Date: 23-04-24  Time: 19:50 pm

Author Topic: Storage Solution for Fazer 1000  (Read 2195 times)

scoobiemandan

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Storage Solution for Fazer 1000
« on: 05 November 2017, 09:34:09 am »
I have a 2004 Fazer 1000.

I'm after something I can attach to the bike which will hold a helmet, over trousers and jacket!  Not keen on Panniers but a top box would be fine.  Needs to be lockable and able to act as a back rest for the odd occasion I take my daughter on the bike.  Also it would need to be fitted easily and easily removable.

Budget it limited but I would appreciate any thoughts on what would be best suited.

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Storage Solution for Fazer 1000
« Reply #1 on: 05 November 2017, 12:46:48 pm »
Top boxes are ideal.  They are pretty cheap, I just replaced my old one, £26 delivered.  It will hold 2 helmets etc.  The most expensive bit are the mounting arms but once you have those you can mount different stuff.

They lock but they ain't a strong box or anything.

They come off in seconds, just one bolt with a plastic knob, no tools required.
Intentionally left blank

scoobiemandan

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 November 2017, 01:05:50 pm »
Thanks for the reply NW.  I had seen those that were large enough for 2 helmets but didn't know whether they would be big enough for what I mentioned in my original post.  I'm hoping someone could advise whether they have a particular size of box that they know for a fact fits a helmet, trousers and jacket in.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 November 2017, 01:42:17 pm »
Roll the trousers up and fit them inside the helmet and the jacket will fit in the place for the second helmet

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 November 2017, 01:56:45 pm »
Getting a jacket in could be a problem, if it has a back protector, shoulder and elbow armour fitted they are difficult to fold up .

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 November 2017, 02:34:17 pm »
I frequently put my lid and over jacket and trousers in the box, they fit in with room to spare for bits of shopping, lunch etc.  I have got my bike jacket with it in too (armour but no back protector), I needed a little pursuasion to close but it swallowed the lot.
Intentionally left blank

scoobiemandan

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 November 2017, 03:14:18 pm »
I'll give a look at the doubles then :)

Any idea where the best place to look online is?  As I mentioned, I was really after one with back rest attached!

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 November 2017, 05:19:22 pm »
Ebay really. Not sure I would want someone using my box as a backrest though.  They are sturdy but it's a plastic box mounted to a plastic plate, a mate has a givi one that isn't really any better.  With the box you get the mounting plate and bolts, it's the arms that are the expensive bit.
Intentionally left blank

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 November 2017, 05:25:39 pm »
I'll give a look at the doubles then :)

Any idea where the best place to look online is?  As I mentioned, I was really after one with back rest attached!

Where are you based scoobiemandan?
I have a Givi topbox (it's a monolock version) and comes with a mounting plate - you need a rack to attach the plate onto, then the box can be lifted on/off and locked with a key.
It's a large box - might just struggle to fit two full face helmets in but definitely one helmet with room left over.
The box hasn't been used much - if you could travel to Kings Lynn in Norfolk you could have it for £45

scoobiemandan

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 November 2017, 05:49:12 pm »
Appreciate the offer Hugh but I'm in Bexhill so a bit of a drive ;)

I've decided against it for the time being.  I'll wait until I'm next in somewhere that has some I can actually look at and see the space in them for my self.  Appreciate the help peeps :)