Date: 28-03-24  Time: 20:44 pm

Author Topic: Tyre question  (Read 14672 times)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Tyre question
« Reply #50 on: 06 December 2017, 09:28:53 pm »
I don't think I have ever had a matching set front and back although have always been Bridgstones I think I may have a matching set now but honestly couldn't say without looking might be batalx 023s. I do fancy a matching set of pp3 after reading up on them, my rear is nearer to be replaced than the front but - an open question, how much benefit would I gain by loosing a bit of money mileage if I change the front early so I have a matching set of pp3s. Also there are deals on cheaper sets rather than buying separate isn't there. 
Just had a thought that I may even have an excuse to buy a new front based on age alone, but the bike is kept garaged out of the sun - but then again I only ride in the sun .

Fronts last longer than rears anyway, so if it's still in good nick i'd personally leave it alone and change it when necessary.
Or are you just looking for an excuse?  :lol
Excuse wise I need to do the back before the MOT in the spring, the front has another two years of my low yearly mileage BUT it has a manufacture of March 2010 and was fitted April 2011 so next spring it will be 8 years old so maybe I can use that as an excuse to replace it, the back has December 08 and was fitted May 09.

If the pp3s are softer and wear quicker then that is fine with me as I run out of time before tread.

After all the feedback and reviews i've read, plus your style of riding, i think matching PR3's will be perfect for you.
If you have a place that will fit them for you it's cheaper to buy from Oponeo then pay for fitting afterwards, you'll still save money than if you were to go into a shop with the whole bike.
I paid £110 for the PR4 and £15 to have it fitted (wheel removed from bike).
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 06 December 2017, 09:50:21 pm »
I don't think I have ever had a matching set front and back although have always been Bridgstones I think I may have a matching set now but honestly couldn't say without looking might be batalx 023s. I do fancy a matching set of pp3 after reading up on them, my rear is nearer to be replaced than the front but - an open question, how much benefit would I gain by loosing a bit of money mileage if I change the front early so I have a matching set of pp3s. Also there are deals on cheaper sets rather than buying separate isn't there. 
Just had a thought that I may even have an excuse to buy a new front based on age alone, but the bike is kept garaged out of the sun - but then again I only ride in the sun .

Fronts last longer than rears anyway, so if it's still in good nick i'd personally leave it alone and change it when necessary.
Excuse wise I need to do the back before the MOT in the spring, the front has another two years of my low yearly mileage BUT it has a manufacture of March 2010 and was fitted April 2011 so next spring it will be 8 years old so maybe I can use that as an excuse to replace it, the back has December 08 and was fitted May 09.

If the pp3s are softer and wear quicker then that is fine with me as I run out of time before tread.

After all the feedback and reviews i've read, plus your style of riding, i think matching PR3's will be perfect for you.
If you have a place that will fit them for you it's cheaper to buy from Oponeo then pay for fitting afterwards, you'll still save money than if you were to go into a shop with the whole bike.
Thanks I will look at them against the pp3s but the pr3 seem more geared to wet than the pp3s (obviously not at the top of my list ) not read enough of either to be fair but looking for something that cares not for longevity. 
I will be doing a ride in as I want to support my local fitter as that's all he does and wont rip you off with a replacement when a repair will do because if he gos I am left with dealers
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

celticbiker

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 06 December 2017, 10:19:16 pm »
As I get through 4 rears and 2 fronts a year I got fed up paying for fitting and having to go out to have it done so I bought a manual tyre  fitting machine.
Inside 8 months it's paid for itself and for a new compressor.
Can get a pair of pp3s for 155 quid and for them in under 15 minutes.. Each set of tyres I fit saves me 70 quid.
(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste
(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help
(")-(") him gain world domination!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 06 December 2017, 10:31:35 pm »

Thanks I will look at them against the pp3s but the pr3 seem more geared to wet than the pp3s (obviously not at the top of my list ) not read enough of either to be fair but looking for something that cares not for longevity. 
I will be doing a ride in as I want to support my local fitter as that's all he does and wont rip you off with a replacement when a repair will do because if he gos I am left with dealers

No the PR3 was reviewed even on here as better in the dry than the PR4 for example.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 23 January 2018, 06:28:36 pm »
Got a nail in it  :'(

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 23 January 2018, 07:37:01 pm »
As Blackadder said...the phrase rhymes with clucking bell :'(

It always seems to happen to a new tyre doesn't it.

Repairable?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 23 January 2018, 08:07:27 pm »
If it is the thin nail that is the only thing i can see, then it’s in the fleshy part so i’m taking the bike in on Thursday morning and i’ll get it properly plugged.
To be honest i thought my rear shock had a problem so it’s the lesser of two evils.
Still a bloody nuisance though, and you’re right, my previous tyre got a screw in it the day after it was fitted as well.

Jamieg285

• Club Racer
  • What does this do?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 24 January 2018, 01:03:39 pm »
Got a nail in it  :'(

So did I, picked it up last Wednesday.    Currently running with a Plug'N'Go to keep me mobile, but I've ordered the bits I need to do a proper patch/plug repair from the inside.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 31 March 2018, 06:20:28 pm »
Rather than start another thread I am gonna add to this as its all relevant.
Been reading about the PR3s and came across Pilot power 2CT and they sound perfect for me, no one on here has ever seemed to mention them.

