Date: 29-03-24  Time: 13:50 pm

Author Topic: Renthal bars blimey !!  (Read 3812 times)

cl1ve2004

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - vstrom 650 al8
    • View Profile
Renthal bars blimey !!
« on: 14 September 2017, 03:51:25 pm »
Fitted a set this week and just been for a spin in the pouring rain..what a difference, can't believe my shoulders didn't ache nor my neck even gave me more confidence cornering in the pouring rain..best riding position bar none shoulda done it as soon as I bought the bike  :lol

Kenbob

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Renthal bars blimey !!
« Reply #1 on: 14 September 2017, 04:08:52 pm »
Aye!

Hamisato

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 September 2017, 06:18:06 am »
It's a good thing I'm going to do it.

Dustydes

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fzr1000 exup street fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 September 2017, 02:55:33 pm »
Yep  :thumbup

teecee90

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 September 2017, 07:55:11 pm »
Damn, must get on and do mine....
FZS 1000 Gen1 (2003)
Tiger 900 GT Pro (2020)

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 September 2017, 10:14:56 pm »
I put some on and did not like them, I seem more comfortable leant forward, takes more weight off my spine, sat up really je4ks a bad back. I have now turned my bars upside down and race the bike, really comfortable and feels safe
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

Dustydes

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fzr1000 exup street fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 September 2017, 07:03:16 am »

I put some on and did not like them, I seem more comfortable leant forward, takes more weight off my spine, sat up really je4ks a bad back. I have now turned my bars upside down and race the bike, really comfortable and feels safe

Jack up back 25mm drop forks through yokes 12mm. Sit with weight forward more into tank and turns so much nicer and still holds a straight line. If you don't like put back. simples :-)

Andy W

• Weekend Warrior
  • www.thesundogs.uk Rockin' rollin' rhythm & roots
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
    • The Sundogs - rockin' rollin' rhythm & roots!
« Reply #7 on: 22 September 2017, 06:49:22 pm »
Fitted a set this week and just been for a spin in the pouring rain..what a difference, can't believe my shoulders didn't ache nor my neck even gave me more confidence cornering in the pouring rain..best riding position bar none shoulda done it as soon as I bought the bike  :lol

:thumbup +1...wouldn't be without mine!

F4celess

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 September 2017, 10:20:09 pm »

Which version Renthals did you go for? (ie: flat / low / medium / streetfighter, etc?)

I'm planning to switch to these on my bike also - imagine it'll change my position to be more leaned forward, to reach them (due to less sweep and rise, compared to standard bars).

cl1ve2004

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - vstrom 650 al8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 September 2017, 09:00:43 am »
I checked this and other forums and went with 758's...bought them on here for £30 incl pnp..like new.

cut 20 mm off each end with angle grinder,drilled the hole for leftside switchgear.. piece of cake :lol

ptolemyx

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Busa
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 September 2017, 10:33:41 am »
Glad to be of service mate and chuffed you're happy with the bars  :)
when in doubt go flat out

F4celess

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 September 2017, 10:45:51 am »
I checked this and other forums and went with 758's...bought them on here for £30 incl pnp..like new.

cut 20 mm off each end with angle grinder,drilled the hole for leftside switchgear.. piece of cake :lol

Great work! So just a matter of unscrewing all the switch gear and drilling the hole on the new bars. Must have taken some test fitting on and off and repeat, to know where everything is fitting to the new bars?

The throttle, do you remove the grip and its held on with a securing screw?

cl1ve2004

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - vstrom 650 al8
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 September 2017, 10:59:54 am »
 prior to drilling assembled switchgear and new Renthal grips.This gave me best position then mark where hole goes ..drill

5mm(I think !!) Throttle tube slides over bars easily and removal/reassembly is straightforward too

:) 

cl1ve2004

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - vstrom 650 al8
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23 September 2017, 11:03:35 am »
P.S big thank you to Brian for the bars truly like new !! :D

F4celess

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12 October 2017, 01:12:59 pm »
Mine arrived yesterday. 758 also = "Ultra Low".
I don't think these are a lot different to the "Streetfighter" version, quite a close match, just don't have the Brace over the top (which is cosmetic only - adds no additional strength).

Will also be "cutting off" the ends - don't want to lose the ability to filter swiftly through traffic!...  :nana

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 12 October 2017, 03:09:17 pm »
The switch units clamp up tight enough on the bars if you nip the locating lug off. This is my preference as it can take several attempts to find the ideal position for the bars let alone the switchgear. If the units are too loose for your liking with the lug removed you can always wrap a bit of tape round the bars, tighten the switch units up and trim the tape off the sides, though I've not had to do this.

I personally like the wider bars, for me they make the bike feel more imposing and significantly improve counter-steering. I can't see any benefit to making them shorter I suspect your knees and elbows would be the limiting factor in filtering through traffic rather than the bars, but I'm a lanky git so YMMV.

F4celess

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 13 October 2017, 08:20:47 am »
The switch units clamp up tight enough on the bars if you nip the locating lug off. This is my preference as it can take several attempts to find the ideal position for the bars let alone the switchgear. If the units are too loose for your liking with the lug removed you can always wrap a bit of tape round the bars, tighten the switch units up and trim the tape off the sides, though I've not had to do this.

I personally like the wider bars, for me they make the bike feel more imposing and significantly improve counter-steering. I can't see any benefit to making them shorter I suspect your knees and elbows would be the limiting factor in filtering through traffic rather than the bars, but I'm a lanky git so YMMV.

Sounds promising. :)  Measuring the width of my stock Yamaha bars plus bar ends fitted, 700mm. These Renthals are only about 5cm wider.
Plus they are supposed to offer much better vibration damping, so I wont cut them down, will slide the Renthal grips straight on.

Do your wider bars catch the tank however, at full lock?

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 13 October 2017, 09:45:55 am »
Sounds promising. :)  Measuring the width of my stock Yamaha bars plus bar ends fitted, 700mm. These Renthals are only about 5cm wider.
Plus they are supposed to offer much better vibration damping, so I wont cut them down, will slide the Renthal grips straight on.

Do your wider bars catch the tank however, at full lock?
If you want better vibration dampening I cant recommend getting the bars tapped out for the OEM bar ends enough, someone did suggest rolling up a strip of roofing lead and gluing these inside the bars if you didn't want to keep the OEM ends. From personal experience lightweight aftermarket bar ends make the vibrations through the bars a heck of a lot worse, although you can get used to this over time.

I have the GYT-R bar risers which are lower than the OEM risers so will bring the bars closer to the tank, with the bars properly adjusted the switchgear blocks are about 4" away from the tank at full lock so not an issue and less so if you have the taller OEM bar risers. Happy to take photo's if they would be useful.
« Last Edit: 13 October 2017, 09:47:16 am by PieEater »