Date: 28-03-24  Time: 12:59 pm

Author Topic: The things friends do  (Read 885 times)

DILLIGAFF

• Muppet

Plucking foccer
    Official FOC-U Saga Lout
    Kock Leeper
  • GP Hero
  • Leeper of cocks
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
The things friends do
« on: 11 October 2017, 10:58:58 am »
Just back from a few days on a friend's boat. He has no sailing or motor boat experience but bought himself a 32ft. Princess so asked me to help him bring it down the Thames from Wargrave to Weybridge. He amazed me daily with his absolute lack of practical ability or common sense but there was one incident which had us both collapsed in laughter.

We moored up at Windsor and I put on a centre line to hold the boat in while I then tied off fore and aft. When I was satisfied that the boat was secure I untied the centre line from the bank. Enter the friend who had been "busy" checking his phone and, in an effort to help, picked up the loose centre line and I watched incredulously as he very carefully tied it off to the stern cleat on his boat. Effectively mooring his boat to itself!!!!!

He then stood back, beaming proudly at me with his contribution to safely securing his craft to the bank, and between bouts of hysterical laughter it took me a while to explain to him the stupidity of what he had done.

There were numerous other incidents but it made me wonder, what have your friends done?
I used to not give a foc, then I discovered Red Bull and now I don't give a flying foc !!!

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
Re: The things friends do
« Reply #1 on: 11 October 2017, 12:50:14 pm »
once (December 85) a mate & I were asked if we would move a canal boat from Nottingham to Sawley marina, a days work, however as we entered the River Trent it was running too fast so decided to re-enter the canal. my mate thought that throwing the anchor in to turn the boat was a good idea so as I heard the plop of anchor hit the water quickly followed by a tirade of expletives.. yep he hadn't checked that the chain was secured at both ends!!

still laugh about it to this day!!

this was at the start of our naval careers... however the officer never bothered to ask us again  :rollin

« Last Edit: 11 October 2017, 12:52:09 pm by Robbie8666 »
It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 October 2017, 08:40:42 pm »
Think your mate should make a large donation to the RNLI as way of insurance sounds like he's going to need them.

DILLIGAFF

• Muppet

Plucking foccer
    Official FOC-U Saga Lout
    Kock Leeper
  • GP Hero
  • Leeper of cocks
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 October 2017, 09:49:02 am »
I was onboard again yesterday and it still took him 5 tries to get his lifejacket on correctly!!!
I used to not give a foc, then I discovered Red Bull and now I don't give a flying foc !!!