Date: 28-03-24  Time: 11:42 am

Author Topic: Pushing your bike.  (Read 5604 times)

dangerousdave

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Pushing your bike.
« on: 18 September 2017, 02:08:47 pm »
Quick question.

Do you need to wear or at least have a helmet with you when pushing your bike on the road?

Dave...

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
Re: Pushing your bike.
« Reply #1 on: 18 September 2017, 02:35:39 pm »
Interesting question, no idea what the law is but no doubt there will be conflicting answers :)

andybesy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 September 2017, 03:26:54 pm »
I'd strap one to the bike. I don't know what the law says but judgement suggests if you end up discussing it with some authority it couldn't hurt.

I really wouldn't try and push it wearing one for any distance, I'd be hot and out of breath.

Andy

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 September 2017, 03:31:13 pm »
Not sure if its true but I was told that a bike (Motorcycle) has to have insurance to be pushed along a public highway and that it is illegal to push a motorcycle along a foot path.
But then I have heard guys say you can ride a motorcycle in a bus lane and other say you can not.
Anyway I always have found riding it is so much more fun and quicker than pushing it.  :lol

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #4 on: 18 September 2017, 03:35:56 pm »
lots of articles on google about pushing but nothing about a helmet!

eg:
https://www.pressreader.com/uk/ride-uk/20170111/281762743940863
It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!

andybesy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 September 2017, 03:49:24 pm »
Yes it does need to be road legal in all respects, and shouldn't be on the pavement, although I'd make a judgement on that one as I went, keeping safety in mind.

You might end up having a chat with someone but so long as it's all legit and you're not causing a problem I would expect them to be reasonable? Most likely just interested in checking it's not stolenn

Depends on your route I guess, not down big or busy roads I'd suggest!
Andy
« Last Edit: 18 September 2017, 03:50:10 pm by andybesy »

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: 18 September 2017, 03:52:41 pm »
If the bike has broken down then it is no longer a motor vehicle with regard moving it.
No helmet and no licence needed either.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 September 2017, 04:31:12 pm »
Was riding in London a couple of years ago and took a short cut I hadn't used for a while - turned out they'd blocked the exit. By chance plod was walking by and just asked if I was ok. I explained I used to get to the road on the other side of the now pavement years ago.

Plod told me if I got off, turned off the bike and pushed it across the pavement back onto the road the other side then I was legal. Did exactly that as he watched, said thanks and was on my way so I'd say yes you can push a bike along a pavement if it's not running. Maybe stick a lid on one of the mirrors as a safety net.
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #8 on: 18 September 2017, 05:22:23 pm »
The Motor Cycles (Protective Helmets) Regulations 1998

Protective headgear

4.—(1) Save as provided in paragraph (2), every person driving or riding (otherwise than in a side-car) on a motor bicycle when on a road shall wear protective headgear.

(2) Nothing in paragraph (1) shall apply to any person driving or riding on a motor bicycle if—

(a)it is a mowing machine; or

(b)it is for the time being propelled by a person on foot.

So if you're pushing it, no, you don't need to wear a helmet.
« Last Edit: 18 September 2017, 05:23:02 pm by Grahamm »

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #9 on: 18 September 2017, 05:32:35 pm »
The Motor Cycles (Protective Helmets) Regulations 1998

Protective headgear

4.—(1) Save as provided in paragraph (2), every person driving or riding (otherwise than in a side-car) on a motor bicycle when on a road shall wear protective headgear.

(2) Nothing in paragraph (1) shall apply to any person driving or riding on a motor bicycle if—

(a)it is a mowing machine; or

(b)it is for the time being propelled by a person on foot.

So if you're pushing it, no, you don't need to wear a helmet.

Just like you don't need to be wearing your seatbelt if your pushing the car and steering it with your arm through the window :pokefun

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18 September 2017, 06:18:42 pm »
 How far do you intend to push it?  If it’s any distance it’ll foccing kill you.

Back in 1999 I took the ferry to Skye on my brand new FZS600.  I spent some time on Skye then off tae Harris Lewis and ended up on Berneray fae a week.

So eventually I had tae head hame and get back tae work.  I had to get down the road as quickly and cheaply as possible.  That meant taking the new and controversial Skye bridge.  At the time, the private company that built the bridge charged a toll, and they were set to make a pretty penny out of that bridge.  There was a long campaign to scrap the charges, many demos and actions.  VNA being VNA had decided, that I would use the bridge and I would show solidarity with the good people of Skye.  My theory was, and the case I would put forward, is that I walked my bike across the bridge and that therefore there was no charge due.

So, as I remember it, I arrived at the roundabout for the bridge.  Took a left for the bridge, as I headed towards the bridge I cut the engine and coasted down the approach to the bridge.  I eventually ground to a halt.   As I suspected pushing the bike up the bridge loaded with luggage was neigh on impossible.  I fired the engine up, put it in first gear and walked the bike to the top of the bridge slipping the clutch.  Got to the top, jumped on and coasted towards the tolls.  I may have been a hundred yards or so short of the tolls when the bike rolled to a hault, and then I pushed (no engine) over onto the cycle path, past the toll booth (a friendly wave to the bemused toll staff) past the booths, then fired the bike up and rode off.

