Bikes, Hints'n'Tips > FZS600 Fazer

Tank loose after crash

(1/4) > >>

Drezza:
I went into the side of a lorry that turned across my path on the Fazer, the front fairing is smashed up, forks bent, headlight unit cracked, fairing stay bent and both engine covers cracked. I've managed to put on a new set of forks and the the bike still seems straight.

Now when I was installing the handlebars, I noticed the tank is very wobbly from side to side. I've checked the front mount and rear mounts are tight, and the tank still has the rubbers underneath. I cannot figure out what has changed to make it become so wobbly?

The handlebar got bent into the tank slightly when I dropped the bike as there is a small dent in the tank. But I can't think what's causing it?

Disorderlypunk:
have the side rubber mountings rotated ?
im assuming you have checked the two bolts under the tank at the front aswell
the rubbers are the most likely culprit though

Drezza:

--- Quote from: Disorderlypunk on 05 September 2017, 12:29:07 pm ---have the side rubber mountings rotated ?
im assuming you have checked the two bolts under the tank at the front aswell
the rubbers are the most likely culprit though

--- End quote ---

I did initially think the rubbers had slipped, but after looking they seem right. They're positioned the same as this:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/pVYAAOSwfC9XPcGm/s-l300.jpg

I haven't checked the two bolts under the tank at the front though  :lol  Will check later.

F4celess:
Look at how the Tank sits ALL the way around it's base, where it "sits" ontop of the Frame tubing. Ensure the gap/distances are identical all the way round.

Symmetrical front to back plus side to side too.

Any inconsistencies could indicate the Frame is warped or bent.

Bike sounds beat up! Hopefully you came out better!?

Drezza:
After using your advice about checking the gap round the side, I noticed it was sitting on the rubber on one side but not the other. I took the bolt out the front mount and noticed that it would sit fine when not tightened, but when tightened it would pull the tank up... So I think when the bars hit the tank, the front mount bent  :eek

Miraculously I came off more or less unscathed, spent the night in the hospital because I started talking jibberish for a bit and repeating myself (concussion) and a slightly bruised knee but otherwise ok :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version