Date: 28-03-24  Time: 13:36 pm

Author Topic: Bargains?  (Read 6596 times)

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Bargains?
« Reply #25 on: 09 October 2017, 05:06:06 pm »
Well the good news is the disc is the right fitting, the bad news is I've managed to snap one of the bolt heads in the wheel  :wall The bolts were a bugger to get out, took lots of heat and took some of the thread with them. I'm going to retap the threads and use new bolts along with the threadlocker.
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 09 October 2017, 08:08:08 pm »
Best of luck with getting the snapped one out - unless you've already done it...
I've got to admit that I hate trying to undo disk bolts cos you never know if one's gonna break.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 09 October 2017, 10:13:38 pm »
Firstly, do they even need threadlock, 'cos i seriously cannot imagine them ever coming loose if torqued properly?
And secondly, as the disc is being changed, would it not be a great idea to take the bike for a spin and use a lot of rear brake, because that will heat all the disc bolts up anyway!
Agreed, threadlock is not necessary in my view. I've used Copaslip when I change the discs and they haven't unscrewed themselves.

As for the rear disc heating the screws and wheel hub, it just doesn't.
Well, no more than a few degrees anyway.
Steel is a lousy conductor so most of the heat is lost to the air directly from the disc. What little does get there is then distributed rapidly through the whole wheel (aluminium is an excellent conductor), so it never gets the bolts any more than tepid.

I can totally understand manufacturers using thread lock, they're simply covering their arse in the very unlikely event that a bolt might unscrew, plus they don't have to remove the buggers either so probably smear plenty of the strong stuff on it too.
It's quite possible the disc I tried removing was the OEM one so maybe that's why it was so difficult?
I think some types of threadlock continue to get stronger with age. Front discs are less of a problem because they wear out quicker, but the rear can easily be 15 years old before it needs changing. That also gives plenty of time for moisture to creep in and cause corrosion.

They probably use the strong stuff, and yeah it does get savagely strong over time.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 09 October 2017, 11:21:32 pm »
Thread lock on anything other than the front sprocket nut is out as far as I am concerned.
I have heard of guys thread locking exhaust studs into the head, and the exhaust manifold nuts, that's not asking for trouble is it?
Also thread lock on front fork steering head pinch bolts and front fender/mudguard mountings, not for me in cast alloy. guys sometimes thread lock the axles in and the fork bottom pinch bolts, why?
I know some say that it is a belt and braces technique and better be safe that sorry, my new S/S head studs went in with copper slip as did my front fender mountings and my axles and all the pinch bolts.

I take the manifold nuts off one at a time just once in a while and re-apply copper slip.

I struggled like a loony getting my rear disc of when I changed it, copious amounts of plus gas for about a week before hand, gave them several hard sharp cracks with a ball pain hammer (flat side) and also used a gas blow lamp on them, they all came out but there were beads of sweat were on my brow expecting the worse, that will not happen again, proper spanner headed stainless steel bolts went back in with a smear of copper slip applied to each, that was two years ago you know what not one has come loose and I know that if I need to change it again it will be much easier next time.
Anyway those dome headed allen/allan screw headed things really are made of cheese, often your Allen key will wreak them. the sprocket is not so bad but again no thread lock, they seem to have inserts in the nuts/bolts.

I always reckon that a steel bolt going into alloy will often be a bastard to get out without thread lock because of electrolysis between the two metals that white powdery stuff inside threads is not good.
In my opinion only.

PS:
The bolts that hold the sprocket on pass right into the centre of the hub where those ventilation holes that are in the hub, you can actually see the threaded part of the bolts sticking through into the void, usually covered in rust, also 10-12 mm longer than they need to be thats 10-12mm of rusted bolt that has got to be unscrewed through the threaded soft alloy hub, (I replaced mine with Stainless Steel 10 mm shorter than the ones that came out) with Copper slip.
A Dremel with the flexy snake type lead and a small rotary wire brush helps inside the hub to clean the threads, you cant get at it all but if you clean 50% it helps, it's also a good spray plus gas on them inside the hub as well.
« Last Edit: 09 October 2017, 11:28:41 pm by tommyardin »

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #29 on: 10 October 2017, 06:57:06 am »
IMO, a patent that needs a thread lock to stay in place is not well engineered.
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.