Date: 19-04-24  Time: 08:31 am

Author Topic: Hi Everyone  (Read 891 times)

Wraith67

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - Zongshen ZS125-30
    • View Profile
Hi Everyone
« on: 14 October 2017, 12:47:13 pm »
Hi,
A quick intro lol.
I'm a PCV Driving Instructor / CPC Trainer in Kent.  Been L Plating on and off since 1990, necer seemed to get round to passing my test!! Hopefully getting DAS done before Christmas.
I was given a 51 Plate FZS 600 Fazer, knackered Clutch Basket and Push Rod (God only knows what he was trying to do!!), hasn't been run for 3 years, just sat under a lean to in his garden, slowly buying and fitting parts to it.  Hoping to have the engine started (fingers crossed!) in the next month!
It's now my project for when I get my test passed.
Looking forward to getting to know you all and hopefully when I'm on the road on it, meeting some of you as well!!
 :) :)

fordlatch41

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Street triple rs
    • View Profile
Re: Hi Everyone
« Reply #1 on: 15 October 2017, 09:13:28 pm »
Just got my first one, and slowly sorting it out, I paid £650 for mine and expect to spend about £150-£200 on it to get it up to scratch, lucky you for being given one.
Let us know how you get on with it.

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 October 2017, 06:02:52 am »
Good luck with your test and getting the bike roadworthy.

I will have to attend 4 more cpc courses soon or lose my right to drive a lorry professionally - as soon as I can face being bored to death - or change my job (tempting).

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 October 2017, 08:44:34 am »
Driving now-a-days seems so foccing confusing for an old fart like me, not just driving but trying to earn a living in a lot of spheres of life.
Once your trained and have passed the appropriate test/completed the course that should be it, well it always was.
I'm a retired brickie (71) I did my apprenticeship, 4 years on the firm, one day a week (Day Release) at Guildford Tech learning the more technical side of the job (Stresses, Load bearing, Bonding) and worked on site 4 days a week. Then 4 years down the line you are qualified, that's it, any changes in construction practices you learned and adapted as you went along.

I feel so sorry for trades like plumbers, electricians and I'm sure there are a lot more that fall into the same category. The is lots of additional training they have to do and keep that training up to date, Part P some of it is called, poor old plumber or Sparkie had to go do a 4 or 5 week training course that costs him a couple of grand to do to keep his qualification up to date, not only does it cost him the 2 grand he is not earning for the period and ends up costing 6 grand with lost wages, not to mention lost customer because they want their work done.
Surely to goodness these guys are not foccing stupid they can learn and adapt to new standards as they go along  with out shelling out an arm and a leg every couple of years.
People them moan that it's difficult to get a Plumber or a Sparkie and they charge so much, is it any wonder.

So much bullshit, by law a untrained layman can not change a cold water tap washer in his kitchen, you by law have to be a Part P qualified plumber because it is mains water therefore classed as Potable Water (drinking water) you could find yourself in serious trouble if you were found out. As I said Bullshit, A lot of peoples outside taps are illeagle, standpipes or outside taps should have an anti symphony valve in them, any outside tap 15/20 or so years old as not within spec. More bullshit.
What gets my goat? Nothing Mr easy going.  :rolleyes

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 October 2017, 10:40:19 am »
In the 6 drivers cpc courses I have attended I have learnt only one thing.
I should be an instructor! Much easier and better paid than being a driver.
Only problem is the majority of work is during the weekend so no good for me.
Oh. That makes it 2 things I have learnt!

F4celess

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 October 2017, 02:04:32 pm »
Welcome to the Club!

Certainly creates a buzz of enthusiasm (for getting on with the DAS / "big bike" Tests), when you acquire a "big" bike, that you cant legally take onto the roads!
I was in a similar situation with my first 600, a ZX6R Ninja, that had been sat in a barn for a handful of years. Was a random purchase, after a chat with a work colleague.

Look forward to updates on the restore of this Fazer! Best of luck with it.  :thumbup