Date: 19-03-24  Time: 04:17 am

Author Topic: Hateful 8  (Read 4515 times)

cy8rm4n

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
Hateful 8
« on: 14 October 2017, 12:43:55 pm »
 I'm new here having just put down deposit on a Fazer 8. Well not strictly true, I did mull around here when I had a 2000 carbed 600 Fazer & then again a 2006 FZ6 Fazer about 5 years ago.

I resurrected my profile from back then & onto this section of the forum. First I'm surprised how quiet it is. I know Yamaha discontinued the bikes in large part due to poor sales but how many FZ8s & Fazer 8s are actually out there?

The good thing about it being so quiet is I've been able to read through all the previous posts quite easily. I'm really surprised at all the haters of the 8 series. I know the likes of MCN weren't overly keen on the bike but all they could really say negative was the original retail price was too high & non adjustable forks were bad. It seems even to the 600 & 1000 foccers that the 8s are the embarrassing relations you don't invite to the family events in case they show you up.

I was in the showroom with no thoughts of returning to Fazerdom when the lovely 2013 in black caught my eye as a damn good looking bike. When I realised it was a Fazer then my fondness for that marque came flooding back. They had an FZ1 in stock as well but I fancied a bit fairing after a few years on naked Triumphs & I don't think the extra hp will be any use to me in the real world other than as a licence loser when my mate on his ZZR 1400 opens up.

I note that actual owners of the 8 seem to have little negative to say about them, so why all the hatred?

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
Re: Hateful 8
« Reply #1 on: 14 October 2017, 03:12:56 pm »
There is absolutely no hatred towards the 800 on here,and there is nothing wrong with bike, its just that there are a lot less 800 members than 600 or 1000 members.
I think you will find that 800 owners are quite happy with their choice of bike.

Before I bought my FZ1s I considered an 800 but bought the 1000 instead, my reasoning being it had no real advantages over the 1000 and if I had wanted a lighter, more economical bike I would have gone for the 600. The 800 did not sell very well precisely because people who wanted a bigger bike chose the 1000, and people who wanted a smaller bike picked a 600.

celticbiker

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 October 2017, 04:53:01 pm »
When I bought mine it was on a whim. I had gone to buy a Tracer and had all but forgotten about the existence of the fazer 8.
I had always liked it aesthetically speaking as it stood out from the other fazers (600 and 1000) and from the then current crop of bikes that were on the market.
As for it being quiet in the 800 section I prefer to see that as a positive. To me it means that people aren't on here every five minutes looking for solutions to problems.
On the topic of problems, I tend to see most problems with any bike I have due to the mileage I cover (20000 pa) and the only maintenance cost has been a new starter relay £6, new front wheel bearings £8 and the 24000 mile top end service £250.
Granted I've spent £1500 on other things but they were just for personal preference and detailing.
Do I have anything bad to say about the bike, well realistically no. I commute 100 miles/day, motorway, A and B roads and ride for pleasure on weekends and have no problem covering 400 miles/day without complaint.
It's torquey enough, fast enough, can filter through city traffic with ease and can tear up the mountain roads in Wales. I can see why these bikes didn't sell when they were out especially at the asking price at the time but I'm willing to bet that with a bit of tweaking they would sell like hotcakes now.
(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste
(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help
(")-(") him gain world domination!

cy8rm4n

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 October 2017, 05:38:53 pm »
I'm confident I've made the right choice, just thought I may become a leper to non 8 owners.

Luckily for me the dealer didn't have the 2 daytonas they now do in stick the day I went to look or I'd have chucked my money at them, despite being completely impractical for me.

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 October 2017, 08:04:43 pm »
This is the first mention of an 8 since I've been on this forum so I wouldn't say the others hate the model otherwise the threads would be full of comments.
I've got a thou literally because of the price, I've always hankered after one and this one popped up at the right price at the right time. If it had been an 8 I might have gone for that too.
I would say (at a good guess) that the majority of members on here have the 600, so you'll have to make up for the lack of numbers and shout up about the 8.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 October 2017, 09:52:57 pm »
To be fair I've not heard anyone slagging off the Fz8, as above I've barely heard anyone mention it. It just wasn't a very popular bike when new so I'm not sure there's that many about. From what I gather it's basically an fz1n with less power, only slightly less weight and none adjustable suspension that doesn't really cost any less. I personally went for the 1000 just because I'd rather have more power than I need than less power than i want (if that makes sense) the way I saw it was that if I bought the 8 I might have wanted the 1 but by buying the 1 I'm never gonna want the 8

david095

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 October 2017, 04:27:14 pm »
It certainly wasn't my first choice of bike, but I bought my 8 from new (black 2013) as it was reduced in price (the MT 08) were on their way, it had a minimal deposit, and 0% finance over 4 years.

