Date: 28-03-24  Time: 19:02 pm

Author Topic: Ophelia  (Read 2352 times)

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
Ophelia
« on: 20 October 2017, 07:42:10 pm »
Back on the air again, 5 days after that bitch Ophelia  :finger hit, we have seen the light  :woot
Power went out at 11am Monday when 2 hours of sustained 110KPH (70MPH) winds took out the main 10Kv line supplying the whole valley south of Cork Airport.
After much fault chasing by the Electrical supply linesmen and 7 faults later they finally fixed the last fault that had our power out.  :thumbup

Still hundreds of homes east of us still without power.

Glad I wired the house for a generator 4 years ago now,  :) at least I had light and water and the freezer was maintained to save all the  food in it..
The unfortunate side of living in the country is that the lovely pure clean water we have, comes straight out of the ground 35 metres (110feet) down and the 1 KW submersible pump was pushing the 3KVA generator hard on start up.
Must buy a bigger avr equipped generator with  to allow us use the other bits we would like to have working like heat and Internet :)

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
Re: Ophelia
« Reply #1 on: 20 October 2017, 09:19:04 pm »
Is that 3KVA at peak power? As that would only be about 1.5KVA at normal sustained level.
You can buy an uprated AVR for most generators but it might burn out the alternator over time. Much better to bite the bullet and get a larger generator.

A mate of mine has no mains electric and generates his own power. One day he came round to ask what I knew about generators as both of his weren't giving any output. After a brief reply of "Nothing" I went round to look. Luckily one of the gennies had worn the brushes out while the other had blown the AVR - I managed to swap the brushes over and got one working.
Looking on ebay I found replacement brushes for a couple of quid a set so I bought 3 sets. The AVR was about £45. There are many cheaper AVR's on ebay but when you investigate further they are not pure sine wave and are you going to trust an AVR that's only a fiver?
I've learnt a fair bit about generators which is a good job because he brought another one round the other day that needs fixing.

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 October 2017, 09:20:07 am »
Is that 3KVA at peak power? As that would only be about 1.5KVA at normal sustained level.
You can buy an uprated AVR for most generators but it might burn out the alternator over time. Much better to bite the bullet and get a larger generator.

A mate of mine has no mains electric and generates his own power. One day he came round to ask what I knew about generators as both of his weren't giving any output. After a brief reply of "Nothing" I went round to look. Luckily one of the gennies had worn the brushes out while the other had blown the AVR - I managed to swap the brushes over and got one working.
Looking on ebay I found replacement brushes for a couple of quid a set so I bought 3 sets. The AVR was about £45. There are many cheaper AVR's on ebay but when you investigate further they are not pure sine wave and are you going to trust an AVR that's only a fiver?
I've learnt a fair bit about generators which is a good job because he brought another one round the other day that needs fixing.

Did anyone else understand a single word of that??  :lol

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 October 2017, 09:30:31 am »

He has no electricity, generates his own power, but knows nothing about generators!
What could possibly go wrong, when you really need it?  :rollin
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 October 2017, 10:17:24 am »
Hugh,  I knew what you meant :lol and yes it is 3KVA peak and you are correct the only way to go really is larger. There is a reason for a 60Amp main fuse in the house :lol A 7 to 10 kva with AVR will do me fine. I did a lot of work with UPs systems and Generators when I worked with the telephone company and was working in IT for the local council some years ago. 
Got a call from a neighbour 2 days ago to say his 6KVA genny had packed in and on investigation I found the voltage was down to 20V and the 40uF capacitor had decided to say "foc u I'm outa here"  :D Everything else checked out and he bought a new capacitor the following day and we fitted it,which sorted it
I then asked him how he was using it, telling him that some of the reasons these capacitor blow is from, Overloading , stored in very damp conditions or a fault in the generator itself.
Overloading was his problem, he was trying to run his Submersibile Pump, the Fridge, the freezer,  the lights tv and boil a kettle all at the same time on a 6KVA genny.  :rolleyes
He was also complaining that it was a pain to start and he had to override the governor to get it to start  :rolleyes he was trying to start it with the changeover switch on generator and everything on in the house.  :lol
After a few lessons on how to start it and what not to do he was on his merry way. :thumbup

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 October 2017, 10:27:47 am »
Hugh,  I knew what you meant :lol and yes it is 3KVA peak and you are correct the only way to go really is larger. There is a reason for a 60Amp main fuse in the house :lol A 7 to 10 kva with AVR will do me fine. I did a lot of work with UPs systems and Generators when I worked with the telephone company and was working in IT for the local council some years ago. 
Got a call from a neighbour 2 days ago to say his 6KVA genny had packed in and on investigation I found the voltage was down to 20V and the 40uF capacitor had decided to say "foc u I'm outa here"  :D Everything else checked out and he bought a new capacitor the following day and we fitted it,which sorted it
I then asked him how he was using it, telling him that some of the reasons these capacitor blow is from, Overloading , stored in very damp conditions or a fault in the generator itself.
Overloading was his problem, he was trying to run his Submersibile Pump, the Fridge, the freezer,  the lights tv and boil a kettle all at the same time on a 6KVA genny.  :rolleyes
He was also complaining that it was a pain to start and he had to override the governor to get it to start  :rolleyes he was trying to start it with the changeover switch on generator and everything on in the house.  :lol
After a few lessons on how to start it and what not to do he was on his merry way. :thumbup

What's happened with Brian, has he made an appearance yet?
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 October 2017, 12:23:43 pm »
He blew over  :lol , came and left quickly as he knew he wasn't welcome :lol

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 October 2017, 01:01:49 pm »
I am looking into the viability of solar.
Just getting my head around the figures needed to run a house is kind of mind blowing.
My mate runs a 2.8 Kva Honda now as it's a lot quieter than the larger one - how he lives with that set-up I'll never know, far too basic for me.
I know a bit about electrics (just enough to know when to stop) and I learn new bits every now and then. I should have learned properly when I was younger as just about everyone brings their dodgy electrics to me to fix.

Oldgit

• foccerwithoutaspacebar
  • GP Hero
  • Old Age & Treachery will Overcome Youth & Skill
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - BMW R1200RS Sport SE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 October 2017, 01:29:59 pm »

Well I hope that the swee over the peat fire had not seized up--or you would have been really Fooked.

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 October 2017, 10:10:32 am »
Just getting my head around the figures needed to run a house is kind of mind blowing.
My mate runs a 2.8 Kva Honda now as it's a lot quieter than the larger one - how he lives with that set-up I'll never know, far too basic for me.
I know a bit about electrics (just enough to know when to stop) and I learn new bits every now and then. I should have learned properly when I was younger as just about everyone brings their dodgy electrics to me to fix.
The more you fix the more you learn  :lol My moto is simple, "If it's already broken you can't break it, the worst you can do is fix it"  :D

crickleymal

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 October 2017, 01:06:28 pm »
The more you fix the more you learn  :lol My moto is simple, "If it's already broken you can't break it, the worst you can do is fix it"  :D

oh I dunno, I could quite easily break something worse.
Malc

Old enough to know better.

taylor

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 November 2017, 08:27:36 pm »

my nephew was over in Ireland working for western power,         putting the cables back up  he did the hours and earnt a few bucks,

sent from my carafan in tenby, ;)

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01 November 2017, 09:13:39 pm »
It's an ill wind :lol
Good for him, it will be a good Christmas then  :)