Date: 16-04-24  Time: 13:23 pm

Author Topic: Less Is More..........  (Read 2331 times)

Andy W

• Weekend Warrior
  • www.thesundogs.uk Rockin' rollin' rhythm & roots
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
    • The Sundogs - rockin' rollin' rhythm & roots!
Less Is More..........
« on: 18 October 2017, 02:21:24 pm »

I've found my bike too quiet since buying it, despite the can being called Viper.
I don't really like large cans either so I finally got round to shortening it today.
I took about 3" off as a starting point, & also repacked the wadding less tightly.
Sounds not too much different, but more rip when opening the throttle...test ride later today & tomorrow - though I suspect I'll be taking off another 2" pretty soon!  :eek

Panthor

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Less Is More..........
« Reply #1 on: 18 October 2017, 02:30:34 pm »
I'm actually going to be doing the same to my micron can this week. Looks better shorter to me and like you I want a bit more sound.

Just wondering is that strap fitted correctly? Usually the back would curve round all the way and fit at the same point as the front of it.

Panthor

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 October 2017, 02:32:34 pm »
This is how my strap looks

SkidT

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1200GS LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 October 2017, 06:44:23 pm »
Ironically, I have the opposite problem. My road legal end can has a removable baffle and even with it in, I now can't pass the 105db noise limit at a track day that I like to go to.  :(  I think the last time that I went there it was tested at 107db. To me it doesn't seem very loud?
So I'm now faced with the prospect of having to research and buy a new replacement end can or put the standard can back on and suffer the subsequent drop in performance.
My bike has had the Full Monty done, so ideally needs a less restrictive end can for the full performance benefits. 
Good luck with your alterations.

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 October 2017, 06:58:27 pm »
I now can't pass the 105db noise limit at a track day that I like to go to.
I don't know what model can you have but you might be able to send it off to be repacked. That's one of the advantages of buying direct from a UK manufacturer such as FUEL as the cans are guaranteed for life and they offer a repacking service if you need it.

SkidT

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1200GS LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 October 2017, 08:39:54 pm »
Ah, didn't realise that PieEater, thanks for the heads up. I'm not sure without checking what make / model it is? Only had it nearly five years.  :)
I'll check it out and worst case scenario, if I end up buying new, I'll probably buy British on the strength of that info.
Thanks again.

Mustang

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 October 2017, 08:54:45 pm »
Ironically, I have the opposite problem. My road legal end can has a removable baffle and even with it in, I now can't pass the 105db noise limit at a track day that I like to go to.  :(  I think the last time that I went there it was tested at 107db. To me it doesn't seem very loud?
So I'm now faced with the prospect of having to research and buy a new replacement end can or put the standard can back on and suffer the subsequent drop in performance.
My bike has had the Full Monty done, so ideally needs a less restrictive end can for the full performance benefits. 
Good luck with your alterations.

I took a coke can, crushed and rolled it then hammered it inside the baffle, now it's a bit quieter.

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 October 2017, 09:44:13 pm »
I took a coke can, crushed and rolled it then hammered it inside the baffle, now it's a bit quieter.

Possibly not a good idea, from my dyno charts you can see the affect on power and fuelling that having a baffle in place makes, if you're adding more restrictions then you're likely upsetting the fuelling and dropping your peak power further.

FUEL Standard SS Oval End Can with Baffle in

Same can with Baffle out (Notice much smoother fuelling and 7BHP more power)

I know that short cans are in vogue but the Ivan's kit especially the Full Monty is designed around a free flowing exhaust system, a longer can with more packing can generally be run without a baffle without being obnoxiously loud. A shorter can generally needs a baffle if you don't want to piss people off so may not always be the better option.

Andy W

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 October 2017, 08:51:46 am »

Skid T....interesting dilemma you have there as you want the max power for your track day!
(I seem to recall we had our Full Monty Ivanising done on the same day.)
I'm not bothered about legal volume tbh & don't do track days!
Could you add a small amount of extra baffle to your aftermarket can for the day? Or as PieEater says, maybe it needs repacking.
Packing is a very simple job & the material is very cheap at a bike parts shop....a good place to start perhaps.

My can strap is on wrongly Panther, I can't seem to find one that fits the Viper any better!  :(

My can is now looking & sounding better, a nice bit of popping on decel. (one of my favourite sounds  :) ) & more volume generally BUT I might
just be tempted still to take off another 2".
Once I settle on the length I plan to make a heat shield for the link pipe & can, more for appearance than anything else...I really do dislike regular looking exhausts!

SkidT

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1200GS LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 October 2017, 12:28:17 pm »
Hi Andy,
Thanks for the input. I’ll do a bit of research and see about maybe repacking it myself. Got to be way cheaper than a new replacement.
If it wasn’t for the track day noise limits I wouldn’t be borthering, the noise that it currently makes isn’t imho offensive.
Having said that, after seeing PieEaters dyno graphs, I think I might just go and take the baffle out again. [size=78%] I’ve left it in since my last track day. I only do maybe two or three a year and last time out, because I knew it was unlikely to pass, I took a different bike.[/size]
Thanks again. Hope things are good with you

Mustang

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 October 2017, 08:05:08 pm »

Possibly not a good idea, from my dyno charts you can see the affect on power and fuelling that having a baffle in place makes, if you're adding more restrictions then you're likely upsetting the fuelling and dropping your peak power further.

FUEL Standard SS Oval End Can with Baffle in

Same can with Baffle out (Notice much smoother fuelling and 7BHP more power)

I know that short cans are in vogue but the Ivan's kit especially the Full Monty is designed around a free flowing exhaust system, a longer can with more packing can generally be run without a baffle without being obnoxiously loud. A shorter can generally needs a baffle if you don't want to piss people off so may not always be the better option.
My bike is not ivanised - I find its quick enough and I get good mileage as well

Andy W

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 October 2017, 06:39:03 pm »

Mr PieEater....I've just noticed the last bit of your post....we've been chums for several years now & whilst you are quite correct in the above statement, this is me we're talking about & we both know that I don't give too much of a f**k about peeing people off 'cos I adore "proper" sounding zorsts!.....& I'm a very bad person!  :eek
(Oh yeah, & I obviously throttle off anywhere I think I might offend people or get nicked!  :rolleyes )
My l'il old Viper can is still a fraction of the volume of my the pipes that were on my Warrior so fear not - I'm being almost grown-up about it so "free flowing but not too loud" is the order of the day!  :D ;) ;) ;)