It's got it's niggles I'm sure, but then I'm not a MCN critic that can ride bikes back to back and compare them.

It accelerates swiftly enough for me and has seemed to stop swiftly enough for me. I can do 150 miles with no arse cramps, but then sometimes I can do 50 and get them (but then I'm no youngster)

The missus enjoys going on the back for a quick trip to Filey for fish and chips or to Lincoln for lunch, but she wouldn't last a touring weekend on it, and I'm not sure if I would.

Every now and then I think to myself 'I really fancy a new bike' i go into the garage and have a look and think, it looks good, it goes well enough, it's paid for and it hasn't killed me yet. and then go and have another beer.
Porquoi moi?

mr self destruct

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Riding without a crash since 24-04-15
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 October 2017, 07:36:05 pm »
Got to admit I'm looking at a Fazer 8 for my next bike. My local dealer has a 2010 model for £3999, and you'd pay £1k more for a same year FZ1s.
The only criticism I've heard for the 8's is how they're just as heavy as the fz1 but not that much more bhp than the fz6. MT09's are dipping under £5k now and I had my heart set one one of those, but I value a fairing more than the extra bhp. The more I think about them the more sense they make.
Broken, bruised, forgotten, sore,
too fucked up to care any more.

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 October 2017, 07:41:21 pm »
MT-09's may be cheap next year when all the people who bought them on PCP's just hand them back. There could potentially be a glut of them.

mr self destruct

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Riding without a crash since 24-04-15
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 October 2017, 10:15:32 am »
They're dropping pretty quickly even now which I reckon will have a knock-on effect on the 8's, so hopefully next year I can grab a bargain.
Broken, bruised, forgotten, sore,
too fucked up to care any more.

cy8rm4n

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 October 2017, 02:07:39 pm »
 The more stuff I find online (which is pretty sparse) the more convinced I am that this is the bike for me. I know on paper the MTs are better bikes but the styling just doesn't do it for me.

I'm liking the 8 in part because there are so few of them, it's not eye candy to tea leafs & it seems a bit of a wolf in sheepskin clothing so can be the bike I want it to be dependent on the mood I'm in that particular day.

Okay, having started this thread, perhaps the use of the word hate was a bit strong but there's certainly a lot of negativity towards the 8 from the non 8 owners all over the web & little mention of it on other sections of even this forum. I'm ok with that & get the arguements of people who don't understand why we'd settle for less horsepower when you can get a 1000 for not far off the same price. I just fell for this particular bike & knew I didn't need & couldn't justify a 1000. Had there been one I found as aesthetically pleasing at similar age, mileage & price on the same day at the dealer then I might very well have gone for that. But there wasn't & the chameleon effect of being any bike to any person of the 8 appealed.

Pick her up next week. Can't wait.

celticbiker

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 October 2017, 03:05:26 pm »
Where are you based Cy? Maybe we can meet up and compare notes.

cy8rm4n

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 October 2017, 10:33:42 am »
 Deep in the heart of the Midlands mate. Only made it over to Wales a couple of times, both were very wet  :)

Picking her up Wednesday but back to work Thursday  :(  so not going to be having too much fun yet.

celticbiker

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23 October 2017, 07:45:29 pm »
Ah, the Midlands are only a couple of hours away. If you fancy meeting up for breakfast and a ride give me a shout.

cy8rm4n

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24 October 2017, 09:06:03 am »
Will do at some point, it'll be an excuse to ride & I guess we could look at a halfway point somewhere

I work shifts, are weekdays any good for you (or anyone else reading who may be interested)?

celticbiker

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 25 October 2017, 11:17:32 am »
Unfortunately not got 'promoted' a couple of years back now I'm solid 9-5.
Pita tbh

cy8rm4n

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 25 October 2017, 06:32:35 pm »
Will PM whenever I have a free weekend to see how you're fixed.

Loving the bike, had to take the 100 mile route home....well I had some new tyres to break in 😉