What I will say, it was a nice sunny summers day, and even walking the bike with the engine running was foccing hard work.  I was seriously focced with the effort.  I stopped at the petrol station in Kyle of Lochalsh and downed three cans of IRN BRU one after the other.

I waited patiently for my fine in anticipation of my planned defiant continued refusal to pay.  No charge or fine ever dropped through my door.

Did I have my helmet on as I walked and pushed – are you joking?  No I did not!

Waterhouse

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 18 September 2017, 06:22:38 pm »
Once a few years ago when I had an aprilia rs 125.  I got pulled over for speeding. Got sat in the back of there car. Good cop was saying that they wouldn't take any further action for speeding as they wasn't recording and was heading back to station. Bad cop turned out to be a trainee vehicle inspector and actually sat on the kerb at about 11pm with a folder a ruler and a torch. Measuring this that and whatever else.

Anyway long story short he gave me a prohibition notice for having a faulty front brake. ( him saying that the fluid level was below minimum although he checked it while leaning over on the side stand and not with the bike upright. ) anyway the prohibition notice didn't allow me to even ride my bike home. Only about 1 mile but up hill. So I had to push. He said I had to keep my helmet on as I had to push it on The road not the path.

They even bloody waited till I got half way up the hill to make sure I didn't jump on Or even start it up and walk at side in 1st gear.

They said that if I got bike sorted and re mot. And produced at station within 1 week that everything be fine. ( which I did )

Anyway 8 months later court summons thru post. 3 points £80 odd fine. Jobsworth.

Anyway sorry for blabbering on but pisses  me off. But that's what I was made to do. Weather it's law or not I don't know probably him just being pissed of they couldn't get me for speeding.

Grayo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Another ex Fazer owner still hanging around.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18 September 2017, 06:30:08 pm »

But then I have heard guys say you can ride a motorcycle in a bus lane and other say you can not.

You can only ride in certain bus lanes, not all of them. The bus lane has to have a sign indicating that motorcycles are allowed otherwise expect to receive a nip.
I could change my opinion, but then we'd both be wrong.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 18 September 2017, 06:34:37 pm »
Once a few years ago when I had an aprilia rs 125.  I got pulled over for speeding. Got sat in the back of there car. Good cop was saying that they wouldn't take any further action for speeding as they wasn't recording and was heading back to station. Bad cop turned out to be a trainee vehicle inspector and actually sat on the kerb at about 11pm with a folder a ruler and a torch. Measuring this that and whatever else.

Anyway long story short he gave me a prohibition notice for having a faulty front brake. ( him saying that the fluid level was below minimum although he checked it while leaning over on the side stand and not with the bike upright. ) anyway the prohibition notice didn't allow me to even ride my bike home. Only about 1 mile but up hill. So I had to push. He said I had to keep my helmet on as I had to push it on The road not the path.

They even bloody waited till I got half way up the hill to make sure I didn't jump on Or even start it up and walk at side in 1st gear.

They said that if I got bike sorted and re mot. And produced at station within 1 week that everything be fine. ( which I did )

Anyway 8 months later court summons thru post. 3 points £80 odd fine. Jobsworth.

Anyway sorry for blabbering on but pisses  me off. But that's what I was made to do. Weather it's law or not I don't know probably him just being pissed of they couldn't get me for speeding.

That just sounds like some vindictive prick, tantamount to bullying.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 18 September 2017, 06:49:52 pm »

If the bike has broken down then it is no longer a motor vehicle with regard moving it.
Not sure on that one BB
You get caught with your car in a car park with the keys in your pocket and your pissed you will still be done for being under in influence in charge on a motor vehicle. If you have the keys you are in charge of the car, it is the same offence as driving whilst pissed. The assumption is that you would drive the car because you have the keys. People when they are pissed out of their brains think they are fine to drive and do.

Anyway that is my understanding, Happy to be corrected.

Just found this police website
 https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q678.htm

I would imagine you are still in charge of a motor cycle if you have the keys with you. if it is on the road it has to be taxed and insured with a current MOT, same as have a vehicle parked outside you house on the road must be legal.
« Last Edit: 18 September 2017, 06:54:07 pm by tommyardin »

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 19 September 2017, 02:45:12 am »
All the times I've pushed a motorbike any cops who stopped never mentioned my not wearing helmet, including the time I was pushing it on the hard shoulder
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 19 September 2017, 09:24:00 am »

I remember my GPz305 breaking down on the M3 one night many years ago.
Initially I thought I’d run out of fuel so as it was only half a mile to my usual exit I pushed it.
Foc me that was hard work! :eek
The helmet had to stay on as there was nowhere secure to put it and I was saturated with sweat within 100 yards. I thought I was going to have a heart attack by the time I’d got it all the way up the off-ramp.
Once off the motorway I investigated and found the real problem was total lack of sparks… pushed it another 1/4 mile to the Crown and Cushion, parked up and got a taxi the rest of the way home.
Next morning I dismantled it and shipped it home it in the back of my Fiat 127. :lol

Anyway, hats off to Zarko at San Marino, that was a hard earned point!

