Date: 28-03-24  Time: 19:56 pm

Author Topic: lights out!  (Read 2348 times)

shieldr

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
lights out!
« on: 17 October 2017, 08:08:31 pm »
Help. My beloved fazer has no side, dipped or full beams coming on and the fuse is intact.

Many thanks

shieldr

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: lights out!
« Reply #1 on: 17 October 2017, 08:47:13 pm »
Sorry, I meant to say if anyone has any pointers that would be very much appreciated. I have an 02 plate foxeye. From what I have read it may be a 4 pin relay under the windshield. Another daft question...is the windshield easy to remove?

Ta

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: 18 October 2017, 10:38:04 am »
corrosion in the switch on the right bar?
does the pass switch work still?
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 October 2017, 11:24:01 am »

I’d take a good look at the wiring near the ignition switch, as the steering turns the cable bundle flexes slightly so it’s a popular spot for a wire to break.

The second area to check is the boxful of connectors under the tank, make sure all are clean and making good contact. With a high-current load such as lights there is a good chance a bad contact will have heated up the joint making it easier to spot.

shieldr

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 October 2017, 08:10:09 pm »
Ok. I have checked the wiring and visibly it looks ok. Also, I have found out the horn doesn't work also.

Regarding the pass switch am not sure what that is.

Thanks for any advice

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: 20 October 2017, 08:34:55 am »
The pass switch is the switch on the front of the left hand switch cluster (the one with the indicators on) that allows you to flash the headlight.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

shieldr

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 October 2017, 05:05:50 pm »
Pass switch does work. Ta. In summary no horn, brake lights or lights. Still investigating...

shieldr

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 October 2017, 05:23:16 pm »
Should I be taking the fairing off and looking for wire damage behind the clocks?

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 October 2017, 06:32:49 pm »
No don't remove the fairing at this stage, look under the tank in the black box full of connectors, or, under the Clutch Lever (Left hand side as your sitting on the bike) side front fairing infill panel, 3 screw to access that one so I would check that first, switch ignition on and the headlights and wiggle the large white plastic connector that under the front fairing infill panel, if the lights flicker on and off you found the problem in the connection box, if it does not make any difference I would check the black electrical box under the tank.
let us know how you get on.

shieldr

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 October 2017, 06:59:15 pm »
Thanks for this tip. It is not the connection box under the tank so the other option gives me something to go at. Will feedback results.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 October 2017, 07:43:08 pm »
No don't remove the fairing at this stage, look under the tank in the black box full of connectors, or, under the Clutch Lever (Left hand side as your sitting on the bike) side front fairing infill panel, 3 screw to access that one so I would check that first, switch ignition on and the headlights and wiggle the large white plastic connector that under the front fairing infill panel, if the lights flicker on and off you found the problem in the connection box, if it does not make any difference I would check the black electrical box under the tank.

If the rear light(not the brake light) comes  on when you turn the switch on the right handle bar to parking or full lights, (Ignition on) then the mostly likely cause is the connectors under the left infill panel which are prone to corrosion. Oh No I am agreeing with Tommy again, :eek :lol I would pull the large white connector apart and check for the dreaded bluish green corrosion colour.
A liberal spray of WD40 and connect and disconnect the connector 5 or 6 time should sort it.

shieldr

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 October 2017, 08:36:05 pm »
Ok just removed the lhs in fill fairing and found no obvious damage. I still have to try disconnecting.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 October 2017, 10:22:33 pm »

If the rear light(not the brake light) comes  on when you turn the switch on the right handle bar to parking or full lights, (Ignition on) then the mostly likely cause is the connectors under the left infill panel which are prone to corrosion. Oh No I am agreeing with Tommy again, :eek :lol I would pull the large white connector apart and check for the dreaded bluish green corrosion colour.
A liberal spray of WD40 and connect and disconnect the connector 5 or 6 time should sort it.

:kiss :kiss :kiss :kiss :kiss

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21 October 2017, 08:25:49 am »
When the indicators are on, do they flash at a 'normal' speed, or do they appear a bit rapid?
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

shieldr

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21 October 2017, 06:55:36 pm »
Ok have followed up on all actions above. Connectors under the fairing are fairly minging but I have scooted them with wd40 and made and broke the connections loads of times with not so much as a flicker. I have a voltmeter now and have 12 volts after the headlamp fuse. I am studying the schematic to see what is common for headlamps, horn, back lights and brake lights. The indicators work fine and are at a normal speed.

Thinking of pulling apart the head lamp switch when I get a minute to see if am getting power there.

