Date: 29-03-24  Time: 13:07 pm

Author Topic: Delkevic 200mm  (Read 3902 times)

nobrakes

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Delkevic 200mm
« on: 03 October 2017, 11:37:41 am »
Hi guys,

I ordered 200mm stubby slip on from ebay. Seems to be without link pipe, only slip on.

Wondering if it fits without the link pipe, is the stock pipe long enought so I can use the original mount holes?

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
  • riding till i die (or breakdown)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fazer stolen - gsx1100 rebuild
    • View Profile
    • disorderly punks motovlog
Re: Delkevic 200mm
« Reply #1 on: 03 October 2017, 12:12:01 pm »
if you bought it from ebay then you will have to buy the link pipe seperate
(about £40)
got to ask how much you paid for the stubby alone ?
« Last Edit: 03 October 2017, 12:15:53 pm by Disorderlypunk »

nobrakes

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 October 2017, 12:42:40 pm »
if you bought it from ebay then you will have to buy the link pipe seperate
(about £40)
got to ask how much you paid for the stubby alone ?

stupid me did not read description. Bought can only. Sent email to delkevic, hope they are selling link pipe separatly.

nobrakes

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 October 2017, 07:48:37 am »
Got the link pipe from delkevic for 50 quids. The sound is.... Big safety improvement, people are more aware on whats coming up behind them.  :lol
But it kills my head after 1 hour of riding without db killer.

F4celess

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 October 2017, 09:05:38 am »
Any Pics of this fitted to the FZS600? To get an idea how a Stubby looks on the Fazer. Plus where's the mandatory youtube sound check video?  ;)

I'm looking for a new (slightly louder) exhaust - currently running the 500mm Yamaha bazooka !!  :eek
Was planning to go for a 300mm silencer, which is a nice compromise (not extremely short or long).

However, after watching several videos of the 200mm Shorty/Stubby, that very low burble sounds great, plus will help keep you heard and noticed (by car drivers - safety first!). Also is this going to get through an MOT with the DB Killer in, without much trouble?

« Last Edit: 17 October 2017, 09:09:26 am by F4celess »

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 October 2017, 10:19:20 am »
Go to your MOT tester and ask if it will pass before going for the actual test.
My tester took the pee out of my bike and asked why I'd put the baffle back in. He said it sounded awful and he might even fail it unless I agreed to remove the baffle. 
Some testers are more anal than others.

nobrakes

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 October 2017, 10:51:49 am »
Ill post a photo later today.

We dont have MOT on motrocycle in Norway, but if the copper pulls you to side then you might need to drive down to the "traffic station" (dont know the English word for it) and show them papers for it. I know people are just replacing with the before they show up.

F4celess

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 October 2017, 10:56:12 am »
Go to your MOT tester and ask if it will pass before going for the actual test.
My tester took the pee out of my bike and asked why I'd put the baffle back in. He said it sounded awful and he might even fail it unless I agreed to remove the baffle. 
Some testers are more anal than others.

I'm obviously going to the wrong MOT test centres!  :lol Make you feel a little intimidated, like you are being tested (as well as the vehicle)!

Looking up MOT requirements - the motorcycle exhaust should be fitted securely, plus with no major leaks to the pipework.
Plus, the noise emitted should not be unreasonably above the level expected from a similar vehicle with a standard silencer in average condition. However gives no actual dB level as a failure.

Looking at this Shorty on the Delkevic website however, it states "not road legal in the UK".

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 October 2017, 01:15:13 pm »
mot centers i believe will just pass as acceptable levels
i had my vl800 pass at 118DB which is far too loud and he only DB tested it out of curiosity
a quick search turned up this
This from the DfT:[/size]"Motorcycle noise can be especially intrusive. Existing maximum noise limits for motorcycles are significantly higher than for cars, and even from June 1999, when a more stringent 80 dB(A) noise limit will be applied to new motor cycles over 175cc, limits will still be 6 dB(A) higher. These relatively high limits reflect the limited scope on motorcycles for cladding and other noise suppression techniques. Furthermore, the fitting by some motorcyclists of inappropriate or altered silencers, mainly on older machines, can exacerbate the problem of motorcycle noise. The UK now has one of most stringent series of regulations in force to control both construction standards for, and the sale of, replacement silencers for motorcycles."[/color]

F4celess

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 October 2017, 02:49:44 pm »
Thank you for that additional information DP, very interesting reading. So again as said, comes down to the actual MOT tester on the day (which is not reassuring).
I got an email response from a contact in Delkevic, regarding their 200mm Shorty, and being legal on UK roads.  :) ...

