dog was bloody hiding when I suddenly asked where he was, the little sod.
The guilt on his face was so blatant, he knew he'd done a wrong'un.  :lol
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

stet

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 01 December 2017, 05:21:12 pm »

The procedure for defining the design for home-made heated gloves is fairly straight-forward, from the electrical point of view. Of course, the physical construction is another matter. :)

But it is advisable to use a battery control circuit (BCC) (available on eBay for example)

The BCC has two functions:

(1) Limit the maximum current that the battery will supply in case of a short circuit

(2) Disconnect the battery when the battery terminal voltage drops to a certain level due to discharge: a lithium battery may get damaged if the terminal voltage drops below a specified voltage.

Just a few points:

(1) There are a load of rip-off batteries around, so only buy main-brand batteries (Sanyo, Panasonic, Samsung, Sony, etc) from a reliable source.

(2) You say that you are going for 2,500 mA/H batteries, but 3,500 mA/H batteries are available at a reasonable price. This will heat your gloves for a proportionally longer period.

(3) The capacity of a battery is much lower at low temperatures, so if you can house the batteries in a warm area  of your bike (25 deg C is is ideal) that would be an advantage, although when a battery provides power it self-heats so that will help

(4) The charger has a big impact on battery life and battery performance, so get a good smart charger and one that charges the batteries individually. As you are planning to have 4 batteries a charger with four individual charging ports is advisable.

This is just some opening info for you to consider. If you wish to go any further, maybe open a new thread.

stet
« Last Edit: 08 December 2017, 09:42:50 pm by stet »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 01 December 2017, 06:48:13 pm »
I had in mind Panasonic enaloope which is why I was saying 2500s and I already have NiMh chargers without having to buy lithium kit. I have a Maha charger with independent bays. Was thinking of running the wire to an inside pocket     

stet

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 08 December 2017, 06:59:41 pm »
Ah, got it. What physical size case are your batteries (AA)?

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 08 December 2017, 08:03:48 pm »
Yep AA, and thinking of 2 per glove - even if that would only give 1/2 hour of heat would be ok as it give me another 1/2 riding

Nemesis

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 08 December 2017, 08:10:54 pm »
Got a pair of RST ones with 20% off saving 38 quid from j and S in doncaster, cant wait to try them out over xmas :lol, good for 2 hrs on high setting and 4 hrs on low, also medium setting available will update what I think of them. just hoping for a few days where roads will be dry enough

https://www.jsaccessories.co.uk/buy/RST-Thermotech-2646-Heated-WP-Glov/26672.htm
« Last Edit: 08 December 2017, 08:50:35 pm by Nemesis »

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 08 December 2017, 08:15:51 pm »
Yep AA, and thinking of 2 per glove - even if that would only give 1/2 hour of heat would be ok as it give me another 1/2 riding

about 6 months then sharpie   :pokefun    :lol
One, is never going to be enough.....

stet

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 08 December 2017, 08:54:45 pm »

OK. With two Eneloop pro 2,500mA/H batteries in series per glove, you would get approx 1v*2= 2V average per glove and, say, with an average current of 2A (2,000mA), that would give you a duration of around 30 minutes and 2V*2A= 4W of average heating per glove.

To get this, the resistance of the heating wire in each glove should be 2V/2A= 1 Ohm.

Attached is the data sheet for an Eneloop pro 2,500mA/h NMH AA battery:
« Last Edit: 08 December 2017, 09:09:36 pm by stet »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 08 December 2017, 09:17:27 pm »

OK. With two Eneloop pro 2,500mA/H batteries in series per glove, you would get approx 1v*2= 2V average per glove and, say, with an average current of 2A (2,000mA), that would give you a duration of around 30 minutes and 2V*2A= 4W of average heating per glove.

To get this, the resistance of the heating wire in each glove should be 2V/2A= 1 Ohm.

Attached is the data sheet for an Eneloop pro 2,500mA/h NMH AA battery:
Thanks for all that.
would 4W be a good temp and
But would the wire length also be a factor and if I have it going up my sleeve to an inside pocket then that will also be heating which I do not need, so would that section just be a normal wire with very little resistance so it does not heat up.

stet

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 08 December 2017, 10:10:06 pm »
Thanks for all that.

