Date: 16-04-24  Time: 14:24 pm

Author Topic: Track days  (Read 2588 times)

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Track days
« on: 17 September 2017, 08:49:03 pm »
Am I a tight git or are they a little expensive, I would love to do one but they cost so much. I am not interested in the "valuable Learn how to handle a bike properly with an instructor" - I just want to rag it round a track with a soothe surface without worrying about cameras or any other stuff to expect on a normal road. Which sounds like the Nuremburgring but It might rain between here and there and I will have to go home. 
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Track days
« Reply #1 on: 17 September 2017, 11:37:03 pm »
have a look on groupon lol you might get a good deal. I'm also not a fan of the "valuable learn how to handle . . . " either. I'm old school if I want to use the back brake i'll use it. Apparently it's all about front braking with these guys.
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 September 2017, 06:29:53 am »
Track riding is awesome.
There are some cheaper half days that crop up too
I did oulton park and was hooked. Did two ton Haslam at donnington and now race the tracks, it's addictive, and the Fz1s is an amazing track bike, I am the only one racing one  in  England I think.
Get out there, it's anazing
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 September 2017, 07:40:33 am »
Track riding is awesome.
There are some cheaper half days that crop up too
I did oulton park and was hooked. Did two ton Haslam at donnington and now race the tracks, it's addictive, and the Fz1s is an amazing track bike, I am the only one racing one  in  England I think.
Get out there, it's anazing

Bit rude calling Ron fat  :rollin :rollin :rollin

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 September 2017, 10:03:41 am »
Bought my eldest son a Ron Haslam day at Donnington for his 21st his first couple of laps with the instructor just following the group, his last couple of  laps were 25 seconds faster then the first 2, he was a fairly quick road rider before the day but says he learnt more in that 1 day course than he had in the last 4 years he had been riding.   

Mustang

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 September 2017, 08:05:19 pm »
If you want a cheap trackday try 1/2 day at Darley Moor, £60.
Or try the Airfield Riding Days like RAF Odiham or Shawbury. I've done Waddington, Benson and Shawbury.
Or turn up on the day at regular days and at lunchtime ask if you can book on for the afternoon session. There's usually several who have gone home cos they have binned it so you could do 3 sessions at Donington for £70 or so. I've just done a full MSV day there for £100 as someone was selling there place cheap. FZ1N it was great round there.
« Last Edit: 18 September 2017, 08:06:41 pm by Mustang »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 September 2017, 08:37:47 pm »
Those airfield ones sound interesting, do they lay out some sort of a track with cones or somthing

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 September 2017, 08:51:02 pm »
Getting a bit late in the year for it now but keep your eye out for evening or late sessions. I know at cadwell they can get as low as £35 for a session at 7/8pm

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 September 2017, 09:39:24 pm »
Do it. Youll love it. I ragged my Fz6 fazer around donington 3 times this last year. Prior to that, I did the Ron Haslam Race school twice. Price varies for trackdays through the year. Less expensive in spring/early summer/autumn, evening sessions tend to be summer nights only, and youll probably get only 3 sessions in. A full trackday a\t Donny is 7 sessions, and belive me youll be knackered. At one day, i decided to miss the last session cos I could barely shove the bike of its stand. I only do the Road Bike Only days, to avoid the racers etc on slicks/race bikes. No Limits is well organised with marshalls/medics.
« Last Edit: 18 September 2017, 09:40:26 pm by agricola »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 September 2017, 09:54:42 pm »
Summer evening sessions sound perfect

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18 September 2017, 10:00:42 pm »
I just had a quick look and at this time of year you can get a full novice track day for £65 on an open pit day at cadwell

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 September 2017, 07:38:32 pm »
Evening Mr Sharp, if you can get the Kent I fully recommend the Kent Fire Bike's Ride Skills Day at Brands Hatch.  It's running off the back of the Biker Down course organised by Kent and now many Fire teams.

£55 for a day of training (slow speed control, first aid, inc safe helmet removal, advanced riding techniques and an assessed 1 on 1 ride out with an AIM instructor AND 2 X 20 mins round Brands Hatch.

Check out your local Biker Down team, they might do rideskills at other tracks around the country.
Money doesn't buy happiness, but it buys beer, and that helps!

Mustang

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 September 2017, 09:46:33 pm »
I just had a quick look and at this time of year you can get a full novice track day for £65 on an open pit day at cadwell

Open pit lane days are not for novices

Mustang

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19 September 2017, 09:50:49 pm »
Those airfield ones sound interesting, do they lay out some sort of a track with cones or somthing

Yes they cone it out, cN be a bit hard to follow as its flat as. But you can nearly max your bike out on the main runway.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 19 September 2017, 09:52:55 pm »
Evening Mr Sharp, if you can get the Kent I fully recommend the Kent Fire Bike's Ride Skills Day at Brands Hatch.  It's running off the back of the Biker Down course organised by Kent and now many Fire teams.

£55 for a day of training (slow speed control, first aid, inc safe helmet removal, advanced riding techniques and an assessed 1 on 1 ride out with an AIM instructor AND 2 X 20 mins round Brands Hatch.

Check out your local Biker Down team, they might do rideskills at other tracks around the country.
now that sounds a good mix

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 19 September 2017, 09:54:06 pm »

Whats that then

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 20 September 2017, 07:10:01 am »

My mistake it was for a general bike track day. There's options to book either novice intermediate or fast
« Last Edit: 20 September 2017, 07:13:02 am by Dudeofrude »

ptolemyx

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Busa
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 23 September 2017, 10:40:54 am »
If you're in an appropriate area join South West Bikers. We do a fair few track days and about the best introduction is to join us at Llandow, though our next group event there will be next June - £65 for the day.

http://www.southwestbikers.com/viewtopic.php?f=103&t=98201
when in doubt go flat out