Date: 19-04-24  Time: 05:55 am

Author Topic: UK Motorcycle Scrap Yards?  (Read 4786 times)

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Re: UK Motorcycle Scrap Yards?
« Reply #25 on: 25 September 2017, 10:52:12 pm »
I remember climbing up to a scrapped Allegro to take off a door handle. Breaking it. Quietly checking nobody had noticed, and moving on to the next scrapped Allegro. Those were the days :-)

I've owned 2  Allegro's and the one thing that pleases me is the thought that the majority of them have been scraped many years ago.  I too spent many weekends at the scrappies trying to keep my heap of junk going.

There used to be a couple of bike breakers where they had bikes lined up ready for breaking.  I even bought a few to put back on the road but all those places are long gone. Best places are forums or flea Bay.

Ahh! The good old Austin All Aggro, I owned only one of them, not quite sure how anyone managed to own two of them?
Mine was the colour of baby shit, that nasty fawny beigey colour.
« Last Edit: 25 September 2017, 10:53:03 pm by tommyardin »

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 25 September 2017, 11:55:21 pm »
Ahh! The good old Austin All Aggro, I owned only one of them, not quite sure how anyone managed to own two of them?
Mine was the darker chocolate proper shit brown
Terry replied he hasn't got any in stock, the guy replied funny that cos mine are only 15 quid when I don't have any in stock.
Tommy, that joke is as old as the hills :-)

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 26 September 2017, 10:24:21 am »
Mine was the darker chocolate proper shit brown
Terry replied he hasn't got any in stock, the guy replied funny that cos mine are only 15 quid when I don't have any in stock.
Tommy, that joke is as old as the hills :-)

I know, but so am I. He he.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #28 on: 26 September 2017, 10:48:31 am »
I had all sorts of fun and games with my allegro.
The clutch release bearing needed changing. Trouble was Austin had changed the size and it needed a different release arm. Guess what - Austin had the new bearing but new release arms and no old bearings.

Trip to the scrap yard was needed pulling apart several allagros until I found the right part.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 26 September 2017, 11:46:08 am »
My AllAgro had the 1275 A series engine, notorious for leaking exhaust valve seals. All well until you went downhill and the oil sloshed to the front of the engine and entered the cylinders. Plumes of smoke from the exhaust, which ended as soon as you got back on the flat :-)

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
  • riding till i die (or breakdown)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fazer stolen - gsx1100 rebuild
    • View Profile
    • disorderly punks motovlog
« Reply #30 on: 26 September 2017, 02:31:59 pm »
aah the old rubber oil seals have turned into plastic problem
thank god for the A series easy pull apart ability (cant count how many we have rebuilt)
just done same thing to pug 205 rallye, exact same problem with hardened valve stem seals
we found running stop leak can sometimes rejuvinate the rubber if not to far gone but not the best solution
classic engines easy - have flat out refused to do my mates bmw head gasket, to much work to be fun

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 26 September 2017, 08:40:11 pm »

To be fair my first All Aggro only cost me £50 with a years MOT on it. It was baby shit brown too. It only lasted about six weeks before it blew up. Went well though. 1750 sport (with square steering wheel...)

As I needed a car rather urgently I ended up buying another one as the Capri I was eyeing up had been sold 10 minutes before I got there. This time I had bought the Vanden Plas 1500 version! Oooh very posh  :rollin  It was actually a nice car. Broke down just about every week for the year I owned it. Drove me crazy with all the things that went wrong with it.

This was the last time it broke down on me. In the friggin middle of no-where with an hours walk to the nearest house with a telephone. I had it repaired and I took it straight to the auctions and got rid!

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 26 September 2017, 11:04:04 pm »
To be fair, apart from the downhill smokescreen, my Allegro Estate was quite reliable. Got me and the kids down to Cornwall and back a couple of times. Oh, apart from when the tailgate door handle fell off, door opened, and all my supermarket shopping ended up in the road

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 26 September 2017, 11:33:06 pm »
well OCT 554N must have been crushed as its details are no longer available with dvla
-would have gone picture hunting in the allegro owners club archives if it was still on the road

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 26 September 2017, 11:47:56 pm »

To be fair my first All Aggro only cost me £50 with a years MOT on it. It was baby shit brown too. It only lasted about six weeks before it blew up. Went well though. 1750 sport (with square steering wheel...)

As I needed a car rather urgently I ended up buying another one as the Capri I was eyeing up had been sold 10 minutes before I got there. This time I had bought the Vanden Plas 1500 version! Oooh very posh  :rollin  It was actually a nice car. Broke down just about every week for the year I owned it. Drove me crazy with all the things that went wrong with it.

This was the last time it broke down on me. In the friggin middle of no-where with an hours walk to the nearest house with a telephone. I had it repaired and I took it straight to the auctions and got rid!

Ha ha ha!
Love the picture, I had a Morris Miner van years ago, it was my mobile tool shed when I was working away from home in a place call Shepton Mallet near Glastonbury. One Friday as I was coming home the exact same thing happened on a left hand turn (Junction) I was was only doing about 3 or 4 MPH just pulling away, one of the other guys from the site was following me so we loaded all my stuff into his van, ripped the number plates off the old Moggy thou and drove away and left it on the junction. I don't think I will hear anything about it now as that was in 1977.       
« Last Edit: 26 September 2017, 11:49:05 pm by tommyardin »

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 27 September 2017, 05:26:02 am »
well OCT 554N must have been crushed as its details are no longer available with dvla
-would have gone picture hunting in the allegro owners club archives if it was still on the road

It was GCT554N - I can't imagine that it would still be around but you never know, some fool might have kept it going.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 27 September 2017, 10:17:20 am »
Still better than a Morris Marina though.....

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 27 September 2017, 11:06:02 am »
The Morris Minor & Marina had grease nipples fitted to the upper & lower ball joints which if neglected resulted in the collapsed wheel syndrome. Presume the Allegro was the same?
And they wonder why the British car industry ended up like it did!!!

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 27 September 2017, 02:59:24 pm »
I had a Marina too.  The Coupe version I'll have you know!
The All Aggro had a broken stub axle. As I know virtually nothing about cars this may be the same part where the grease nipples are.

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 27 September 2017, 04:00:00 pm »
ahh was hard to read with that lowered stance lol
GCT554N was taken off the road in 1988 by the looks of it

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 27 September 2017, 06:15:33 pm »
ahh was hard to read with that lowered stance lol
GCT554N was taken off the road in 1988 by the looks of it

Yeah the lowering kit didn't work  ;)

Didn't last for long after I sold it then. The old memory banks are failing me but I think I sold it in 1987.