Date: 29-03-24  Time: 01:38 am

Author Topic: Things I learnt with my first car  (Read 7154 times)

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Re: Things I learnt with my first car
« Reply #25 on: 09 September 2017, 12:27:16 am »
A useful tip for drivers of cars or motorcycles is the more white paint there is on the road the bigger the foccing hazard is it is warning you of.

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 09 September 2017, 12:34:58 am »

A useful tip for drivers of cars or motorcycles is the more white paint there is on the road the bigger the foccing hazard is it is warning you of.
It surprises me the number of drivers/riders who don't realise that the gap between the centre lines close up and the lines get longer on the approach to a hazard.

Nemesis

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 09 September 2017, 02:43:54 am »
I know its off topic but the thing ive learnt with my first bike ( over last 6 months)  is the amount of crap dangerous or just inconsiderate car drivers, the good ones Ive observed are probably just bikers in cars I always acknowledge the cars that you can tell are biker considerate, then I put the hammer down ha ha. well treat it like a chainsaw good advice :lol

but going back on topic for me in 1990 was don't fall asleep at the wheel :z ie pull over, fence post thru windscreen car looked like a tank, lol, luckily no injuries to any 3rd parties. 

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 09 September 2017, 09:07:16 am »

I know its off topic but the thing ive learnt with my first bike ( over last 6 months)  is the amount of crap dangerous or just inconsiderate car drivers, the good ones Ive observed are probably just bikers in cars I always acknowledge the cars that you can tell are biker considerate, then I put the hammer down ha ha. well treat it like a chainsaw good advice :lol
Car drivers are always seen as the enemy and there are some out  there who deserve to be but there are a lot of motorcyclists who are their own worst enemy, by the way they ride. I'm sure a lot of them now see defensive riding as a weakness.
« Last Edit: 09 September 2017, 09:21:07 am by vinnyb »

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 09 September 2017, 09:20:05 am »

but going back on topic for me in 1990 was don't fall asleep at the wheel :z ie pull over, fence post thru windscreen car looked like a tank, lol, luckily no injuries to any 3rd parties.

Sounds like you had a very lucky escape with the post through the screen, people have been javalined through the chest and seat back by that happening.

My falling asleep believe it or not was on a BSA Bantam 175cc in 1965. I was working as an apprentice bricklayer and saved up £17 to buy the bike, it needed stuff doing to it but was rideable, I was so excited about having the bike and being able to work on it that I stayed up two nights running working on the bike in the shed and working on the building site through the day, I had gone about 60 odd hours without sleep,

it's now early on a Saturday morning in 1965, bright sunny day bike looking good, rust removed from the chrome wheel rims and handle bars chain adjusted and lubed, plug and carb cleaned (Amal Monoblock) red paintwork scrubbed and polished, leopard skin elaticated plastic seat cover in place, you get the picture. Leg over the seat and I'm off to ride to Guildford, about 16 miles, I could not get what I needed at Pascals Motorcycles of Guildford so back on the old Billy Bantam heading across the Hogs Back to Farnham, I recall seeing the set of traffic lights on the bridge about 300 or 400 yards ahead of me just outside Farnham the next thing I knew was being about 15 foot from a stopped Morris Countryman and I was still doing about 55 mph (flat out) with cars crossing the bridge towards me I yanked every thing on and tried to go up the inside of the Morris, I punched the backlights out of the near side of the car with my fist wrapped over the front brake lever, ended up scattered up the road and within 45 minutes found myself back in Guildford again this time in the A & E ward. I sometimes think to myself how the fuck did I managed to fall asleep ridding a motorcycle, no crash helmet or gloves, finances did not stretch to that and it wasn't required by law.
Sleep deprivation is a powerful force.
To this day I still have a small piece of glass in one fingers and slight impairment of movement in that hand.

Oldgit

• foccerwithoutaspacebar
  • GP Hero
  • Old Age & Treachery will Overcome Youth & Skill
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - BMW R1200RS Sport SE
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 14 September 2017, 01:47:25 pm »
it was total shit--that's about all I can say that I learned about my first car.

F4celess

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 14 September 2017, 02:08:15 pm »
My first car.... got written off about a month after buying it, by a guy driving OUT of a pub car park, using the 'ENTRANCE' road (not the Exit, plus against the flow of traffic). Plus he had the nerve to ask me if I had been drinking!  :lol

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #32 on: 14 September 2017, 02:56:57 pm »
And never forget      MIRROR, SIGNAL, MANOEUVRE.

Though more commonly seen, even after years of driving, is manoeuvre, signal, no mirror.

and if your been riding long enough its

Mirror, signal, mirror, manouvre
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

F4celess

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 14 September 2017, 03:01:27 pm »
And never forget      MIRROR, SIGNAL, MANOEUVRE.

Though more commonly seen, even after years of driving, is manoeuvre, signal, no mirror.

and if your been riding long enough its

Mirror, signal, mirror, manouvre

No shoulder checks? ("Lifesaver").
Mirror, signal + then take up correct position in road, lifesaver over shoulder, manoeuvre.
« Last Edit: 14 September 2017, 03:05:44 pm by F4celess »

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
  • There is only one form of racing, road racing.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2017 MT-09 Tracer ABS
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 14 September 2017, 11:52:16 pm »
Not a good idea to try shagging your bird in an Isetta bubble car. The battery terminals arc across the springs under the seat.
MT-09 Tracer for those who no longer can handle a BIG boy Fazer

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 15 September 2017, 10:27:44 am »
Not a good idea to try shagging your bird in an Isetta bubble car. The battery terminals arc across the springs under the seat.

Luckily nobody who drove an Isetta Bubble car had a girlfriend to try it with 😂😂

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 15 September 2017, 11:41:55 am »

Luckily nobody who drove an Isetta Bubble car had a girlfriend to try it with 😂😂
:thumbup :rollin very good
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
  • There is only one form of racing, road racing.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2017 MT-09 Tracer ABS
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 15 September 2017, 02:52:58 pm »

Oh sad bastard that I am I did , I was never lucky with that girl. Only time I have ever broken a bone on a motor bike was with her.
Triumph Bonnie her up front bent forward over the tank, me banging away, arse going like a fiddlers elbow, on the vingegar strokes and the fecking thing came off the centre stand, broke me fecking ankle. :(
MT-09 Tracer for those who no longer can handle a BIG boy Fazer

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 15 September 2017, 03:44:05 pm »

Oh sad bastard that I am I did , I was never lucky with that girl. Only time I have ever broken a bone on a motor bike was with her.
Triumph Bonnie her up front bent forward over the tank, me banging away, arse going like a fiddlers elbow, on the vingegar strokes and the fecking thing came off the centre stand, broke me fecking ankle. :(

😂🤣😂🤣😂 not scared to share I see then Lew haha

taylor

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 15 September 2017, 10:04:21 pm »
here is another,      whilst taking the slip road onto the m5 in a old lorry don't open your cuppa soup,       because the gearstick might just knock it out of your hands all over your nuts .      painfull.  and hard to undress lol.
sent from my carafan in tenby, ;)