Date: 19-03-24  Time: 03:25 am

Author Topic: Improved front brake pads  (Read 1494 times)

Marcho

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
Improved front brake pads
« on: 12 September 2017, 12:37:53 pm »
I had always been disappointed with the braking on my 2012 Fazer 800, a lot of lever travel for little action.  I spoke to my dealer at the last service and they said 'stick with the OEM' they're best.

Well eventually I thought I've got to improve them so took a gamble.  I've used EBC before on other vehicles with great results so after a little research bought a set of Sintered for the front.  A marked improvement and wish I'd done it a couple of years ago.

So if you want an easy improvement for yours get a set of sintered EBC Ebay UK dealers sell them for around £35 the full front sets.

celticbiker

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
Re: Improved front brake pads
« Reply #1 on: 12 September 2017, 01:14:27 pm »
Oem pads are never going to be as good as after market ones.
There might be something else at work here though, on my 800 I find the inner pistons tend to get sticky and causes the outer pads too wear quicker, when the lever gets spongy I whip the pads out and give the pistons a clean and the brakes are greatly improved for another six weeks.
(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste
(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help
(")-(") him gain world domination!

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 September 2017, 06:45:31 am »
Do you take the piston out ?
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

celticbiker

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 September 2017, 11:11:30 am »
No.
I take one pad out of one caliper, pump the pistons out a bit (be careful not to go too far or you'll end up with air in the calipers)and clean them with brake cleaner spray and a toothbrush and strips of cloth (not the wife's she won't appreciate it). Push them back in and repeat with all the others. It can take a while if you haven't done it before but with practice can be done in 15 minutes.
(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste
(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help
(")-(") him gain world domination!