Date: 25-04-24  Time: 02:29 am

Author Topic: Downshift Blipping  (Read 16103 times)

F4celess

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Downshift Blipping
« Reply #75 on: 26 September 2017, 11:49:53 pm »
Did 135mph on mine, with a pillion too, and the bike definitely had more to give, but some selfish car driver changed lanes about a third of a mile ahead, so i shut off the throttle.
Thing is, it ain't much fun to be honest, unless the elements are totally in your favour.
Your head and body get bashed about, and the risk is phenomenal, so i can say that i've been there done that but feel no real urge to do it again.
But it DOES need to be done, even if it's just the one experience.

The pillion rider tends to suffer far more serious injuries, in a motorcycle accident, fact!

At 135mph you eliminated the possibility that your pillion would come out with any injuries at all, as they'd be dead (there's alot that could happen outside of your control, speed wobble, tyre blows out, animal runs into the road, another vehicle changes lane or enters the carriageway, etc)...

Next time you feel the urge "it has to be done... to get the tshirt" perhaps look back, to make sure you arent carrying a pillion first!?   :eek :)

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 26 September 2017, 11:53:24 pm »
At 135 MPH your both toast.

You know what F4celess you are exactly right, Darssi was a naughty boy doing that with a pillion up back, but FFS who hasn't done stupid things in life?
It is likely that somewhere someone in the known world was killed that same day riding their motorcycle at 40 mph along the street and a truck pulled out on them.
Life is full of risks and I'm sure his mate was on the back screaming give it the beans in his ear, that's what lads do, not saying it's sensible but that's what they do.

I have never done those sort of speeds with a pillion up back, most of my mates used to think I was foccing mad anyway and would not get on the back of my bike.  :rolleyes   
« Last Edit: 27 September 2017, 12:03:51 am by tommyardin »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 27 September 2017, 06:53:56 am »
Did 135mph on mine, with a pillion too, and the bike definitely had more to give, but some selfish car driver changed lanes about a third of a mile ahead, so i shut off the throttle.
Thing is, it ain't much fun to be honest, unless the elements are totally in your favour.
Your head and body get bashed about, and the risk is phenomenal, so i can say that i've been there done that but feel no real urge to do it again.

The pillion rider tends to suffer far more serious injuries, in a motorcycle accident, fact!

At 135mph you eliminated the possibility that your pillion would come out with any injuries at all, as they'd be dead (there's alot that could happen outside of your control, speed wobble, tyre blows out, animal runs into the road, another vehicle changes lane or enters the carriageway, etc)...

Next time you feel the urge "it has to be done... to get the tshirt" perhaps look back, to make sure you arent carrying a pillion first!?   :eek :)

The pillion knew exactly what was about to happen, and me, along with everyone else, risk our lives as soon as you get on a bike and start riding on the road.
Similar to people who find the urge to parachute out of planes, now you wouldn't get me doing that ever, because my mind tells me that it's very dangerous and the risk assessment is much higher 'cos if your parachute(s) fail you're totally fooked, but people still do it, just to get a buzz out of it.
If my bike was bigger then maybe i'd have gone faster, who knows, or worse still, i could've been hit whilst 'speeding' by some poor bloke who's parachute had failed? That would make a good story, albeit an unlucky one for all involved.  :lol
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 27 September 2017, 07:49:46 am »

The pillion knew exactly what was about to happen, and me, along with everyone else, risk our lives as soon as you get on a bike and start riding on the road.
Similar to people who find the urge to parachute out of planes, now you wouldn't get me doing that ever, because my mind tells me that it's very dangerous and the risk assessment is much higher 'cos if your parachute(s) fail you're totally fooked, but people still do it, just to get a buzz out of it.
If my bike was bigger then maybe i'd have gone faster, who knows, or worse still, i could've been hit whilst 'speeding' by some poor bloke who's parachute had failed? That would make a good story, albeit an unlucky one for all involved.  :lol

Let's face it we've all done it at some point- speeding that is, although I guess not many will do it 2 up. I must admit in my yoof to giving the odd pillion rider a bit of a scare by caning it at times. Nowadays I think it is in fact a bit selfish to speed at silly levels, the risk to yourself is one thing but the risk to other road users is a bit unfair. I suppose that's why track days are so popular. The fun's being sucked out of the roads,
cars are slowly moving to electric, i'm sure bikes will follow. Google is even working on a driverless car- how much fun is that going to be. Also, there's too many vehicles on the road for such a small country. We also have to contend with these.

Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 27 September 2017, 09:50:42 am »
I'm not averse to riding at speed with my misses on the back. She loves it. There are times and places where it's too dangerous so I steady up a bit.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 27 September 2017, 01:22:29 pm »
What worries me more these days are the condition of the roads.
I reported a pothole the other day that i just missed falling into on the bike on my way home, and even after saying it was "URGENT" it was only fixed about 8 days afterwards.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

ptolemyx

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Busa
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 29 September 2017, 07:13:09 am »
Looks like this thread's been hijacked by a discussion between the morally indignant "Polite" vest brigade and the rest of us  :rolleyes
when in doubt go flat out

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 29 September 2017, 07:27:24 am »
Theres nothing like a good bit of downshift "blipping" with a bit of simultaneous 2 finger braking :lol
In a cage its somewhat different using the mantra  "Brakes to slow-Gears to go" so since our bike gearboxes are sequential we can employ some fancy finger & wrist action( :b )[size=78%] to enjoy ourselves at the same time demonstrating mechanical sympathy for the engine & drivetrain[/size]

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 29 September 2017, 11:31:42 am »
Well I finally got to ride the MT and discovered ............. I dont blip  :eek :eek :eek

ptolemyx

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Busa
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 01 October 2017, 09:38:14 am »
After years of blipping I think it's making me go blind,   

though the wife says it's caused by my other activities  :b
when in doubt go flat out