Date: 18-04-24  Time: 10:24 am

Author Topic: Recommended Dealer in Bristol area  (Read 1239 times)

NitramA

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Recommended Dealer in Bristol area
« on: 23 October 2017, 06:28:48 pm »
I’ve got a 2005 FZS1000S (9500 miles) which was stored in a dry garage for about 3 years whilst I did other things.
I’ve just put it back on the road and it feels like its running out of fuel below 3k (sounds like a Subaru) before sort of clearing its throat.
It goes up to about 80mph OK but doesn’t feel like its as powerful as it used to be.
I’ve changed the plugs, serviced the EXUP (the valve was sticking so I hoped that was the problem, but it wasn’t).
I’ve let the fuel drain down and added some fresh fuel and that didn’t make any difference and I removed the air filter and sprayed some carb cleaner into air box again making no difference.
All the hoses seem in good condition and theres nothing obviously wrong.
I’ve decided I’m not really getting anywhere so plan to let a workshop have a look at it.

Does anyone have a recommendation of a workshop in the Bristol area ?
I live in Thornbury and I’d prefer them to pick up too if possible.

cl1ve2004

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - vstrom 650 al8
    • View Profile
Re: Recommended Dealer in Bristol area
« Reply #1 on: 23 October 2017, 06:40:52 pm »
sounds like jets are gummed up..have you tried running some petrol additive or similar just to see if it helps..??

NitramA

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 October 2017, 07:22:21 pm »
sounds like jets are gummed up..have you tried running some petrol additive or similar just to see if it helps..??

I removed the air filter and sprayed some carb cleaner in. Didn’t seem to make any difference.
Problem is that as the weather is rubbish at the moment I dont want to put a full tank of fuel in even with additives as it’ll only sit in the garage for a couple of months anyway and I’ll have the same problem :-)

I reckon its a case of cleaning the carbs but it looks too much of a pain to remove them.
Tempted to get it Ivanised but probably best to get it running right first.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 October 2017, 07:39:24 am »
Shooting a little carb cleaner into the air intake will do nothing at all except give the motor something to burn in addition to fuel.  The problem lies inside the float bowls. :)  You have blocked pilot jets and there's nothing you can do to properly clean them other than remove the carbs, take out the jets and run them through with a small wire (top E guitar string is ideal.  Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky 009 works for me :D). 

You can also give your carb cleaner another try while you're in there but don't get it near the throttle diaphragms.  Strong carb cleaner - which is different to the cleaner additives you put in the fuel tank - will make a mess of them.

Drop me a PM if you want to talk more about 'Ivanising' ... I could do both jobs at the same time and it would be about the same labour cost as getting a dealer to remove the carbs and clean them.

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 October 2017, 06:09:10 am »
I would definitely take Mike up on his offer if you are able to especially if you are considering having the bike Ivanised anyway. Alternatively I would repost your request in the General section as it will have a wider audience but change the title to mechanic rather than dealer. You might also want to register on www.southwestbikers.com introduce yourself and ask the same question there as they will definitely have local knowledge although it is a fairly small userbase.