Date: 29-03-24  Time: 14:10 pm

Author Topic: What goes wrong with the FZ1 ?  (Read 1421 times)

maxthedoggy

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • - CBR 600 F3, CB750, DRZ400
    • View Profile
What goes wrong with the FZ1 ?
« on: 28 October 2017, 04:40:48 pm »
Used to have a gen 1 1000, did the R6 shock mod, had to fix a drill out the poxy EXUP valve, never did get to the bottom of the thing vibrating like a bitch (the reason I sold it) even after balancing the carbs and re-welding the exhaust bracket back up.

I've since had a Speed triple and now I'm currently on an S2 FZ6 which is a nice bike if a little lacking in the power dept, I plan to keep the FS6 as a daily driver but I'd like to get something that I could play on so to speak, been thinking about a FZ1N but what goes wrong with  them ? have they still got the EXUP valve and if so is it an issue like the old gen 1 ? and more to the point does it vibrate ?

Thanks guys

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: What goes wrong with the FZ1 ?
« Reply #1 on: 28 October 2017, 06:49:45 pm »
Not a lot would be the simple answer. There no known issues that I know of anyway. The exup is in the end can so if you replace with something aftermarket it simply in hooks and ya dont have to worry about it. Its only there for noise/emissions regs so no need to worry about losing power etc

It can be a little vibey if I'm totally honest, nothing as bad as a twin but certain it more than a sportbike. It's nothing too concerning and I do find it's only at certain revs.
Power can be a little on/off depending on your driving style. Easy to mod for more power if you really find it necessary but it's got bucket loads as standard.

Parts are easy to get, aftermarket modification parts are generally easy to find.

All in all its hard to go wrong with one in my opinion. The N is even better looking and easier for maintenance but obviously not great at speed or on long trips

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 October 2017, 07:48:13 pm »
So far it's bombproof, mines done 30 odd thou miles, I now thrash it on the race track, sure pulls well higher up the revs, a very very good bike, very stable very fun

An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

Mustang

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 October 2017, 09:54:07 pm »
Not had mine so long but the exup valve has been removed with the can, just left the sevo motor on and took the cables off. It's got limited ground clearance and grinds the hero blobs on track, plenty of power, not sure about the suspension, it's better than the gen 1 front, back might be a bit soft though.

maxthedoggy

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • - CBR 600 F3, CB750, DRZ400
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 October 2017, 08:40:29 am »
cheers for the replies guys, food for thought

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 November 2017, 02:01:03 pm »
Not had mine so long but the exup valve has been removed with the can, just left the sevo motor on and took the cables off. It's got limited ground clearance and grinds the hero blobs on track, plenty of power, not sure about the suspension, it's better than the gen 1 front, back might be a bit soft though.

If what you call the 'Hero Blobs' is the inch long appendage that hangs down from the bottom of the front pegs they do unscrew, so remove them, I have removed mine off my baby FZS 600 the last thing I would want is my foot juddering as they buzz the ground whilst being cranked over. :rolleyes

The old bikes of yesteryear, Nortons, BSA, Triumphs, AJS, Matchless and the like had solid foot rests (No pivot point) if you dug one of them bad boys hard into the deck on a corner it lifted the back end off the ground and that always ended in tears.  :'(
But if you controlled it you could buzz them at night time and send up showers of sparks. :eek
« Last Edit: 05 November 2017, 02:01:45 pm by tommyardin »