Date: 28-03-24  Time: 11:24 am

Author Topic: exhaust / dyno question  (Read 1188 times)

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
  • riding till i die (or breakdown)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fazer stolen - gsx1100 rebuild
    • View Profile
    • disorderly punks motovlog
exhaust / dyno question
« on: 28 September 2017, 03:49:54 pm »
ok im hoping there is a dyno guy here somewhere

i have seen on some bikes exhaust headers there is a bolt going direct into the exhaust downpipe per downpipe (+extra material to hold it)
i was wondering if this is something that is used during dyno runs to set up each cylinder perfectly air/fuel mixture whatever
i dont have then on mine but i know it wouldnt be hard to fit some if i find out the right thread and depth of the extra bit of steel i need
so i am just wondering if this would be beneficial to the dyno guy when i finally get it ready to do a run to get everything set up as best as possible

i would see it being benificial as it would give a reading from each cylinder and not just one probe down the exhaust
anyone know the score

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: exhaust / dyno question
« Reply #1 on: 28 September 2017, 05:12:20 pm »
Just drill a hole in each downpipe and weld a nut over the hole then fit a short bolt into the nut. Job done.

Theoretically they are used for exhaust gas analysis on a per cylinder level but I don't think anyone has ever used them (not even Yamaha)
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 September 2017, 07:26:32 pm »
All sounds a bit OTT to me, Dyno operators know exactly what they're doing, I don't think they really need any help.
And exactly how much do you want out of a very old bike anyway?
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 September 2017, 07:44:57 pm »
ooh its getting fully rebuilt and streetfightered - think along the lines of 'major fazer'
i just want to make sure everything is as sweet as possible from the fueling side of things to match how the engine is after its rebuilt
its currently running pods and works well but i know it can be better setup once it hits the dyno after i replace the cheap pods to different setup
if individual exhaust readings make the life of the dyno operator easier to tune things then i will do everything to do that

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 September 2017, 08:02:10 pm »
ooh its getting fully rebuilt and streetfightered - think along the lines of 'major fazer'
i just want to make sure everything is as sweet as possible from the fueling side of things to match how the engine is after its rebuilt
its currently running pods and works well but i know it can be better setup once it hits the dyno after i replace the cheap pods to different setup
if individual exhaust readings make the life of the dyno operator easier to tune things then i will do everything to do that

Fair enough, it sounds like you know exactly what you want  :)

daviee

« Reply #5 on: 28 September 2017, 08:02:45 pm »
tbh it wont make any difference as the gas analyser goes in the tail pipe and reads from their  , so providing each carb is set the  same then it will be fine when i done the dyno the art was  how to read the gas analyser and how the bike reacted  on each run and what the bhp graph looked like , as for pod filters imo they are a total waste of time as they are far to prone to atmospheric changes and run different every time best thing to do  for the road is get the airbox back on it then the carbs are all getting the same breathing every pod breaths different 

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 September 2017, 08:15:37 pm »
not really i tend to have an idea then it gets made up as i go along, i dont like anything standard
i just have no idea on dyno stuff as i have only used one once before and it was years ago on a v-twin with single carb
-prob should ask my father as he has built enough race bikes in his day but they were classic bikes even in the 80s-early 90's
never had a chance of not riding

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 September 2017, 11:23:53 pm »
All sounds a bit OTT to me, Dyno operators know exactly what they're doing, I don't think they really need any help.
And exactly how much do you want out of a very old bike anyway?
i dont consider the fazer a very old bike
my other bike is older than me however

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 September 2017, 06:39:47 am »
I've had my bike on the Dyno 3 or 4 times over the years when having the carbs properly cleaned out and the fella who does it is more like a bike surgeon than a mechanic.
I tried having it re-jetted once but that never really worked out and i had it changed back to standard jets and it then ran fine again.
Another thing he always said was that for best performance you wouldn't get much better than the stock exhaust, but i just can't stand how quiet it is, plus it's not exactly easy on the eye either. 

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 September 2017, 11:40:19 am »
just had a crack with the old man and he has never used a dyno for tuning - seems strange but how tuned can a norton get
he is thinking it is probably for plugging lamda sensors and that sort of shit for fuel injection bikes
fuel injection is wizardry in my opinion as ive not learnt it yet (need to grow merlins beard first)