Date: 17-04-24  Time: 00:24 am

Author Topic: Rust on fazer 98, is it a problem?  (Read 4655 times)

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: Rust on fazer 98, is it a problem?
« Reply #25 on: 23 September 2017, 08:48:43 pm »
Walk away.

I had a similar issue when I bought mine and the exhaust studs made it a right pain in the arse job.

My Fazer currently has very good condition exhaust studs. Is there anything I can do to prevent future problems? I'm going to take all the nuts off one by one and slap some copperslip on but is it worthwhile replacing all the studs with stainless steel ones?

rob

It's probably not worth trying to get the studs out as you risk a chance of them snapping.  As long as the nuts come off easily enough then removing them and applying a bit of copper grease to the studs once a year will be enough to keep things in good knick

rlkat

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Honda Transalp
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 23 September 2017, 09:32:47 pm »
Walk away.

I had a similar issue when I bought mine and the exhaust studs made it a right pain in the arse job.

My Fazer currently has very good condition exhaust studs. Is there anything I can do to prevent future problems? I'm going to take all the nuts off one by one and slap some copperslip on but is it worthwhile replacing all the studs with stainless steel ones?

rob

It's probably not worth trying to get the studs out as you risk a chance of them snapping.  As long as the nuts come off easily enough then removing them and applying a bit of copper grease to the studs once a year will be enough to keep things in good knick

Cheers, Dude.  :thumbup

caretaker

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - TL125 frame!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 25 September 2017, 04:41:40 pm »
whereabouts are you woody? and are you in a rush to get a bike? i have one which needs a new mot and some work which will be sold soon ish.