No probs :)

would 4W be a good temp

I am no expert in MC heated gloves, but as far as I know, 8W minimum each glove would be better. 2A is already hitting the AA batteries pretty hard, so it would not be realistic to lower the heating element resistance (and increase the current drain and thus the power). Four AA batteries in series for each glove would give 4V which, with a 2 Ohm glove heating element, would generate 8W for each glove.

But would the wire length also be a factor and if I have it going up my sleeve to an inside pocket then that will also be heating which I do not need, so would that section just be a normal wire with very little resistance so it does not heat up.

Quite right: all conductors (wire, connectors, switches, battery holder contacts, etc) between the batteries and heating element in the gloves must be sufficiently substantial to ensure that only an acceptable amount of power is lost. A 10% power loss should be acceptable, so the total resistance of all conductors, in this case, should not exceed 0.1 Ohms (with a 1 Ohm heating element). With care, this should be achievable.
« Last Edit: 08 December 2017, 10:20:45 pm by stet »

stet

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 10 December 2017, 07:47:16 pm »
Don't know if these gloves are any use, but they are low cost and may be worth a try:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/152552617838?chn=ps&var=451943275842&dispctrl=0&adgroupid=49522826521&rlsatarget=pla-378973156056&abcId=1128966&adtype=pla&merchantid=107424964&googleloc=1007219&device=c&campaignid=857333952&crdt=0

My issue is that I do have some very good expensive gloves that are both warm and have protection, Racer Titian these in the picture. But because of crap circulation in the fingers they get cold, my hands - per-say do not get cold neither do my thumbs, so that is why I was thinking of inner glove and only to heat the fingers.

« Last Edit: 10 December 2017, 07:48:13 pm by fazersharp »

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 10 December 2017, 11:01:48 pm »
Don't know if these gloves are any use, but they are low cost and may be worth a try:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/152552617838?chn=ps&var=451943275842&dispctrl=0&adgroupid=49522826521&rlsatarget=pla-378973156056&abcId=1128966&adtype=pla&merchantid=107424964&googleloc=1007219&device=c&campaignid=857333952&crdt=0

My issue is that I do have some very good expensive gloves that are both warm and have protection, Racer Titian these in the picture. But because of crap circulation in the fingers they get cold, my hands - per-say do not get cold neither do my thumbs, so that is why I was thinking of inner glove and only to heat the fingers.

This what you need then sharpie?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F352165964965

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 10 December 2017, 11:02:51 pm »
I just realised they are the same ones I recommended earlier :doh:

stet

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 11 December 2017, 10:24:54 am »

The Racer Titan gloves look good. The electrical power just to heat your fingers may be less than to heat your whole hand, especially with an already well insulated glove.

I didn't explain fully in the link to the eBay gloves (and they were only an example and may not be the optimum choice): I meant to say that you could probably use the electronics (batteries, charger, etc) maybe even unravel the heating element, for your own design heated glove liner, especially in view of the low cost. Of course, Dudeofrude's  suggestion of a ready-made inner heating glove is the way, unless you are keen on some experimentation and a custom approach.
« Last Edit: 12 December 2017, 11:10:21 am by stet »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 11 December 2017, 11:33:02 am »

The Racer Titan gloves look good. The electrical power just to heat your fingers may be less than to heat your whole hand, especially with an already well insulated glove.

I didn't explain fully in the link to the eBay gloves (and they were only an example and may not be the optimum choice): I meant to say that you could probably use the electronics (batteries, charger, etc) maybe even unravel the heating element, for your own design heated glove liner, especially in view of the low cost. Of course, Dudefrude's  suggestion of a ready-made inner heating glove is the way, unless you are keen on some experimentation and a custom approach.
Yes that is a good idea for that price no trial and error involved might cost me more than that for the parts, I wonder even if those gloves are actually made as an inner and then its sewn inside. 

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 11 December 2017, 01:07:36 pm »
Just found these 

stet

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 11 December 2017, 11:58:09 pm »
Looks good!