Date: 28-03-24  Time: 20:16 pm

Author Topic: FZS600 Tail conversion / Swaps (Sports bike grafted)?  (Read 6999 times)

F4celess

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
FZS600 Tail conversion / Swaps (Sports bike grafted)?
« on: 30 August 2017, 10:51:00 am »
Have been considering Sports bike Tails for my Fazer, especially a couple of Ducati options.

However, perhaps unlike most other sports bikes, the Fazer doesn't have a detachable rear Subframe.
It's all one big welded frame (front to back) - assume which added to some of the cost savings during production.

So the existing frame would need to be cut at some point (something I'm extremely loathed to do), where the donor subframe would be welded on.

Anyone have a Fazer, where such a conversion has been carried out? Success stories? Considerations? PICS?? :D

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
  • riding till i die (or breakdown)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fazer stolen - gsx1100 rebuild
    • View Profile
    • disorderly punks motovlog
Re: FZS600 Tail conversion / Swaps (Sports bike grafted)?
« Reply #1 on: 30 August 2017, 02:16:33 pm »
there are loads out there done - but never a quick easy swap
i built an entire subframe for my old fz600 from a spare i had laying around for a race seat from a midi moto
an option could be to use a bolt on subframe, weld on some attatchment lugs so it becomes a bolt on, you could play with its geometry easier that way
ie - weld on top lugs and bolt then figure out the dimensions of the lower lugs to get seat angle or eurofighter arse up look.
that might be the way i go but i havent decided yet as i can use the bits i need to chop off the standard sub to make my eurofighter seat fit

F4celess

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 August 2017, 03:05:27 pm »
Hi Disorderlypunk, thanks for your response.

Perhaps I need to do a bit more digging, to find some examples on here. :)

Welding on lugs sounds an interesting idea. Then a bottom set, to take an existing Sport bike Subframe.
Although the width/spacing of an existing Subframe, isn't likely to be the same as the left/right sides of the Fazer rear frame (to line up straight off).

I'm thinking commit to a specific Sports bike tail, buy that Subframe complete (fleabay), then adapt the Fazer rear frame to suit, so ultimately the 4 Lugs welded on will then enable the new Subframe to bolt straight on (as you say). Will require an amount of trial and error. I don't have any welding skills/facilities, so I'd have to rely on a fabricator to complete. Do you do this sort of work? Any idea on how much its likely to cost?

I wouldn't want to go too Eurofighter, it doesn't suit our UK taste (so much) :) More just a seamless looking transition front to back, with a more aggressive/purposeful rear end.  8)

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 August 2017, 04:10:30 pm »
not a clue how much a fabricator would charge as i do my own welding
a cheap welder would give you the ability to tack on what you need (and grind off if wrong)
then could be sent to a fabricator to fully weld up which should look profesional

sometimes its best to have a subframe in your hand so you can see how things align and what methods could be used/bodged

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 September 2017, 07:59:59 pm »
found this pic check the subframe mounting- will be saving this into my bits and pieces folder and pintrest

wraith600

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 September 2017, 12:31:41 am »
had an 03 R1 put on mine by a local bike builder as my welding is shit
follow me and ile show you were to crash

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,484.msg2583.html#msg2583

Waterhouse

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 September 2017, 06:35:43 am »
He there great idea. I've been looking into doing the same thing myself. I'm wanting to do a bolt on version too as I'm looking to put a cafe racer / bonneville style subframe and seat on mine for when the misses is riding pillion. And then have a solo race style seat that I can switch to when I'm having a blast on my own.

I've looked into this a bit and figured that if I build an entire seat unit with all electrics in place so I can unplug the lighting and unbolt the frame I should be able to switch and bolt on a new subframe and plug the new lighting in.

Although I'd do most of the work myself with a fabricator mate finishing off the welding. Is there any mot issues regarding strength that might arise ? How did it go with your r1 rear end ?

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 September 2017, 08:22:41 am »
lol i put up a pic of wraiths bike -what are the odds

F4celess

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 September 2017, 09:31:34 am »

I've looked into this a bit and figured that if I build an entire seat unit with all electrics in place so I can unplug the lighting and unbolt the frame I should be able to switch and bolt on a new subframe and plug the new lighting in.

Although I'd do most of the work myself with a fabricator mate finishing off the welding. Is there any mot issues regarding strength that might arise ? How did it go with your r1 rear end ?

A "hot swappable" rear end. :)  Could devise a "universal" loom connector (coming from the bike), so both swappable tail sections (café racer / race) have an identical mating Connector (for lighting / indicators etc), and just plug straight into the bike. Could literally be a 5 minute job to swap tail sections. Both swappable rear subframes would have 4 mounting lugs of identical dimensions/positions, so they mate to the rear frame of the Bike, where corresponding lugs are welded on. This sounds a great idea!

