Date: 28-03-24  Time: 19:48 pm

Author Topic: Tank loose after crash  (Read 1989 times)

Drezza

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - DRZ
    • View Profile
Tank loose after crash
« on: 05 September 2017, 12:22:10 pm »
I went into the side of a lorry that turned across my path on the Fazer, the front fairing is smashed up, forks bent, headlight unit cracked, fairing stay bent and both engine covers cracked. I've managed to put on a new set of forks and the the bike still seems straight.

Now when I was installing the handlebars, I noticed the tank is very wobbly from side to side. I've checked the front mount and rear mounts are tight, and the tank still has the rubbers underneath. I cannot figure out what has changed to make it become so wobbly?

The handlebar got bent into the tank slightly when I dropped the bike as there is a small dent in the tank. But I can't think what's causing it?

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
  • riding till i die (or breakdown)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fazer stolen - gsx1100 rebuild
    • View Profile
    • disorderly punks motovlog
Re: Tank loose after crash
« Reply #1 on: 05 September 2017, 12:29:07 pm »
have the side rubber mountings rotated ?
im assuming you have checked the two bolts under the tank at the front aswell
the rubbers are the most likely culprit though

Drezza

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - DRZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 September 2017, 12:34:52 pm »
have the side rubber mountings rotated ?
im assuming you have checked the two bolts under the tank at the front aswell
the rubbers are the most likely culprit though

I did initially think the rubbers had slipped, but after looking they seem right. They're positioned the same as this:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/pVYAAOSwfC9XPcGm/s-l300.jpg

I haven't checked the two bolts under the tank at the front though  :lol  Will check later.

F4celess

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 September 2017, 05:35:01 pm »
Look at how the Tank sits ALL the way around it's base, where it "sits" ontop of the Frame tubing. Ensure the gap/distances are identical all the way round.

Symmetrical front to back plus side to side too.

Any inconsistencies could indicate the Frame is warped or bent.

Bike sounds beat up! Hopefully you came out better!?

Drezza

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - DRZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 September 2017, 12:49:42 pm »
After using your advice about checking the gap round the side, I noticed it was sitting on the rubber on one side but not the other. I took the bolt out the front mount and noticed that it would sit fine when not tightened, but when tightened it would pull the tank up... So I think when the bars hit the tank, the front mount bent  :eek

Miraculously I came off more or less unscathed, spent the night in the hospital because I started talking jibberish for a bit and repeating myself (concussion) and a slightly bruised knee but otherwise ok :)

F4celess

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 September 2017, 01:30:11 pm »
At least you've now identified the problem. So you are referring to the tanks front mount (metal flap).
If that doesn't sit flush onto the metal 'pad', where it bolts up (single bolt), what do you think is off (tank or frame)?

Importantly, you came out of this ok. :thumbup A bike can at least be repaired/replaced - while a life cannot.

Drezza

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - DRZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 September 2017, 04:16:35 pm »
Yeah the front mount 'flap' whatever the correct term is. I think the tank and the frame are fine, the metal mount has taken the brunt of the force and twisted, so I've ordered a new (secondhand) one from a breaker which hopefully resolves the problem.

Just need to sort out a single round headlight and mounting the clocks after the fairing got destroyed  :'(

F4celess

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 September 2017, 08:48:25 am »
Yeah the front mount 'flap' whatever the correct term is. I think the tank and the frame are fine, the metal mount has taken the brunt of the force and twisted, so I've ordered a new (secondhand) one from a breaker which hopefully resolves the problem.

Just need to sort out a single round headlight and mounting the clocks after the fairing got destroyed  :'(

Good you can order a new front mount. From memory wasn't sure if it was welded to the front of the tank. Sounds ideal. bolt off / new one on.

Why don't you go for aftermarket Clocks, if you now will run no fairing? Might actually be easier to mount. The original Clocks seem to look twice as big, with none of that front fairing in place. for them to drop into. :)

Drezza

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - DRZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 September 2017, 09:12:05 am »
Yeah that's a good point about different clocks, I just want to get it on the road as cheaply as possible since it's now a CAT C, there's not much point throwing much money at it.  :(

F4celess

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 September 2017, 11:06:12 am »
So your front fairing got destroyed. Do you plan to source replacements, or will run a more 'naked' look?
Guess you can see the metal bracket at the front of your bike now, that holds the Clocks / Headlight etc. That will be another consideration (usually remove it), if you don't use the original fairing. The bracket also holds securely the headlight wiring loom too.

Theres LOADS of headlight bracket options on ebay (if you mean an aftermarket round headlight?), usually that clamp to your forks (one each side).

Drezza

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - DRZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 September 2017, 11:23:03 am »
Yep front fairing totally buggered, I'd only consider replacements if they were similarly priced to just sticking a round headlight on. Mounting the headlight looks simple enough with the two fork mounted brackets, the more difficult bit IMO is how to mount the clocks and what to do with all the redundant wiring.

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 September 2017, 11:48:27 am »
you may find that you need more wiring as you are going from a stationary headlight system to one that moves

i had to rewire my front end for the new clocks system anyhow but im sure it all started for the moving headlights
- not a difficult job just a little time consuming with soldering iron and heat shrink

the cage needs chopped down as it holds your clock but gets in the way of a naked headlight conversion
you will see what needs chopped when you get in there (will be bent to buggery after crash anyhow)

F4celess

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 September 2017, 11:51:01 am »
Might be possible to cut the original front Bracket down, to accommodate just the clocks - for a quick fix - simpler than fabricating a custom bracket.
The wiring takes a little thought. Although it can appear neatly hidden behind your new Headlight, if done carefully. Bunch of cable ties helps alot! :)

Bear in mind you'd need to leave some slack for the headlight wiring, as if you have it mounted to your forks, its going to be moving left/right (whereas with the original fairing, the headlight never moved with the handlebars!).

EDIT: Just noticed DP got in just before me (sorry for duplicating ideas). Great minds think alike.  :lol

« Last Edit: 20 September 2017, 11:53:14 am by F4celess »

Drezza

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - DRZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 20 September 2017, 11:58:00 am »
Thanks for the heads up, I hadn't taken the movement of the headlight into consideration so that's a good point. I don't mind messing around with the wiring as long as it's not too complicated. The bracket did get a little twisted but I think the clocks still sit straight with it mounted up, so should be able to salvage it  :) .

Will keep my eye out for a headlight and brackets on eBay.

F4celess

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 20 September 2017, 12:10:45 pm »
 :thumbup keep us updated.

Just a few weeks ago I had all this stuff on ebay (bracket / mint fairings / etc), as after recently buying my Fazer, I've gone the 'naked' route.
If you DO decide to use your bracket, considering you'll be cutting most of it off anyway, it shouldn't take much to bend straight what you end up with.

You might also need to angle it up more, so it stays away from your replacement front headlight (as highlighted by DP above).

Drezza

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - DRZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 20 September 2017, 12:23:53 pm »
Good stuff, will keep you updated with pictures when I finally get round to it... need to sort out other damage first though and make sure it still runs!

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 20 September 2017, 01:14:47 pm »
it is seriously easy to lob it off, about 10 secs with angle grinder then spray inside hole with loads of paint give it a swirl to coat everything then it wont rust from inside as much (you will swap it out long before it will rust to oblivion though)

i had to bend mine up up a bit to stop it fowling the dominator headlights i had on at the time once again no big problem (whack with big hammer)