Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Acf50
« on: 10 October 2017, 07:58:17 am »
So having learnt my lesson last winter I've decided to try and protect the fz1 this year and bought a can of the good stuff.
My question now is what do I actually do with it? haha its supposed to stop corrosion but I'm not sure what to spray it on? Surely the exhaust will just burn it off so no point being on there, the suspension linkage will get a good dose as that's where I found a lot or rust after last winter but other than im stumped?

celticbiker

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
Re: Acf50
« Reply #1 on: 10 October 2017, 08:03:58 am »
Depends on how you wash your bike I guess.
It leaves a slightly waxy coating on everything, if this doesn't bother you then coat everything apart from the seat and grips and brake discs.
The idea is that you don't wash the bike too often through out the winter so that the protective layer stays in place.
(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste
(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help
(")-(") him gain world domination!

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 October 2017, 11:32:06 am »
I use a cheap spray gun bought at Stafford bike show. Think I paid £15 for it. Warm the bottle up in a bucket of hot water first, that makes it easier to spray, nice mist rather than a jet. Low pressure on the gun, only approx 5 ps1. Bin liners over both wheels and brake units. Seat off. Spray all over but only thinly. Carbs, electrical connectors, under the tank, under fenders, engine, exhausts, all get it. Wash the gun out with white spirit. Leave a couple of hours to let it creep, then wipe over the areas you can get to easily with a clean rag. Engine and pipes will give off white smoke when next fired up

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #3 on: 10 October 2017, 01:10:11 pm »
Depends on how you wash your bike I guess.
It leaves a slightly waxy coating on everything, if this doesn't bother you then coat everything apart from the seat and grips and brake discs.
The idea is that you don't wash the bike too often through out the winter so that the protective layer stays in place.

what's is this washing of bikes? are they not self cleaning, like the dishes & clothes in my house?
It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!

Rob R

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2009 FZ1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 October 2017, 08:38:01 pm »
As Celticbiker says- avoid brakes, seat, grips. I also regret accidently coating the exhaust headers and finding that the first time out I stopped at some traffic lights and it was smoking like a chip pan fire.

celticbiker

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 October 2017, 09:51:45 pm »
As Celticbiker says- avoid brakes, seat, grips. I also regret accidently coating the exhaust headers and finding that the first time out I stopped at some traffic lights and it was smoking like a chip pan fire.

Smells nice though dunnit  :b

what's is this washing of bikes? are they not self cleaning, like the dishes & clothes in my house?

Theres loads of dating apps for your phone these days, got a feeling you're going to need them if your Mrs reads that.  :lol
(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste
(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help
(")-(") him gain world domination!

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 October 2017, 08:37:55 am »
Thanks for the info guys. So ya say coat everything under the tank etc too? Would that not need to be washed off at some point then? And wouldn't it interfere with the electricals?

Anquetil

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600 2003, FZS 600 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 October 2017, 08:48:06 am »
Have a look at this site. allyearbiker.co.uk    Video gives you an idea how they prepare the bike and apply ACF50.

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 October 2017, 10:29:46 am »
Just "google" ACF 50 & its uses/means of application all will become apparent. I swear by the stuff-It seems expensive but it is economical in use-I have bought the bottle & pump action spray bottle this year which is good value from some online suppliers. Aerosol cans retail around the £15 mark in dealers.

DILLIGAFF

• Muppet

Plucking foccer
    Official FOC-U Saga Lout
    Kock Leeper
  • GP Hero
  • Leeper of cocks
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 October 2017, 11:01:24 am »
There used to be a member on here, NOOJ, who did this service?
I used to not give a foc, then I discovered Red Bull and now I don't give a flying foc !!!

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 October 2017, 04:28:01 pm »
Thanks for the info guys. So ya say coat everything under the tank etc too? Would that not need to be washed off at some point then? And wouldn't it interfere with the electricals?

No. Why would you want to wash it off. Its good for elctricals, prevents damp getting in, and verdi gris. As weve said before, everywhere bar the brakes/discs/tyres/seat grips

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11 October 2017, 05:11:06 pm »
Yes yes I only ride in the dry but it does get condensation in certain conditions when it has been very cold and we get a warm snap.
I just do the vulnerable bits. a few nuts -frame  behind the down pipes, underneath frame work around the stands. I spray it into the lid and then use a dipped rag or the wifes tooth brush.
I don't see the point in covering doing perfectly sound paint.
One draw back is that it attracts dirt and dust so I wipe off during the summer.     
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 October 2017, 07:51:50 pm »
Everything you want to protecet except the brakes even the exhaust will still leave a film.
I read an article which claimed the bike didnt have to be fully clean before applying and it would still be protected
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #13 on: 11 October 2017, 10:52:31 pm »
There used to be a member on here, NOOJ, who did this service?

If you're near Newbury, he still does: http://www.shinybikesyndrome.co.uk/new/

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 October 2017, 09:58:59 am »
Nooj had a lovely looking box eye  in pearlescent white that deefer painted, top job
fire never sleeps