Date: 19-04-24  Time: 23:46 pm

Author Topic: airbox modification  (Read 2172 times)

ptolemyx

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Busa
    • View Profile
airbox modification
« on: 27 September 2017, 09:44:21 am »
Has anyone modified the airbox? The area of the air intake looks, at first impressions, to be rather small.......
when in doubt go flat out

old son

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX10R
    • View Profile
Re: airbox modification
« Reply #1 on: 27 September 2017, 12:03:41 pm »
Mike GTX has done a few  ;)

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 September 2017, 03:17:13 pm »
Yes, a few ... :;

See here:

http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17064&highlight=Ivans+air+box+mod&page=2

Use the illustration at post #16, not the photos on the first page of the thread.

You should rejet if you intend to do this mod and also fit a performance air filter.  Altering the air box lid requires the intake stubs to be gas-flowed as well in order to gain the best results:

http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47373&highlight=intake+boot+mods

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 September 2017, 03:25:15 pm »
OK, seems Photobucket won't show the photos in the original thread unless I upgrade my account at a cost of $300 per year!  Yeah, not happening ... so my apologies, but I won't be able to post these photos until I get home and can access them on my home PC.  Sorry!

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 September 2017, 04:46:23 pm »
Altering the air box lid requires the intake stubs to be gas-flowed as well in order to gain the best results:

http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47373&highlight=intake+boot+mods

Having gone back to non-gas-flowed inlet stubs, can't say I noticed any actual difference on the road, so not necessary.

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 September 2017, 07:35:23 pm »
OK, seems Photobucket won't show the photos in the original thread unless I upgrade my account at a cost of $300 per year!  Yeah, not happening ... so my apologies, but I won't be able to post these photos until I get home and can access them on my home PC.  Sorry!

This is why I switched to FLICKR.

old son

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX10R
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 September 2017, 06:48:18 am »
Altering the air box lid requires the intake stubs to be gas-flowed as well in order to gain the best results:

Having gone back to non-gas-flowed inlet stubs, can't say I noticed any actual difference on the road, so not necessary.

But that is YOUR opinion. I really don't think Ivan would have included it as part of the upgrade if it actually makes no difference and I'm sure Mike would sooner not spend the 20 minutes of so actually doing it.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 September 2017, 07:21:58 am »
I think the key phrases are 'in order to gain the best results' and 'can't say I noticed any difference on the road'. :)  My added emphasis.

I say that because the intake stub modification is to improve gas flow at peak rpm and it's what allows the engine to breathe most effectively at the top end of the rev range.

On the road, most of us don't get to use the 8 - 11k rpm regime all that much.  When we do, it's usually during hard acceleration in the lower gears.  The rush is such that frankly, most would be hard-pressed to notice an extra 4 - 5bhp at 8k rpm and over ... everything's happening very fast at that point!  :lol   

In the higher gears, holding on to wide open throttle at 120mph plus, well ... yes, the additional horses are what keep the motor pulling harder but again, it's a difficult thing to quantify if you can't compare stock with tuned back-to-back.

The dyno tells the story better, of course.  Personally, having done the various mods one at a time, I found the most discernible difference was that the motor picked up revs a bit quicker after having the intake stubs modified.  Again, going from stock straight to Full Monty, that's a hard thing to notice when also encountering all the other benefits of the Full Monty for the first time. :)

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 September 2017, 09:51:51 am »

But that is YOUR opinion. I really don't think Ivan would have included it as part of the upgrade if it actually makes no difference and I'm sure Mike would sooner not spend the 20 minutes of so actually doing it.

My point was only that the inlet stub gas flowing is not required if doing the air box mod, or Ivan's mod. I was merely questioning Mike's choice of wording, which I felt may have been misleading. It may be that not having it done loses the optimum in performance, but I found it barely noticeable for everyday road use, i.e., not always caning the nuts off it...always assuming you're not dazza of course  :lol

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 September 2017, 08:29:25 pm »
Pretty much what I said, then. :)

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 September 2017, 04:29:19 am »
If you're going to go down the dyno route to get the best set-up possible then it makes sense to do every modification no matter how small.
If I wanted a faster bike I'd just buy an R1 but that doesn't mean I won't be making a few mods 'just to make it better.'

ptolemyx

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Busa
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29 September 2017, 07:04:51 am »
Agree with above post.
 For fast I have my drag and LSR (Land Speed Racing) prepped B-King and  for fast road and track riding the Busa. Still want the Fazer (which was bought as a project to do up and sell on but is such a hoot it's a keeper) to do as well as it can........
when in doubt go flat out