Date: 28-03-24  Time: 19:24 pm

Author Topic: Headlight not working  (Read 1066 times)

jordan123

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Headlight not working
« on: 05 November 2017, 02:59:17 pm »
Hi am new to this forum. Currently have a 02 plate fzs1000 with the follow issue.
The dipped and full beams don't work at all, the side light however does and when pushing the pass switch the high beams come on. When moving the switch from side lights to dipped you can hear the relay clicking and same when moving the switch from dipped to high beams. Am a bit confused so thought I'd ask for help here.
Cheers in advance
Jordan

Gaz66

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - VFR800 Fi (1999)
    • View Profile
Re: Headlight not working
« Reply #1 on: 18 November 2017, 08:38:36 pm »
Hi.

Check fuses 1st.
If good, check bulbs aren't blown.
If good check multi-plug under left side infill panel, all juice to lights & clocks go thru this plug, known for corrosion issues.

One the above will likely be the cause.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 November 2017, 10:50:49 pm »
 :agree
i would plump for the left hand side multi connector under that fairing infill only 3 screws to remove it and the multi connector is right in front of you.

Turn ignition on, put light switch into the headlight on position and give the multi connector a good wiggle if you lights flash on and off you have found the problem, but if they don't you should still not rule that out it maybe that the wire has completely corrode through causing a complete break.

Good luck
So many Fazers seem to suffer with this problem, water from either riding in the rain parking the bike in the rain especially on the side stand or too much washing, the later being my problem.
I had exactly that, headlights would go out intermittently and then come on again, sometime refusing to come on at all ride over a bump and they would come on again.
Corrosion in the multi connector, some of the pins and sockets in there almost gone, I cut the offending wire either side of the connector and linked them together by soldering them and heat shrinking them. sprayed the remaining wires and connector with WD 40 and put two cable ties around the connector to hold the two halves tightly together, that was approx 2 to 3 years ago never had the problem since.   
« Last Edit: 18 November 2017, 10:53:26 pm by tommyardin »

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 November 2017, 10:56:08 pm »
As the headlights work on the pass beam switch/flasher the bulbs are good.
There is also a black plastic box under the fuel tank with a shed full of electrical socket and connectors in try the same wiggle test on these, the problem could be in there.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 November 2017, 08:11:01 am »
All of the above plus corrosion in the light switch itself, which yours has being a 2002 model.

And welcome! :)