Date: 23-04-24  Time: 14:27 pm

Author Topic: Thinking of selling  (Read 2495 times)

crickleymal

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Thinking of selling
« on: 08 November 2017, 09:47:23 am »
I'm contemplating getting rid of the FZS600. It's another expense I don't need and it's not getting used for 4 months of the year. So what sort of value would you put on a 1998 bike with 42k on the clock. No major damage, a few slight scratches (and I mean slight, barely cutting through the top coat). It's got a top box, not that that materially affects the cost. Valve clearances done 18 months ago (if I can find the receipt). Basically it's a completely average example.
Malc

Old enough to know better.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking of selling
« Reply #1 on: 08 November 2017, 11:02:00 am »
I bet a Pound to a pinch of Chinese Excrement you will regret selling the bike within 3 months you will end up with 8 or maybe 9 hundred quid cash that will disappear almost over night and then you have nothing to show for it.

I done stuff like that myself in the past because I needed a few quid because of pressing things to pay and regretted it evermore.

Sure you could possibly buy another at a later date, but, the chances are that the one you have now you know and have kept well maintained, a replacement you will know nothing about.
But we all have to do what we have to do.
Oh! one other thing, I could also mind my own fucking business. :eek

crickleymal

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 November 2017, 12:40:10 pm »
I know what you mean. But with parking round the hospital where I work being appalling and with me not using the  bike much over the winter and with paying for a space on someone's drive......
It's a 50 mile each way commute each day and TBH I'd rather sit in the warm with a decent sound system even if it does take me longer.
Malc

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 November 2017, 03:27:25 pm »
Fair Dinkum.
Parking is not an issue where I live, and, I always worked on building sites so again parking not an issue.
Retired now so now commutes at all and lovin it.
If you do sell the bike keep us updated on what price you got, and, inform the new owner about FOC-U.
tommy

redmandan

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 November 2017, 01:52:14 pm »
Like Tommy says you'd likely get less than a grand for a bike about halfway through it's life which you know to be in good nick. What about some kind of lend/lease to a family member or good mate so you can still get it back?

Having said that I think in maybe 5 years time I would put some money into a nice BMW or Triumph that would be coming into my price range.

crickleymal

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 November 2017, 12:22:35 pm »
TBH a bike is just a means to an end. I don't enjoy riding it any more than I enjoy driving a car. There are advantages i.e. filtering and parking. But the disadvantages out weigh the advantages at present. The problem of a lack of secure parking at work, the cold and it's not that much more economical than the car.
Malc

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 November 2017, 12:31:30 pm »
TBH a bike is just a means to an end. I don't enjoy riding it any more than I enjoy driving a car. There are advantages i.e. filtering and parking. But the disadvantages out weigh the advantages at present. The problem of a lack of secure parking at work, the cold and it's not that much more economical than the car.
problem of a lack of secure parking at work -True
the cold - True
I would add - rain
not that much more economical than the car - True
You dont ride it much - same here

BUT the big difference is I LOVE LOVE LOVE riding and as you say you "don't enjoy riding it any more than I enjoy driving a car"
So yes I think for you it could be time to sell.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

crickleymal

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 November 2017, 02:02:31 pm »

You dont ride it much - same here

I dunno, 10k a year is more than most.

BUT the big difference is I LOVE LOVE LOVE riding and as you say you "don't enjoy riding it any more than I enjoy driving a car"
So yes I think for you it could be time to sell.
Malc

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 November 2017, 02:10:11 pm »
10k----Keep it then
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 November 2017, 12:52:20 pm »
I do less than 3k a year on my FZS600 has been down to 1.5K before. But I would never think about selling it. When I am to old and crippled to ride it (The day after tomorrow) I will fill the fuel tank with compost and plant flowers in it and stand it on my patio. Cut the top section off the can and flowers in that as well
You think I'm joking, my son said he will paint it pink and stick it on eGay lol that's if some bugger in here who will remain nameless does not beat him to it with rattle cans
« Last Edit: 15 November 2017, 12:55:25 pm by tommyardin »