Silencers described as NOT ROAD LEGAL are race cans, and very aggressively loud.
The noise will fail the MOT. The baffle on short silencers make hardly any difference.
Depending on the motorbike they can reach 110dB or even more.
On an ER6 for example, they rattle windows and set car alarms off.
So it all depends on your motorbike really

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 October 2017, 03:46:35 pm »
there is usually a marking saying not for road use on the banding and that will give you a fail
however if someone Accidently replaced it with a bsau stamped band after a repack
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BSAU-Band-4-Road-Legal-Stubby-Exhaust-Race-Can-A16-/162641711889?epid=0&hash=item25de339311:m:m3sWvhXCq-7DnA66EYyF3Ag

then it is less likely to get a fail - but once again this comes down to how anal retentive the mot guy is... they do know what is/isnt legal but that bsau is a requirment i believe
and if you do get stopped by the police you will have to say that you bought the can as is 2nd hand at a bike show / autojumble
because if there is a vosa checkpoint nearby you are still likely to end up paying a visit and its better to be just wrong and get a rectification notice than to say openly that you did it to decieve the mot station (who knows what would happen there[size=78%])[/size]

nobrakes

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 18 October 2017, 07:50:59 pm »
Video and picture
Any Pics of this fitted to the FZS600? To get an idea how a Stubby looks on the Fazer. Plus where's the mandatory youtube sound check video?  ;)

I'm looking for a new (slightly louder) exhaust - currently running the 500mm Yamaha bazooka !!  :eek
Was planning to go for a 300mm silencer, which is a nice compromise (not extremely short or long).

However, after watching several videos of the 200mm Shorty/Stubby, that very low burble sounds great, plus will help keep you heard and noticed (by car drivers - safety first!). Also is this going to get through an MOT with the DB Killer in, without much trouble?

as requested.

https://youtu.be/dRGcMrx697E
« Last Edit: 18 October 2017, 10:19:57 pm by nobrakes »

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18 October 2017, 08:35:03 pm »
The boss at the garage I go to asked the mot tester why he passed the Harley that was as loud as thunder yet failed the Honda step thru cos it had a slight blow. The Harley was louder at tick over than the Honda at full throttle.
His reply... The Harley exhaust isn't blowing and I don't like the twit that owns the Honda.
So yeah. Maybe you and the bike are being tested!

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 18 October 2017, 10:07:49 pm »
The boss at the garage I go to asked the mot tester why he passed the Harley that was as loud as thunder yet failed the Honda step thru cos it had a slight blow. The Harley was louder at tick over than the Honda at full throttle.
His reply... The Harley exhaust isn't blowing and I don't like the twit that owns the Honda.
So yeah. Maybe you and the bike are being tested!

and my honda cub is still sitting in the shed

F4celess

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 19 October 2017, 09:25:38 am »
nobrakes - Thank you for taking the time to post the video, plus adding the photo above. Both Bike plus exhaust look sweet !  8)

The Shorty doesn't look out of proportion. Plus if it saves my life, it can only be a plus!... I'll side saddle the :faz out of our street, then fire her up!!...  :eek :lol

Disorderlypunk - Interesting point on the markings. Will look out for that. The "band" you mentuion, is this the straps around the Can during manufacture, or "just" the mounting Strap?

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 19 October 2017, 12:29:51 pm »
that banding is what holds it all together (sort of)
its riveted on at the 'exit' end of the exhaust once the old band has been removed by drilling out the rivets

-please note that i only threw that ebay link up for people to see that they are available, you will have to know the correct size you need

as i keep telling my godson when teaching him fabrication "you can always cut some off but you cant put it back on"
-i dont think he has realised what a welder is for yet, i was told that during my joinery course