F4celess

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 September 2017, 09:34:08 am »
had an 03 R1 put on mine by a local bike builder as my welding is shit

There appears to be a good deal more going on there, including the rear Swingarm. Was that R1 also? Straight swap?
The rear now looks almost too "sporty" for the front Fazer (half) fairing? Very nicely finished.  ;)  8)

I'm quite surprised almost 20 on (from when the FZS Fazer came out), there's no aftermarket Seat options. So instead of the standard factory front/pillion combined seat, there's some kind of Hybrid option(s), that replaces the original seat. Perhaps moulded single Sports seat, and even rider + pillion however as 2 individual padded seats.
« Last Edit: 05 September 2017, 10:07:12 am by F4celess »

Waterhouse

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 September 2017, 10:56:58 am »

A "hot swappable" rear end. :)  Could devise a "universal" loom connector (coming from the bike), so both swappable tail sections (café racer / race) have an identical mating Connector (for lighting / indicators etc), and just plug straight into the bike. Could literally be a 5 minute job to swap tail sections. Both swappable rear subframes would have 4 mounting lugs of identical dimensions/positions, so they mate to the rear frame of the Bike, where corresponding lugs are welded on. This sounds a great idea!

Exactly what I was thinking. Could even make the original tail u it subframe to match the new lugs so you could technically put it back to standard.

wraith600

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05 September 2017, 11:30:11 am »
no MOT issues on mine all the suspension is from  a 2000 RSV MILLE . it  was not an easy job there are spacers on the frame that need removing + top hat spacers to machine for the swingarm and depending on your preference either the top or bottom shock mounts to modify as the MILLE shock is off set not central     

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05 September 2017, 12:32:33 pm »
after seeing your post over on the other forum i have been eyeing up mille parts alongside my other ideas possibilities i.e. single sided
-where did you get your airfilter setup at ?? - im just running shit chinese pods at moment till i find something better
if its easy its no fun !!!!!
« Last Edit: 05 September 2017, 12:35:07 pm by Disorderlypunk »

wraith600

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05 September 2017, 01:06:34 pm »
after seeing your post over on the other forum i have been eyeing up mille parts alongside my other ideas possibilities i.e. single sided
-where did you get your airfilter setup at ?? - im just running shit chinese pods at moment till i find something better
if its easy its no fun !!!!!

that system has been scraped now as it looked shit :P now running the original air box inlets and RAM AIR SOCK FILTERS for a GSXR1000 looks a lot better ill post a pik a little later   

wraith600

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05 September 2017, 02:11:19 pm »

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 05 September 2017, 02:20:57 pm »
will have to wait till the GF gets here as i dont have FB and cant remember her password lol

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 05 September 2017, 02:27:28 pm »
did the r1 seat fit perfect flush up against the tank or did it need modding? - rather mod a r1 seat than create and entire one from scratch
yep they are the same ramairs i have my eye on - oval seems a better plan than round
« Last Edit: 05 September 2017, 02:28:26 pm by Disorderlypunk »

wraith600

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 12 September 2017, 02:44:08 pm »
the seat fits good had to trim a small amount from the plastic underneath the hook on the front fits under the rear tank mount   

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 12 September 2017, 03:10:30 pm »
trimming underside isnt a problem as it will be going on a flat race seat unit anyhow
i was struggling to figure out how to get a seatpad to sit nicely with the tank
-problem solved - cheers

F4celess

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 13 September 2017, 09:10:42 am »
I'm beginning to consider an R1 or R6 Swingarm as these are favourites for a Swingarm extension... going all out ! Would need to find a competent local bike fabricator.

Modifying the Swingarm to fit the Fazer would be the technical/difficult part... then the (tried and tested) extension Kits are simple to bolt on afterwards.

Am sure this route is fine living in the States, with mostly straight roads, however with our more "technical" twisty UK roads, such a setup could be more of a challenge to ride (losing some cornering agility?). FAT rear tyre.  :lol Perhaps I've been watching too much youtube!

wraith600

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 13 September 2017, 12:05:34 pm »
i run 120/70 front and 190/55 rear but mine is set for handling 

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 13 September 2017, 02:34:08 pm »
extended swingarms and fat tyres are only for looks
destroys handling on any bike especially sports
go for it on a vmax show bike and chops but wouldnt even consider it for a fazer i think it would look so wrong

F4celess

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 13 September 2017, 03:31:23 pm »
extended swingarms and fat tyres are only for looks
destroys handling on any bike especially sports
go for it on a vmax show bike and chops but wouldnt even consider it for a fazer i think it would look so wrong

A Fazer wouldn't warrant all the necessary blood, sweat and tears!?
(plus even more tears afterwards, when it rides like chit, plus you go back to check the bank balance, to see how much you threw away on the project).  :)

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 13 September 2017, 04:51:20 pm »
im throwing loads into mine but nowhere near that sort of money needed
hell im having enough tears right now with my datatool alarm system spiked (cant disarm)
damn things held together with the one set of security bits i cant find so its another couple of days to wait

F4celess

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 13 September 2017, 07:38:38 pm »
im throwing loads into mine but nowhere near that sort of money needed
hell im having enough tears right now with my datatool alarm system spiked (cant disarm)
damn things held together with the one set of security bits i cant find so its another couple of days to wait

What kind of Bit is it? I picked up a 100 piece screwdriver bit set yesterday which has loads of security bits. Such as Stars and the ones with little pins in the centre. Was only a fiver (Bunnings diy)