Date: 19-03-24  Time: 02:21 am

Author Topic: rear caliper refurb  (Read 2866 times)

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
rear caliper refurb
« on: 18 October 2017, 07:44:55 pm »
Having replaced the rear disc, the rear caliper wouldn't go back on as one of the pots had seized solid so I've taken them off for a good fettle,one of the pots is completely focced.  :o  (clean and lube you brakes regularly)
Does anyone have any experience of aftermarket pots? Are they any good? Early fazer rear calipers are like hens teeth on ebay at the moment and I'm not willing to fork out £100+ for an equally rare thou caliper.
Any ideas?
« Last Edit: 18 October 2017, 07:45:45 pm by celticdog »
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: rear caliper refurb
« Reply #1 on: 18 October 2017, 07:59:04 pm »
Ask on the "For Sale & Wanted" section on here for a rear caliper.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 October 2017, 10:31:49 pm »
Ask on the "For Sale & Wanted" section on here for a rear caliper.

Cheers darrsi, that's my plan B, I'm toying with the idea of turning a new one out of stainless steel
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 October 2017, 10:59:40 pm »
What pads do you use on the rear out of curiosity?
I know some people don't mind them and they are gentle on discs, but organic ones create more dust so the caliper needs a bit more TLC than normal.
I tend to stick with ceramic on the rear.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 October 2017, 12:07:57 am »
I hardly ever use my rear brake. I think town/city riders seem to us them more for some reason. I tend to just use my gears and front brakes.
Not sure if it's the right thing to do or not, but, I got into that habit years ago when riding older machines that had drum brakes front and rear, the front on my BSA RGS was twin leading shoe and they did something the rear was single leading shoe and did absolutely nothing.
The front twin discs on the FZS 600 are fantastic, the rear is a bit lethargic and if you get over enthusiastic with it the rear locks up, so I tend to not use it unless it's an emergency situation.

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 October 2017, 07:45:46 am »
Hi darrrsi, with the pads i've recently witched to semi metallics by vesrah, but as the bikes off the road I 'll need to wait to find out if they're any good for me
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-FZS-600-Fazer-98-03-Vesrah-Semi-Metallic-Rear-Brake-Pads-FA104-VD240-/331886504188?hash=item4d45fa28fc:g:x3wAAOSwM4xXZ7SA
In the past I've had galfer and kyoto on the rear with no problems.

Hi Tommy, unlike you I probably rely too much on the rear for braking, I'd say i'm 80% front 20 rear rising closer to a 50/50 mix in extremely wet conditions. You're so right about the rear brake though, I think it's a piss poor caliper, It needs constant cleaning/maintenence or it starts to bind.  No wonder so many swap it out for a blue spot or thundercat.

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 October 2017, 06:40:28 am »
The main problem with the rear caliper on the FZS 600 is its location-its perfectly positioned to receive a deluge of water/road crap. REGULAR attention is the only solution. Poor design by Yamaha-they managed to fit a top located one on many other bikes-my Tracer 700 is fine sitting above the disc.
Re braking: Was talking to a highly qualified/experienced friend  who has been riding bikes since God was a lad recently & we both agreed the value of front braking down to low speed (in urban traffic) & then feathering rear for the last few mph for greater finesse/control. Obviously there are occasions-like very slippery conditions where enthusiastic use of front brake would spell disaster-there is no hard & fast rule that covers all conditions but there is no comparison between drum brakes of years gone by & modern disc set ups. Saw a bike on IOM at Manx GP this year with massive full width front brake drum with what appeared to be 4/8 leading shoe linkage-fully ventilated with mesh covers to keep the flies/stones out but at 150+mph coming over the mountain give me discs any day :eek

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 October 2017, 06:49:13 am »
And to keep on topic.......Cant speak too highly of Powerhouse automotive.Their service is excellent & their caliper overhaul kits are top quality & comprehensive-the seals fit well & the brake pistons are excellent-much cheaper than Yamaha OEM. For those who dont like to do the work themselves they do a caliper refurb service by post.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 October 2017, 08:34:25 am »
Hi, I have never in the four and a half years of ownership ever had the callipers off my bike, I have ridden in the rain twice maybe three times during ownership. Therefore know nothing about them other than they are at both ends of the bike. I fitted braided stainless olines about 3 years ago, brilliant upgrade.
There appears to be four pots to each of the two front callipers, but how many pots/pistons in the rear, it is the standard FZS600 calliper on the rear and not the 1K upgrade. I know some callipers have only one piston and the calliper floats.
Reading this post I might just whip them off and send them off for a refurb, the bike has done 37K miles now and is 14 years old. Refurb prices look very reasonable at £39 for a single/twin pot calliper.
Plus new stainless pistons if needed at 20 quid a pop plus recoating/spraying if wanted. When I get my lazy retired arse out of bed I will give them a bell :lol :lol  ffs is 8-30 already.
Got to get a curry knocked up and in the slow cooker for me and her tonight.  :rolleyes
« Last Edit: 20 October 2017, 08:36:18 am by tommyardin »

F4celess

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 October 2017, 09:04:20 am »
Does anyone have any experience of aftermarket pots? Are they any good? Early fazer rear calipers are like hens teeth on ebay at the moment and I'm not willing to fork out £100+ for an equally rare thou caliper.
Any ideas?