I have a BT 023 on the front fitted in April 2011 manufactured October 2010 with plenty of tread left but it is maybe a bit old now.
Back is a BT 021 fitted May 2009 manufacture date of 08 and that is ready to change almost down to the marker and done 7 k.

My ride for those who dont know.
I don't do wet
I do do cold
I don't do commute
I do do all year round
I dont do straight roads
I do do bends
I don't ride enough

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #59 on: 31 March 2018, 11:44:25 pm »
I have a BT 023 on the front fitted in April 2011 manufactured October 2010 with plenty of tread left but it is maybe a bit old now.
Back is a BT 021 fitted May 2009 manufacture date of 08 and that is ready to change almost down to the marker and done 7 k.

If those tyres are really that old you really should replace them! After 5 or 6 years, even if they've not been used, the rubber in them may well have degraded to the point that they could fail catastrophically without warning.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 01 April 2018, 01:38:22 am »
As it's topically been resurrected, the PR4 on the rear has been nothing short of fantastic!
STILL never even had the slightest slip regardless off weather.
100% recommended

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 01 April 2018, 08:51:43 pm »
Yes I am defiantly replacing them, could be PR4 or BT030 but wondered why the pp2CTs have not been mentioned. They sound like they are very soft and wear down quick which is exactly what I need so I am not tempted to keep them on so long cause they are old yet still have lots of wear   
« Last Edit: 01 April 2018, 08:53:27 pm by fazersharp »

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 02 April 2018, 07:52:35 am »
I would be happy if I could get a rear to last 2k miles and a front about 3.5k.   

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 02 April 2018, 11:50:01 am »
I would be happy if I could get a rear to last 2k miles and a front about 3.5k.   
On what tyres

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 02 April 2018, 09:24:31 pm »
Yep my tyres are old before they are worn and there has to be a good reason why the Manufacture date is stamped on them but why is it not an MOT issue when silly (in comparison) issues like not having a working horn can fail you. 

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 03 April 2018, 07:24:34 am »
PR2s second rear just fitted 2100miles out last one. The wear is pretty even over the width of the tyre. Wear my car tyres out quick too so must be me nothing wrong with the tyres 

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 03 April 2018, 10:17:51 am »
As it's topically been resurrected, the PR4 on the rear has been nothing short of fantastic!
100% recommended
Just came across PR5s now
« Last Edit: 03 April 2018, 11:10:50 am by fazersharp »

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 03 April 2018, 03:24:41 pm »
100% recommended
Just came across PR5s now

Its a bit like Samsung and Apple, they try to convince us that we must have the latest version of their product as it has a 5 times faster processor or they are grippier than the last model. Or, is it that their last model was crap really, and this new one they are singing the praises of now will also be crap next year.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 03 April 2018, 11:19:05 pm »
 :rollin :rollin :rollin

moffmeister

• Boffie - Yaks it like it is
    Terminally Incontinent
    The Golden Bulge
    The only gay in the village
    Moff Minogue

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 04 April 2018, 12:03:31 pm »
on my FZ1-S I've been in PR2 for ages.  Did try PR3 and noticed little difference other than rear only lasting 2.5k miles.  PR2 rear lasts me for 4k miles and 2:1 rear/front replacement ratio (just).  Last set were Roadtec 01s (on offer where I go £30 off pair ) - in comparison to PR2 the 01s never spun up once in the wet (good) but rear squared off badly and no way front was going to last two rears.    Got 4k out of the rear.Now have Road 5 set on (these were on offer this time - £30 off pair) - tread pattern looks 'good' - time will tell - tbh if these hadn't been on offer I'd have gone for a set of PR2 again.

When I had my six my regular tyre was 020, 021, 023 - tried 016 once (in the dry they were fantastic - but rear didn't last long 2k miles)

Update Sep 2018:  PR5 - rear lasted 4k!  front about 1k left to go - gone back to PR2s!  At least I know I've got another 4k miles to go!
« Last Edit: 28 September 2018, 07:46:26 pm by moffmeister »

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #70 on: 04 April 2018, 12:59:01 pm »
Stop whispering and speak up!!

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 04 April 2018, 02:21:56 pm »
on my FZ1-S I've been in PR2 for ages.  Did try PR3 and noticed little difference other than rear only lasting 2.5k miles.  PR2 rear lasts me for 4k miles and 2:1 rear/front replacement ratio (just).  Last set were Roadtec 01s (on offer where I go £30 off pair ) - in comparison to PR2 the 01s never spun up once in the wet (good) but rear squared off badly and no way front was going to last two rears.    Got 4k out of the rear.Now have Road 5 set on (these were on offer this time - £30 off pair) - tread pattern looks 'good' - time will tell - tbh if these hadn't been on offer I'd have gone for a set of PR2 again.When I had my six my regular tyre was 020, 021, 023 - tried 016 once (in the dry they were fantastic - but rear didn't last long 2k miles)

LOUD ENOUGH :lol