Date: 28-03-24  Time: 14:16 pm

Author Topic: Bennetts Renewal Breath of Fresh Air  (Read 6055 times)

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Bennetts Renewal Breath of Fresh Air
« on: 20 October 2017, 09:01:38 am »
Last year I changed to Bennets because my long term (always the cheapest ) insurance people got taken over by someone else and the premium doubled  :eek
I fully expected my 2nd year with Bennets to of increased by at least £50 and I would have to do the rounds getting spending hours getting quotes sending NCD proof, being called back, bombarded with emails from the high quotes I got online   ---------- but no its only gone gone up by £12. So they now still have my custom, makes a change to the usual 1st year new customer and then screw you next year.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: Bennetts Renewal Breath of Fresh Air
« Reply #1 on: 20 October 2017, 09:11:28 am »
Gotta say its a sorry state of affairs when we are actually pleased our premiums have gone up because its only by a little bit 😥😥

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 October 2017, 09:13:58 am »
Gotta say its a sorry state of affairs when we are actually pleased our premiums have gone up because its only by a little bit 😥😥
Agreed

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 October 2017, 09:43:31 am »
I had the same with Hastings, the first renewal was ok, just a couple of quid up so couldn't be arsed changing.
BUT the second year renewal  :eek :eek :eek

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 October 2017, 09:49:25 am »
Currently in my 2nd year with Bennetts, renewal due next Feb. Will have to wait & see if I am going to be"quote me happy" 3rd time around.
My previous insurer was Carole Nash who really started to p**s me off in year 3! Like you, Fazersharp, I dont want all this annual hassle-its everything nowadays, bank, savings providers, internet & TV, house contents ins etc etc. Whatever happened to "LOYALTY" being rewarded?

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 October 2017, 10:47:04 am »

Also my 3rd year with Bennets after Carole Nash started taking the piss.
After getting my home insurance renewal through a couple of months ago I rang them up and told them I wasn`t happy with it going up and they " had another look" and then gave me a price £7 less than last year!
Both cars are insured through Axa, same again, not happy with renewal, rang them up and asked what they were willing do to keep my business ( been with them for 6 years with no claims ), wifes Fiesta was reduced by £28 and my Focus went up £8 on last years price.

My son has an 19 year old Subaru Impreza 2 litre turbo about 200bhp, currently paying just less than £600, he is looking to buy a newer modified one with a 2.5 litre engine running about 300bhp, his current insurer has quoted this at £567.

How do insurance companies work out their prices as there does not seem any logic in it at all?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 October 2017, 11:15:17 am »
Every company is different for every person due to location, whether it's garaged, etc, so no one company can really be recommended for someone else unfortunately.
It's very rare for me to stay with the same firm for probably 3 years, there always tends to be someone out there with a better deal.
I don't see why they should hike up costs if you haven't claimed, it means less aggro, less paperwork and everyone should be happy, but every now and then they'll just raise the prices enough for you to take your business completely away from them, so they lose out anyway, it makes no sense at all?
I was with one firm a couple of years ago and it was only until the deal was done I found out I couldn't take a passenger?
Why the fuck not, I've been riding 30 years?
It wasn't a major big deal but it just annoyed me as their excuse was "none of our policies cover for a pillion". So because it wasn't blatantly mentioned I was s'posed to guess?  :thumbdown
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 October 2017, 11:26:05 am »
Another sneak one is creeping up the compulsory excess. I have zero voluntary and used to have about £50 compulsory and over the years they all have crept it up to £250.
The whole excess thing is a complete scam, I insure for say £2000 and pay premiums based on that and to cover that amount and for what reason do they withold £250 of that - its a compleate con and daylight robbery - must of been made up by bankers. 

tex

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - tdr 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 October 2017, 12:13:03 pm »

My daughter passed her test 2 weeks ago , she's 20, got her a little renault clio not worth much, quotes started at £9000 , after much searching got it down to £2400 but had to have the dreaded black box wich is another money maker for insurance companies,  all sorts of things on it like where it's parked , what time you are using it , amount of milage speed bracking.  What worries me is if they made us all have one 😳
the night i was born, lord the moon stood a fire red., my poor mother her crying,
she said the gypsy was right, and she fell right dead

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 October 2017, 03:07:34 pm »
Me and the missus are named drivers on our sons car insurance as it made a big difference to the premium.  He is still down as the main driver so earning some NCD.  Having a black box was more expensive!

I'm with Bennetts too. I just rang them for a new quote as the renewal was high and the price soon dropped. I think I started the conversion by asking to cancel the renewal. Seems to get their attention.

johnakay

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - tracer 700
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 October 2017, 06:06:50 pm »
I got one a renewal notice from carol nash.
last year it was £246.99,this years £317.45.
up by £71.46 defo taking the pish.
I wont be going with them again.
since it was taken over it has never been the same.
not interested in europe cover ,DNA, 1/4 on line mag nor am I going to ride mates bike.
full 21 years no claims.
garaged with electric roller doors with inter locking slats ,so can't be forced up.
« Last Edit: 20 October 2017, 06:09:48 pm by johnakay »
If I wanted to make a life-long career out of
working with the mentally retarded I would
have opened a Harley Davidson Dealership!