I've got a couple of Hens teeth for sale if you are interested? ....but no rear Caliper!  :lol

"Refurb" kits for Bike calipers are common, to bring the serviceable parts back to fully operational condition. Isn't there anything like this out there for the Fazer?

How about something like this?....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-FZS600-FZS-600-Fazer-rear-brake-caliper-seal-repair-kit-1998-1999-2000-/151066754467

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 October 2017, 11:03:52 am »
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-FZS-600-Fazer-1998-2003-rear-brake-caliper-seal-repair-kit-pistons/181539177349?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

I wonder if i have the mechanical acumen to do this work myself, I think maybe I do.

Not that there is anything wrong back there as far as I know, but given the age of the bike (14 years) 

I enjoy tinkering and have replaced rear disk, had the forks to bits and upgraded them with Linear springs and emulators and did all the work on the damper rods, replaced manifold down pipes including snapped stud removal and replaced wheel bearing and seals. Damn and fuck it    :eek    I'm up to the task. going to order the kit and have a crack at it. :lol
I have a box of Man Sized Tissues, (No you dirty bugger that's for the tears I will shed if it goes tits up) :rolleyes 
« Last Edit: 20 October 2017, 11:07:00 am by tommyardin »

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 20 October 2017, 11:54:01 am »
Just a had a chat with Dazzer my mate who knows a lot about things mechanical.

His advice was hang on and don't order any bits yet, but remove the caliper from the bike but leave the hydraulic brake line attached, also remove the wire retaining loop from the swing arm as it give a lot more movement to work. (helps stop pipe work kinking)

Remove pads then slip a piece of 10 or 12mm ply between the pistons and then slowly press brake pedal by hand watching the pistons to see if they both move evenly, you will then also be able to see if the pistons are rusty or scored, if ok give them a gentle clean with some brake cleaner dry them off and apply some water proof Red Rubber grease to the pistons, then crack open one bleed screw and twist the piece of ply and it will gently push the piston back home, undo the bleed screw on the other pot and do the same just before each piston stop travelling nip the bleed screw up, jobs done no need to bleed, rehang the caliper and refit the loop to the swing arm.Good old Dazzer   :thumbup   seems like sound advice to me.     
« Last Edit: 20 October 2017, 11:54:38 am by tommyardin »

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 20 October 2017, 02:18:23 pm »
Hi Tommy, that's good advice from Dazzer but one of the pots was well and truly fooked!
The problem being with the new disc and pads the pots have to go all the way home for everything to fit inside the caliper.
One was badly corroded and deeply pitted to the point where it wouldn't seal properly. Being a cheapskate I've decided to
fork out a fiver for new seals and have a go at turning a new pot. (see pic) I've given them a spray of Halfords caliper paint too for good measure.
Hopefully it'll work out ok, I'll find out when I get her back on the road.  :thumbup

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 20 October 2017, 04:51:10 pm »
Hi Tommy, that's good advice from Dazzer but one of the pots was well and truly fooked!
The problem being with the new disc and pads the pots have to go all the way home for everything to fit inside the caliper.
One was badly corroded and deeply pitted to the point where it wouldn't seal properly. Being a cheapskate I've decided to
fork out a fiver for new seals and have a go at turning a new pot. (see pic) I've given them a spray of Halfords caliper paint too for good measure.
Hopefully it'll work out ok, I'll find out when I get her back on the road.  :thumbup

The difference between you and me though Celtic is your a cleaver bugger and I an not, if I need new pots I will have to buy them.
I take it then if you need new pots you have to split the caliper then Doh! = total strip down.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 21 October 2017, 08:59:45 am »
For me, one or two times a year, on a warm sunny day, i sit on a stool and with a toothbrush, a can of brake cleaner (NOT degreaser spray), then some red rubber grease, and i will spend however long it takes to give the pots a clean up, front and rear.
It can sometimes take up to 4 hours with all the poncing about clamping calipers and also doing it whilst everything is still attached to the brake lines, but it's a VERY worthwhile and satisfying job, that not only keeps them functioning perfectly but the rubber grease keeps the nastiness at bay, so you can go for years doing the same thing without any need for a major overhaul. 

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 21 October 2017, 09:06:09 pm »
For me, one or two times a year, on a warm sunny day, i sit on a stool and with a toothbrush, a can of brake cleaner (NOT degreaser spray), then some red rubber grease, and i will spend however long it takes to give the pots a clean up, front and rear.
It can sometimes take up to 4 hours with all the poncing about clamping calipers and also doing it whilst everything is still attached to the brake lines, but it's a VERY worthwhile and satisfying job, that not only keeps them functioning perfectly but the rubber grease keeps the nastiness at bay, so you can go for years doing the same thing without any need for a major overhaul. 

I've learned my lesson the hard way darrsi, never again will I take my back brake for granted. If I'd looked after it in the first place I wouldn't have been off the road for a week and avoided the overhaul.