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 19 September 2017, 09:54:33 am »

Foc me that was hard work! :eek

I bet Zarko was thinking exactly the same!

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 19 September 2017, 11:28:12 am »

Not sure on that one BB
You get caught with your car in a car park with the keys in your pocket and your pissed you will still be done for being under in influence in charge on a motor vehicle. If you have the keys you are in charge of the car, it is the same offence as driving whilst pissed. The assumption is that you would drive the car because you have the keys. People when they are pissed out of their brains think they are fine to drive and do.

Anyway that is my understanding, Happy to be corrected.

Just found this police website
 https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q678.htm

I would imagine you are still in charge of a motor cycle if you have the keys with you. if it is on the road it has to be taxed and insured with a current MOT, same as have a vehicle parked outside you house on the road must be legal.

I'd argue about it needing mot and insurance to be pushed along the road. especially as a non runner.
Pushing Superdream400 for a few+ miles fully kitted in waterproofs results in weight loss and an appreciation of petrol station conveniences. Helmet or no helmet  ;) 
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #19 on: 19 September 2017, 12:09:15 pm »
I'd argue about it needing mot and insurance to be pushed along the road. especially as a non runner.
Pushing Superdream400 for a few+ miles fully kitted in waterproofs results in weight loss and an appreciation of petrol station conveniences. Helmet or no helmet  ;) 

When I was 14/15 I used to push my bike through the village (when I knew the local beat bobby was about) with the spark plug cap removed. As a disabled motor vehicle, I didn't need a licence, helmet or insurance (plods words not mine).
Out of fuel or broken down means it wont start too so same rule applies.

F4celess

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 19 September 2017, 01:48:39 pm »

You can only ride in certain bus lanes, not all of them. The bus lane has to have a sign indicating that motorcycles are allowed otherwise expect to receive a nip.

Plus to make it even more confusing, you can ride in some bus lanes only during certain hours of the day - usually outside "rush hours").
The exact time permitted is printed on the Road sign, at the start of the bus lane.

Kamikaze

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 19 September 2017, 02:08:50 pm »
I've pushed a deauville 4 miles on a shredded rear tyre up hill in the countryside once. also, pushed the fazer 2 miles up hill when i accidentally disconnected part of the wiring loom going over a bump and didnt know at the time.

as plenty have said,you dont need a helmet to push it. thats not only dumb but dangerous.
best of luck to any plod who thinks otherwise. nice easy claim there if they try arrest you or take you to court.

as also mentioned. traffic laws apply to MPV's (mechanically propelled vehicles) if its not capable of being mechanically propelled, then its not an MPV and no requirements are on you to have your shit in order.
we have the same rules here in ireland for the most part. even heard of convictions of a guy who was sleeping in the back seat of his car and he was found guilty of being drunk and in charge with intent to drive (the intent to drive is in our law, not sure about the uk, if you had no intent to drive with proof youd be okay to, like parked at an airport carpark with your flight the next morning etc.) as he had said he didnt intend to drive till morning.

pull the coils off and you're safe.

dangerousdave

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 20 September 2017, 11:31:55 am »
The Fazer is leaking fuel from the carbs and I did not want to ride it along to my mechanic friend's house and risk fuel on a hot exhaust!

Therefore I did wear my helmet while pushing it about a mile (front flipped up), but got my 24 year old son to push it with me.
The bike is insured and fully legal.
Never saw any police, :bobby  but did not want to take any risk of falling foul of the law, your honour!  :stop

Turns out I have sticking float needles on carbs 3 and 4 causing the leak!  :'(

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 20 September 2017, 05:51:07 pm »
Oh the other year I retreived my 1974 C90 from my late father's garage.
Blew the tyres up.  Sat on it and freewheeled the downhill bits and pushed it the rest.
Didn't think for one minute think of wearing a hat.  No MOT, no tax or insurance but nor was it capable of starting, all back streets, though one gets a fair bit of traffic.  Pushing a C90 ain't too bad either.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 20 September 2017, 09:52:43 pm »
Take all the plug leads off a car, drain the fuel out, jack it up and take a wheel off it so it can not be driven and leave in in the road with no tax, insurance or MOT and see how long it is before you get a police warning of prosecution.
Hence the need for a Sorn statement if your not going to tax a car or motor vehicle of any type.

If it has a Sorn statement it cannot be kept on the public highway.

My understanding is also if you own a vehicle it must have a valid insurance policy even if it is kept on private land

see the link to the Citizens Advice website below

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/insurance/insurance/types-of-insurance/vehicle-insurance/when-you-don-t-need-vehicle-insurance/