Date: 28-03-24  Time: 23:21 pm

Author Topic: Over wintering my FZS 600  (Read 8231 times)

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
Re: Over wintering my FZS 600
« Reply #25 on: 03 October 2017, 05:29:41 am »
Get yourself a cheap hack to ride through 'winter'

I went to a popular bikers cafe on the 2nd of January a couple of years ago as it was an absolutely glorious day. We were the only bikers actually on bikes and there were a fair few who were envious cos there bike was tucked up in the shed.
I'm not suggesting to ride through snow and storms etc but there's plenty of good days.

Get trawling ebay and gumtree for a cheap bike to keep those winter blues at bay.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 03 October 2017, 06:53:08 am »
Get yourself a cheap hack to ride through 'winter'

I went to a popular bikers cafe on the 2nd of January a couple of years ago as it was an absolutely glorious day. We were the only bikers actually on bikes and there were a fair few who were envious cos there bike was tucked up in the shed.
I'm not suggesting to ride through snow and storms etc but there's plenty of good days.

Get trawling ebay and gumtree for a cheap bike to keep those winter blues at bay.

These days snow/ice are the only elements i refuse to ride in, although even that didn't stop me years ago.
The main roads tend to be looked after very well, but the road i live on only gets 2 or 3 hours of direct sun on it before it starts getting dark so if the temperature stays low then the ice just stays put until it warms up again.
Fortunately i have a colleague who lives a few roads away and he gives me a lift whenever necessary as he works the same hours. 
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 03 October 2017, 08:32:11 am »
When I was much younger, more years ago than I care to remember, I had no choice but to ride all year round and yes I often rode in conditions that I would not entertain nowadays. The ONLY time I wouldnt ride back then was when there was ice on the road(black or otherwise). Have come off pushbikes with no warning whatsoever and have experienced some "interesting" moments on 4 wheels on the dreaded black stuff :eek
Was debating whether to retax the Tracer at the end of this month but have decided to keep it taxed and use every opportunity to ride this winter and will only tuck it up if we get some particularly nasty conditions. Have got my GT85 & ACF 50 at the ready! :lol

Anquetil

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600 2003, FZS 600 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 03 October 2017, 09:17:49 am »
I ride all the year round by choice. Living in North Wales I avoid many of the holiday areas in the summer. Too many caravans, camper vans, and heavy traffic in general. I tend to go Cheshire, Derbyshire, Shropshire, Staffordshire for quieter outings. Once the autumn is here, and throughout the winter, I ride the roads of North Wales, and Ceredigion, which are virtually empty. ACF 50 is my friend during this period, along with appropriate warm clothing. As I am an old git,(66), and with the health problems that I have, I take the view that I can't afford to sit around for 6 months not doing what I love, as I don't know how long I will be able to continue riding or, indeed, be still on this earth. This morning I am off for a ride to Llanberis. At the weekend to Anglesey circuit to support two friends who are racing in the Wirral 100 Club meeting.
Get out there and enjoy the winter riding, Dave.

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 03 October 2017, 09:28:05 am »
Couldnt agree more about the summer holiday traffic in North Wales. Was up on Anglesey 1st week in July and although the island itself wasnt bad, we met all you describe and then some on the journey up through Bettws-Y- Coed & our detour up the Llanberis Pass.
Last few winters I have put the bike into hibernation for Nov-Feb but like yourself I dont know how long I will be able to continue riding with a progressive lung condition so intend to "live life to the full" while I still am able to.
I remember how quiet those self same roads can be come winter time-just have to watch out for the odd blizzard in Snowdonia :lol

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 03 October 2017, 01:23:03 pm »
I too ride all year around but just like in the summer - only when its dry. There are plenty of dry winter days to be had and a 1//2 or 1 hour blat is usually enough to get me my FZS fix and just about short enough before I am concentrating more on my coldness than the road.

