Date: 29-03-24  Time: 12:09 pm

Author Topic: Time for a Change - MT-09  (Read 2953 times)

tony_d123

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Time for a Change - MT-09
« on: 17 September 2017, 09:28:55 am »
After 8 years of FZ1s ownership (and FZS600 before that) I decided that it was time for a change. The FZ1 has taken me all over Europe and has been a brilliant bike, which is why I have hung on to it so long, but I took a test ride on an MT-09 and was hooked!
The MT is a revelation to ride, enough power, light and handling is in a different league. Definitely puts a smile on my face.
« Last Edit: 17 September 2017, 09:29:52 am by tony_d123 »

celticbiker

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
Re: Time for a Change - MT-09
« Reply #1 on: 17 September 2017, 12:31:09 pm »
I had been riding tdm900's for 15 yrs and when thinking of a replacement I test rode the MT. The engine is a dream but like all yams the suspension is seriously lacking,  first job would have been to replace the rear shock cos it's way too soft and under damped and resprung and re valves the front.
When I walked into the dealers to buy one the fazer 8 was sat there and I couldn't resist it and as it was 2000 gbp cheaper than the MT that covered the cost of upgrading the suspension on it.
(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste
(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help
(")-(") him gain world domination!

tony_d123

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 September 2017, 05:28:47 pm »
Was that a 2016 model? They have upgraded the front and rear suspension on the new one and I can't fault it.

celticbiker

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 September 2017, 06:33:59 pm »
Yes, early 2016.
(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste
(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help
(")-(") him gain world domination!

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 September 2017, 06:10:23 am »
Although there have been various reports of the suspension on the MT07/09 bikes not being up to the job you have to factor in "gross" ie all up fully kitted out weight of rider. I  ride the bog standard MT07 Tracer which,at time of purchase(October 2016) had to be one of the best value for money bikes out there @ £6199 OTR. I weigh in @ 75kilos being "old school" pre MacDonalds/Fast Food dietary habits & guess that the standard suspension will see me ok for the foreseeable future-ie normal riding but would factor in cost of suspension upgrade as part of long term ownership.
The engine characteristics of the 270 degree crank twins & triples are very different to the short stroke high revving in line 4 cylinder Fazers but the MT07/9 series provide a very nice combination of torque from low down into the midrange coupled with the ability to get moving quite briskly when exploiting the 5000 upwards rev range & full use of gearbox. Its not a manic machine but can cover ground fast & (importantly for me as an old timer) in comfort.
Hope you get as much pleasure from your new bike as I have.

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #5 on: 18 September 2017, 06:22:50 am »
I had been riding tdm900's for 15 yrs and when thinking of a replacement I test rode the MT. The engine is a dream but like all yams the suspension is seriously lacking,  first job would have been to replace the rear shock cos it's way too soft and under damped and resprung and re valves the front.

Riding on poor and bumpy roads around my city - suspension that is too soft and feels wobbly on the track and good roads, often feels just right - unless the front end dives too much, too quickly.
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

tony_d123

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 September 2017, 08:16:29 pm »
Although there have been various reports of the suspension on the MT07/09 bikes not being up to the job you have to factor in "gross" ie all up fully kitted out weight of rider.
Very true, most Japanese bikes are designed for a 5'9" 11 stone test rider, which just happens to be what I am, so I rarely have to alter suspension that much :)
The earlier MT's had test reports of basic suspension (understandable considering the price) but still probably far more adjustment than most people will ever use in real world riding, unless they are Valentino Rossi. I am sure that most lighter/heavier people who complain about poor suspension, simply don't have it set up to suit them. But then again, I ride Kawasaki triples so anything post 1978 feels good :rollin
« Last Edit: 18 September 2017, 08:18:53 pm by tony_d123 »

F4celess

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 September 2017, 03:15:18 pm »
tony_d123 ... BEAUTIFUL machine, congratulations.  :thumbup

Think it's a case of being content only with what you are familiar with / what you know.
Then, you went out and tried something NEW (not forgetting the MT-09 is almost 15 years NEWER than a FZS600), and you've seen the light. lol.

I've watched a lot of youtube videos of owners on their MT-09 / MT-07's, Reviews etc, lovely looking machines, plus the power to go with it.
I'd seriously consider going the same direction if I parted with my FZS 600.

dangerousdave

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 September 2017, 02:33:55 pm »
I wondered if anyone has tried both the MT-10 and the MT-09 and could give a comparison of the 2.[/size]I know the MT-09 is a triple and the MT-10 a four, but wondered about the performance and handling differences as the MT-09 is substantially cheaper.

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #9 on: 21 September 2017, 03:00:09 pm »

Think it's a case of being content only with what you are familiar with / what you know.
Then, you went out and tried something NEW (not forgetting the MT-09 is almost 15 years NEWER than a FZS600), and you've seen the light. lol.

I've watched a lot of youtube videos of owners on their MT-09 / MT-07's, Reviews etc, lovely looking machines, plus the power to go with it.
I'd seriously consider going the same direction if I parted with my FZS 600.

IMO, the "spiritual" successor of the FZS600 is the Kawasaky Versys 650 - especially the new one with the not-too-ugly headlights.
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

F4celess

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 September 2017, 03:42:48 pm »

IMO, the "spiritual" successor of the FZS600 is the Kawasaky Versys 650 - especially the new one with the not-too-ugly headlights.

There's a motovlogger who was debating what to go for after his boxeye fazer, he felt he'd outgrown it (for long distance). "Andy Man Cam". Perhaps he's on here?
Well he went for the Versys. Now has a handful of vids around Europe on it.

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21 September 2017, 07:12:07 pm »
I've been looking for a fazer 600 replacement for the last 4 months but can't make my mind up about anything yet. One of the factors for me is the relatively low seat height of the fzs600 at 790mm. Wouldn't want anything much bigger for my short legs. TBH when I get something new I'll probably still keep the  :faz . That'll really wind up her indoors.
« Last Edit: 21 September 2017, 07:14:54 pm by celticdog »
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

tony_d123

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22 September 2017, 06:12:06 pm »

Thank you :)

Think it's a case of being content only with what you are familiar with / what you know.Then, you went out and tried something NEW (not forgetting the MT-09 is almost 15 years NEWER than a FZS600), and you've seen the light. lol.

It was an FZ1 that I traded in, so not that much of a culture shock.
I traded the FZS600 for a new FZ1 in 2009 and remember thinking that I had made a mistake while I was riding it home. A week later I loved it but I rarely used all the power, you would be doing very silly speeds! I was sad to see it go though, awesome bike.

the lodger

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 22 September 2017, 08:15:05 pm »
Hello Tony

Small world !

I had a test ride on an XSR 700 and couldn't find anything not to like but couldnt justify spending the money on it so I bought a FZS600 , which I really like and saved myself £5k . These are moving into classic status now but still modern enough for my purposes.

I'm sure I would love your MT09 .

Cheers

Nigel

tony_d123

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24 September 2017, 03:41:16 pm »
Hi Nigel, FZS is a cracking bike and I would still have one in my garage now if I had room! The tricky bit now is finding a nice early unmolested example. You will enjoy it :)