Date: 19-04-24  Time: 19:46 pm

Author Topic: Hole in crank cases?  (Read 950 times)

Drezza

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - DRZ
    • View Profile
Hole in crank cases?
« on: 21 October 2017, 10:58:34 pm »
I'm trying to get my crashed Fazer back on the road, the right side of the crank cases have cracked where the starter clutch cover bolt goes. Will it leak oil from the starter clutch area? If oil is not supplied to this area I guess I can just use something like JB weld?

Edit: you can see the cracked crankcases at the bottom left of the starter clutch cover.

« Last Edit: 22 October 2017, 10:45:14 am by Drezza »

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
Re: Hole in crank cases?
« Reply #1 on: 22 October 2017, 05:57:20 am »
I used JB Weld to repair a crack in a crankcase when my mate got knocked off his bike 400 miles from home. The crack was leaking oil slowly. We laid the bike over while the JB Weld cured. All looked good so we continued with our holiday before riding home. It was some 6 months later when he finally bought a replacement part and in all that time it never leaked any oil.
It's good stuff!

Drezza

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - DRZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 October 2017, 10:46:06 am »
Cheers, I've heard good stuff about JB weld. Do you know if oil is supplied to this area?

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 October 2017, 05:56:10 pm »
Sorry, I'm new to Fazers and I honestly haven't looked at it in detail yet but the JB Weld didn't let any oil through on my mates bike. Just make sure there's no oil in the crack when you put the JB Weld on.