Date: 28-03-24  Time: 11:18 am

Author Topic: Jack up kit versus dropping the forks.  (Read 6662 times)

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Jack up kit versus dropping the forks.
« Reply #25 on: 28 September 2017, 07:08:19 pm »
You need to take measurements to describe the base bike

Then you can make modifications using the modify panel, altering fork lengths, link lengths, swingarm pivot height, link positions etc (the grey bike represents the standard one)

All works animated live...

Intentionally left blank

Flooky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 06 October 2017, 08:50:35 am »
I don't really understand the "makes the bike fit me " argument, it doesn't change the bar/seat/peg relationship, so its just sitting at a standstill that is different.
I would have thought that doesn't really matter. Am I missing something ?

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 06 October 2017, 09:10:02 am »
I don't really understand the "makes the bike fit me " argument, it doesn't change the bar/seat/peg relationship, so its just sitting at a standstill that is different.
As you say the riding position remains unchanged, but as the seat height is increased the bike looks and feels a better fit for taller riders even if the feel part is most evident at a standstill when you have your feet on the ground. Having said that the main benefit of a jack-up kit remains the improved handling.
« Last Edit: 06 October 2017, 11:35:40 am by PieEater »

Flooky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 07 October 2017, 09:59:55 pm »
I know about the handling changes but the feel for a taller rider is a strange one, if your a midget or 8 ft tall jacking the bike will make no difference, you would both feel the same improvement / change of feel.
as far as looks go, if your on it , it makes no difference, only at a stand still will it make a difference and if your tall complete control over your bike cos it seems small is only a good thing.

apage16

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 07 October 2017, 10:46:17 pm »
I was thinking of jacking up to increase ground clearance so i could put lower pegs on to give me more leg room without increasing the chances of scraping pegs. I was worried about upsetting the handling or increasing chances of head wobble. If all it does is improve handling then i might reconsider.

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 07 October 2017, 11:33:03 pm »
if your a midget or 8 ft tall jacking the bike will make no difference, you would both feel the same improvement / change of feel.

as far as looks go, if your on it , it makes no difference, only at a stand still will it make a difference and if your tall complete control over your bike cos it seems small is only a good thing.
As a taller / larger person I'm much happier with a taller bike, I look better when I'm sat on it, it fits me better when I'm sat on it, and that makes me feel happier owning and riding it. I recently had an unsolicited comment from a bike mechanic that I'd never met before who said my bike looked spot on for my size when I was stood by it and sat on it, contrast that with being told by my wife that she thought I looked silly sat on my fireblade as I was out of proportion with the bike.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 08 October 2017, 07:58:34 am »
if your a midget or 8 ft tall jacking the bike will make no difference, you would both feel the same improvement / change of feel.

As a taller / larger person I'm much happier with a taller bike, I look better when I'm sat on it, it fits me better when I'm sat on it, and that makes me feel happier owning and riding it. I recently had an unsolicited comment from a bike mechanic that I'd never met before who said my bike looked spot on for my size when I was stood by it and sat on it, contrast that with being told by my wife that she thought I looked silly sat on my fireblade as I was out of proportion with the bike.

Yeah but to fair anyone over 5ft 5 looks silly on a fireblade haha or any modern sportsbike really. That's why I prefer older sportbikes. My old thundercat 600 was bigger than a modern litrebike.

Flooky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 08 October 2017, 09:43:54 pm »
Actually thinking about it , when I had a big trail bike the feel is different and that's the same thing I spos,
maybe just a higher feel makes things different.

F4celess

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 12 October 2017, 01:00:56 pm »

With my jacked up Fazer, my head is now above the roofline of cars... caravans... horse boxes too!  :lol ;) It's a win win.

I now use an old wooden bread cutting board (nice and solid), placed between the wheels, that I then raise the centre stand onto.
It gives me back those 3 or 4cm clearance, and my back wheel is in the air again. Wheel rotates freely for cleaning chain etc. Only do this for maintenance.

Leaving the Bike on the Side stand does now feel a little risky, as it leans over quite a bit. I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving it on side stand for long periods (overnight or while at work for the day). Obviously lengthening the side stand is the answer to this (as a lot do). The bike does still sit very securely on centre stand.