Date: 28-03-24  Time: 14:02 pm

Author Topic: Front discs  (Read 3977 times)

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Front discs
« on: 08 November 2017, 02:17:12 pm »
I'm after a new set of front discs for my Fz1. Just wondering if there's anything worth looking at besides EBC or Armstrong? No Chinese shite.
Are there any British made companies producing them still?
There are some Viper ones knocking about but I can't find any info on them other than the fact they were sold by demontweeks (which usually means they're cheap crap)
Don't mind getting the ebc ones but I do sometimes feel I'm just paying for the brand name with that company

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
Re: Front discs
« Reply #1 on: 08 November 2017, 04:03:49 pm »
Hi Dude,
You could have a look at (ABE ) www.allbikeengineering.co.uk
020 88589052. They do good work.Haven't bought discs from them but have had a couple of rear shocks rebuilt by them. They're very helpful over the phone as well.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 November 2017, 08:37:06 pm »
Check the price on original Yamaha ones at AJ Suttons, I think they are less than £100 each.

Rob R

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2009 FZ1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 November 2017, 09:02:35 pm »
I'm trying these Galfer discs  https://calsport.co.uk/yamaha-fz-1-fazer-2009/galfer-braking . Not really run them in fully yet so initial bite seems a bit lacking, and they seem to need warming up a bit, but time will tell...
« Last Edit: 09 November 2017, 08:41:59 pm by Rob R »

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 November 2017, 09:00:42 am »
Thanks guys I'll take a look. That's a great price for the originals Ian but I'm after wavey ones again preferably.
On the subject of Viper discs, are they any good or Chinese shite? Only reason i ask is because the rear discs have been reduced to £30 in the clearance so I'm thinking of picking one up ready for when my rear has worn out?
« Last Edit: 09 November 2017, 12:41:41 pm by Dudeofrude »

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 November 2017, 12:34:54 pm »
I know you’re talking about discs but beware of Armstrong pads. I’ve used their sintered versions in the past on another bike and they were simply awful in the wet. In fact they were dangerous, no bite at all.

crickleymal

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 November 2017, 01:08:24 pm »
I know you’re talking about discs but beware of Armstrong pads. I’ve used their sintered versions in the past on another bike and they were simply awful in the wet. In fact they were dangerous, no bite at all.

Seconded. Real brown trouser moment coming over Cymystwyth in the wet.
Malc

Old enough to know better.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 November 2017, 10:02:58 pm »

I'd never actually heard of armstrong until I started looking for discs haha just seen a set of their pads for sale, not the cheapest either are they and given your reviews I'll make sure I avoid then and stick to what I know.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 November 2017, 06:40:47 am »
Check the price on original Yamaha ones at AJ Suttons, I think they are less than £100 each.

How has that come about then, the 1000 discs are three time cheaper than the 600 ones?
WTF ???  :look
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 November 2017, 03:17:50 pm »

How has that come about then, the 1000 discs are three time cheaper than the 600 ones?

The pricing structure is weird, brake discs for my bike , FZ1s,are £140 while discs for a FZn are less than £100.
Same basic bike, one is half faired and one is naked, would have thought the discs were the same.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 November 2017, 04:21:33 pm »

The pricing structure is weird, brake discs for my bike , FZ1s,are £140 while discs for a FZn are less than £100.
Same basic bike, one is half faired and one is naked, would have thought the discs were the same.

They are the same aren't they? Least I hope so cause the discs I've just ordered just said Fz1, didn't specify whether is was naked or faired 🤔

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 November 2017, 05:23:26 pm »

They are the same aren't they? Least I hope so cause the discs I've just ordered just said Fz1, didn't specify whether is was naked or faired 🤔

Checked all the specs and they appear to be the same discs

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16 November 2017, 09:42:38 pm »

Hi Dude,
020 88589052. They do good work.Haven't bought discs from them but have had a couple of rear shocks rebuilt by them. They're very helpful over the phone as well.

I have their front discs and so far so good :)  soon to order a rear from them as well
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 17 November 2017, 05:41:36 am »

I will add "Gold Fren" to that list too. I bought some for my other bike and they are definitely the worst pads I have ever bought - brown trouser moment in wet or dry.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 17 November 2017, 06:05:40 am »

Hi Dude,

I have their front discs and so far so good :)  soon to order a rear from them as well

The plan was to order a new rear disc last week from ABE, but i simply don't like the idea of giving my card details over the phone, i find that in this day and age it's complete stupidity and shouldn't even be allowed for security reasons.
If you're gonna display stuff on a website then surely it can't be that difficult to let you pay for your goods safely on it as well?

I then flicked through Ebay and found a Galfer disc that had around 20% off on it so bought that instead, i should be getting it today.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 17 November 2017, 07:17:56 am »

I will add "Gold Fren" to that list too. I bought some for my other bike and they are definitely the worst pads I have ever bought - brown trouser moment in wet or dry.

Well this is mainly the reason I'm changing discs as mine is the same in the wet. I really discovered it after being out in the rain a few weeks ago. There just isn't any braking at all until they are warmed up (which didn't happen until after a good 4 miles of me deliberately trting to warm them) it was literally like having grease on the pads, even at slow speed I had to pretty much crush the lever to be able to slow down. Nearly hit the back of a bus when i first pulled away. Weird thing is there are perfectly fine in the dry and can stop from silly speeds with just 1 or 2 fingers on the lever. I have EBC sintered pads in so I know it's not them.
Anyway have some new discs on the way so will just be avoiding rain until they are fitted 

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 17 November 2017, 09:10:40 am »
Another good choice for discs-

http://www.blackshadow-uk.co.uk/
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 27 November 2017, 06:41:11 pm »
Another quick question. I've acquired my new discs (which shall be getting fitted at the end of the winter) and ive bought some new pads to go with the fronts but I also purchased a new rear disc ( just so they all match 🤓) but I only put new pads on there around 400miles ago, will I still need to change them out or do you think they'll be alright?

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 27 November 2017, 08:10:14 pm »
Very much depends on the wear pattern, but the recommendation is new discs new pads. Keep the old ones for next change when the disc will have worn a little.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 28 November 2017, 08:04:09 am »
Very much depends on the wear pattern, but the recommendation is new discs new pads. Keep the old ones for next change when the disc will have worn a little.

Sounds like a plan, cheers