Cheers

shieldr

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 21 October 2017, 07:44:44 pm »
Maybe a broken common earth?

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
  • riding till i die (or breakdown)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fazer stolen - gsx1100 rebuild
    • View Profile
    • disorderly punks motovlog
« Reply #16 on: 21 October 2017, 08:22:46 pm »
ok you have 12v at the headlight fuse
just trace that wire at every junction and find where you havent got 12 v anymore
always have a sewing pin to hand in case you have to pierce the wire

i often jump straight to headlight and see if 12v there as it is easy to get too
no12v at HL its between fuse and bulb so likely switch but could be a plug inbetween
12v at HL -its a earth problem (run a temp earth to negative to make sure)

- its often easier to eliminate the possibilities than to find the problem direct

shieldr

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 21 October 2017, 09:27:57 pm »
Brilliant thanks

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 21 October 2017, 10:09:04 pm »
ok you have 12v at the headlight fuse
just trace that wire at every junction and find where you havent got 12 v anymore
always have a sewing pin to hand in case you have to pierce the wire

i often jump straight to headlight and see if 12v there as it is easy to get too
no12v at HL its between fuse and bulb so likely switch but could be a plug inbetween
12v at HL -its a earth problem (run a temp earth to negative to make sure)

- its often easier to eliminate the possibilities than to find the problem direct

Well done Disorderly makes sense  :thumbup

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 21 October 2017, 10:20:49 pm »
Go back to the box under the tank and check all the connections, using the same procedure you did with the connector under the infill

shieldr

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 23 October 2017, 12:22:36 am »
OK....had it sorted tonight.....for a while.

Had the LHS dimmer switch off, RHS light switch off and all the connection points exposed.  Was not getting 12v at light switch so followed that back all the way back to the fuse box where I found a blown 10A fuse....whit a fud a thought.  For some reason I thought that the HL fuse was the 20A fuse.  Also the circuit diagram colours on the Haynes manual vary greatly from the actual on the bike which has caused me no end of hassle.  I have now resorted to pulling bundles of cables to see where they lead then testing for 12V / continuity etc.

So I eagerly replaced the fuse and put together all the fiddly bits and the head lights were all working fine as was the horn etc.  One thing that I did notice was the back brake light was not coming on with the back brake operation.  It was working with front brake operation.  I guessed that this problem was unrelated to the original no headlights and that I could address this later.

So I had in front of me a reassembled unit and was testing all the switches for the third time when the original problem reoccurred with no head lights horn etc. FECK!!!.

So now am thinking I would like to change the large connection plug under the LHS in-fill fairing as the connections there are pretty bogging. 

Any other thoughts advice will again be most appreciated regarding possible cause, plug specification and method of replacement.

Ta as always...

shieldr

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: lights out! solved
« Reply #21 on: 24 October 2017, 12:01:20 am »
Ok. Replaced the 10a signal fuse then tried various switches to see if it would blow. I actually heard it pop when activating the back brake. Had a look at the switch and it seemed pretty mangled. A bit of tinkering and soldering and the fazer is back on the road.

So the symptom was no headlights, cause was a blown signal fuse caused by a faulty back brake switch. Not sure what caused that but will order a new one anyway.

Thanks for all the tips!

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 24 October 2017, 08:44:55 am »
Well if nothing else was gained by inspecting and WD'ing all the connectors you have certainly protected the connections for a while to come. When changing my plugs (Yep I remove my tank to change spark plugs) or removing my tank for any other reason I always pop the top on the little black box and give it a liberal spray with WD and I do the same to the infill panel connector. Connectors under the seat and the back of the tail light fairing gets the same treatment.

shieldr

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 24 October 2017, 11:46:34 am »
Sounds like good practice. To be honest i should Change the large white connector under the in fill section as this was pretty mushy brown. Also ordered a new back brake switch from fleabay for 6 quid.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 27 October 2017, 07:41:20 pm »
No don't remove the fairing at this stage, look under the tank in the black box full of connectors, or, under the Clutch Lever (Left hand side as your sitting on the bike) side front fairing infill panel, 3 screw to access that one so I would check that first, switch ignition on and the headlights and wiggle the large white plastic connector that under the front fairing infill panel, if the lights flicker on and off you found the problem in the connection box, if it does not make any difference I would check the black electrical box under the tank. Cause will probably be a blown signal fuse caused by a faulty back brake switch but worth checking the rest.
Let us know how you get on.

So the fault was exactly as Tommy predicted early on.  :rolleyes
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.