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 October 2017, 06:26:05 pm »
Me too. Carole Nash multi bike renewal up from £292 to £352. Bennetts quoting me £245. I'm off!

Flooky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 October 2017, 07:23:50 pm »
I got a renewal from hastings, too much, did a comparison,   hastings were the cheapest !!! took out new policy, then had to produce no claims proof.. ( its with you !! hastings ). few phone calls later, no prob.
Just got my phone bill, calls to hastings, 55p a min !!
Insurance companies will be the new PPI, keep all your paper work fellas,  they are sharks.

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 20 October 2017, 09:23:53 pm »
Adrian Flux also use phone lines that charge extra and if you buy on-line they still like you to ring them (probably to make some dosh on the phone line), there is a free number but they muck you about something rotten when you use it.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 20 October 2017, 10:04:23 pm »
Wow your guys insurance seems expensive. I'm 30, living in a well to do area, bikes kept in an alarmed shed, 2 disc locks, squire chain with ground anchor, 4 years no claims, license held for 3 years. 2007 fz1n, 4000 miles a year, exhaust pipe declared.... £145 a year fully comp with bikesure

It's the same amount I used to pay for my 125 when i lived in a rough area with it parked in my front garden haha

Cougar377

• Cager in Training
  • Skirt wearing haggis botherer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Honda Blackbird
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 20 October 2017, 10:16:13 pm »
Not impressed with Bennetts. Second year with them and the renewal for my Blackbird came through two weeks ago and it had gone up by nearly a ton with no change in circumstances.

Phoned up and cancelled the renewal (there's no way of doing it online). A few days later I get a letter saying that they can't take any money bcause the direct debit has been cancelled.
I point out that I cancelled the renewal and they said "ignore the letter".

Today I come home to a letter saying that I have an outstanding balance of £31.54 for a "cancellation fee" and for something called a "Time on cover charge".

I suspect the dopey bastids have cancelled what remains of the policy instead of cancelling the renewal.
Unfortunately they knock off early on a Friday so they'll be getting a bit of a tetchy call in the morning.

locksmith

A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 21 October 2017, 09:17:39 am »
The important thing to say is to "let your current policy lapse".

Cougar377

• Cager in Training
  • Skirt wearing haggis botherer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Honda Blackbird
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 21 October 2017, 09:34:27 am »
The important thing to say is to "let your current policy lapse".

I'll bear that in mind next time...though it won't be Bennetts that I'll be talking to.... >:

Spoke to them this morning and they're "putting it on hold pending investigation".  Yeah right.

locksmith

A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 21 October 2017, 10:36:25 am »
Ask me how I know :lol

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 21 October 2017, 11:10:58 am »
Mine and I have noticed a few other insurances are set to auto renew and they take the money from the card details held, not good.

A note on declaring your bike to be garaged, the insurance states that any attempt or theft of your bike whilst not in the garage a and within a 500m radius will NOT be covered. Like if its on your drive. So instead of saving £10 a year or whatever poltry amount it is by having it garaged you may be better off just saying its on your drive even if you have a garage   

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 21 October 2017, 11:30:41 am »

My daughter passed her test 2 weeks ago , she's 20, got her a little renault clio not worth much, quotes started at £9000 , after much searching got it down to £2400 but had to have the dreaded black box wich is another money maker for insurance companies,  all sorts of things on it like where it's parked , what time you are using it , amount of milage speed bracking.  What worries me is if they made us all have one 😳

Do not re-insure next year with the black box, they will use this years mileage as the guideline for the next year, so if you go over it they'll charge you and basically mug you off.
And if you happen to do 100mph (it happens) you become instantly uninsured as the sat nav clocks you and your insurance becomes invalid.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 21 October 2017, 11:41:56 am »

Do not re-insure next year with the black box, they will use this years mileage as the guideline for the next year, so if you go over it they'll charge you and basically mug you off.
And if you happen to do 100mph (it happens) you become instantly uninsured as the sat nav clocks you and your insurance becomes invalid.
These black boxes should be resisted they are evil - if we are not careful we will be sleep walking into a world where they are compulsory. 

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 21 October 2017, 01:06:46 pm »
Mine and I have noticed a few other insurances are set to auto renew and they take the money from the card details held, not good.

Yes, you have to be on the ball now and ring them up to cancel the auto renewal. If you forget (like my son) it becomes too much of a ball ache to sort out the mess afterwards. So this year they got him, next year they won't - as long as he doesn't forget again...
Also it is best if you don't leave it to the last minute, so ring up at least a week in advance.

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 21 October 2017, 06:49:30 pm »
Auto renewal is a scam invented by the insurance companies to catch out the forgetful, you must have continuous insurance by law but  the insurance companies think that gives them the right to your money, put the premium up and hope you forget your renewal date and the auto renew kicks in and it costs you even more money if you then you try to cancel it.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 21 October 2017, 07:28:24 pm »
Also whats the point in them asking the value because if you over value it they will say "fine" and you pay the extra to cover it BUT in a claim they will only pay out what THEY say its worth.
So you undervalue it and they say "fine" and then in a claim will only pay what you said its worth even when they think its worth more.

Its a pointless question and designed to trip you up - another scam