But I dont get out often enough during the summer months so still feel the need during the winter
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 03 October 2017, 01:59:52 pm »

While all you pussies are wasting money on magical toxins to see your bike through the next half year, I'll be riding mine. :lol
OK, occasionally we'll get a cold snap but there hasn't been one in recent years that's lasted more than a couple of weeks.
There will be loads of dry sunny days between now and April, I don't intend to miss out on them.

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
  • riding till i die (or breakdown)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fazer stolen - gsx1100 rebuild
    • View Profile
    • disorderly punks motovlog
« Reply #32 on: 03 October 2017, 03:08:11 pm »
been caught out in all weathers as i ride all year
snow so bad i had to ride in the tracks of car in front so close i could see his tail lights (easy crashing distance)
had hypothermia once
and far too often through floods which does wonders for washing the undercarage
https://youtu.be/RkKFHg4jXY4?
« Last Edit: 03 October 2017, 07:22:47 pm by Disorderlypunk »

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 04 October 2017, 09:49:58 pm »
I just love Castrol R and I have a can in my shed which I bought to use on my old BSA (now sold) but I pop a bit in my bike every now and then and especially if I'm on a ride-out with some friends just so they can get a whiff.
I was told it is basically castor oil so that's probably why it causes stomach complaints...

Hey Hugh,
Shove a drop of Castrol R in your lawn mower tank about 5 ml will do, makes mowing the lawn a completely different experience.

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 04 October 2017, 10:56:45 pm »
I just love Castrol R and I have a can in my shed which I bought to use on my old BSA (now sold) but I pop a bit in my bike every now and then and especially if I'm on a ride-out with some friends just so they can get a whiff.
I was told it is basically castor oil so that's probably why it causes stomach complaints...

Hey Hugh,
Shove a drop of Castrol R in your lawn mower tank about 5 ml will do, makes mowing the lawn a completely different experience.

that might be enough to make me mow the lawn every weekend

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 05 October 2017, 06:39:25 am »
 :lol :lol :lol

Where do you guys get castrol R from ?...ive been looking for years to use in my 250 suzuki .
One, is never going to be enough.....

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 05 October 2017, 08:49:43 pm »

Hey Hugh,

Ha ha Tommy. Been there, done that a couple of weekends ago. The missus asked what the smell was but my lad knew straight away  :lol  Funny thing was that I cut the lawn a lot quicker than usual...

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 06 October 2017, 04:23:00 am »
That's a very good price.
I bought mine from my local speedway shop in the village. It was about £18.

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 06 October 2017, 05:06:20 am »
a SPEEDWAY SHOP in the village
-i live just outside a speedway town and we dont have one of those

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 06 October 2017, 07:23:12 am »

A lot of the good things in life are now on hold  :'( bike almost ready for the hibernation cave, just waiting for the Marvel M Oil to be delivered (bit slow I must say) the Sta-Bil that I ordered after the MMO, was delivered two days ago.
And now to top it off the foccing grass has stopped growing so no nice Castro R smells as I'm running around the gardens like a loony.
Life's a bitch. :lol

matt7chunk

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Xj900f 1993
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 06 October 2017, 11:28:17 pm »
I still use my fazer over the winter on dry days , But i still use the stabiliser in the tank and acf50, because you just know there's always gonna be a month where its shitty the whole time and its peace of mind that the carbs should be ok

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 07 October 2017, 12:03:38 am »
I still use my fazer over the winter on dry days , But i still use the stabiliser in the tank and acf50, because you just know there's always gonna be a month where its shitty the whole time and its peace of mind that the carbs should be ok

I suppose my mower and strimmers should have some stabiliser in their tanks.

Hedgtrimmer too, we all know how unstable he is lol!  :lol :fish :moon :finger :foc :pokefun :2guns :look

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 09 October 2017, 04:58:14 pm »
Hey! At long last that Marvel Mystery Oil showed up, it only took 7 working day in the post, shite delivery service.
But I can at long last I can put the 600 to bed for the winter.