Date: 18-04-24  Time: 05:41 am

Author Topic: 99 fzs600 lumpy idle, lumpy low speed  (Read 5792 times)

motodevcam

• CBT Wobbler
  • PASSED MOD2!!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
    • Vloggage
99 fzs600 lumpy idle, lumpy low speed
« on: 28 August 2017, 02:12:50 pm »

Hello!

After some help please?! :) I've done lots of searching and taken on board lots of the suggestions in other threads...now time to start a new one!

I'm a new rider so bear in mind that some of the issues may be rider related :)
Struggling with low speed riding/manoeuvring. Scenario: Small tight roundabout, going all the way round/3rd exit. assume if pulled away from standing in 1st. If I drive it slowly as it's a tight R/A I'm finding it hard to keep it smooth. Almost to the point that I start to kangaroo. Now I get that I can slip the clutch and raise the revs, or drag the back brake....but...very hard to indicate off whilst holding in the clutch and on a wet RA I don't really want to drag the rear brake. It's not a problem I had on the xj600 Divi I learned on, maybe its because the fazer has twice the HP and inline 4?

I'm also having problems at idle (which Is why I'm assuming the two are related) The bike idles just above 1k but not at all smoothly. It's running very lumpy and the needle is fluttering to the time of the sound of the engine. (if that makes sense).

I have:
Changed Oil/filter
Cleaned and checked plug gaps
Balanced the carbs
Cleaned and oiled the K & N air filter.
Checked all breather hoses are clear and not kinked.
Bike has Micron Fast flow Can and performance filter as above.

Bike was sat for a year before I took possession of it. I have also tried the fuel additive as mentioned by lots of people on here with the same issue to clean the jets. Also find that I have a few little backfires whist decelerating. Nothing big and loud just little pops and grunts. :)

Any help of suggestions are much appreciated :)

MDC
« Last Edit: 28 August 2017, 02:19:52 pm by motodevcam »

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: 99 fzs600 lumpy idle, lumpy low speed
« Reply #1 on: 28 August 2017, 04:25:42 pm »

I’d set the idle speed to 1300rpm or so “just above 1k” sounds a bit too low.
Recheck the carb balance and adjust the TPS.

If it’s still acting like a kangaroo when manoeuvring at low speed then there may be an electrical problem… new NGK straight plug caps and trimming 8-10mm off the leads will address a lot of dodgy sparks issues.

If none of that helps it could be the carbs need a proper clean. A useful first step is to check whether the fuel levels in the float bowls are correct… easy too, as it is best done with the carbs in-situ.

As a general riding technique I do drag the rear brake gently in most slow corners, keeping the chain taut improves stability.

motodevcam

• CBT Wobbler
  • PASSED MOD2!!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
    • Vloggage
« Reply #2 on: 28 August 2017, 04:45:02 pm »
Brill thank you for the advice :) been looking at those plug caps on ebay after reading a couple of other threads on here. I'll order a set. I've tried to adjust the idle but the thumb screw won't budge!!

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
  • riding till i die (or breakdown)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fazer stolen - gsx1100 rebuild
    • View Profile
    • disorderly punks motovlog
« Reply #3 on: 28 August 2017, 04:49:14 pm »
mine is 'lumpy' at low revs/tickover and i know it is due to the pilot jets being blocked
are some of your exhaust downpipes cooler than others when ticking over/warming up
if so that is a good posibility

motodevcam

• CBT Wobbler
  • PASSED MOD2!!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
    • Vloggage
« Reply #4 on: 28 August 2017, 05:05:53 pm »
All really hot at the same rate...my skin still attached:D

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 August 2017, 08:09:48 pm »
Note for future - spit on your thumb before each downpipe lol

Jamieg285

• Club Racer
  • What does this do?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 August 2017, 01:23:46 pm »
Some of this maybe lack of experience on the bike.  I had similar issues with slower maneouvering when I started riding on a Fazer as the first bike ridden for over 17 years.  The throttle is sensitive, but you get better control with it the more you ride.

What condition is your chain, does it need adjusting?  I find a slack chain can affect slow riding where you are making small changes in throttle - this can also be helped by dragging the rear brake.

I also agree with increasing the idle speed. I ran with too low a level and found it much better a couple of hundred rpm higher.  You need to look at why the adjuster isn't working.

celticbiker

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31 August 2017, 07:00:58 pm »
Poorly tensioned chain could also cause low speed control issues.
Where are you based?
(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste
(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help
(")-(") him gain world domination!

motodevcam

• CBT Wobbler
  • PASSED MOD2!!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
    • Vloggage
« Reply #8 on: 31 August 2017, 09:34:44 pm »
Thank you for helpful replies:) Based in North Devon. I'll double check the chain but within tolerance last time I checked..

Changed my sparks today....this was no 3 spark!!!!!

The coolant manifold is DIRECTLY above no 3 spark. Wondering if I have a small leak that's allowing the coolant to pool. I'm hoping that piston isn't shot to hell!!!!

motodevcam

• CBT Wobbler
  • PASSED MOD2!!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
    • Vloggage
« Reply #9 on: 31 August 2017, 09:43:10 pm »
Keeping the revs high and dragging the brake has made a big difference to slow riding (RAsetc) get the lumpiness in a straight line at 10/20 mph though.

motodevcam

• CBT Wobbler
  • PASSED MOD2!!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
    • Vloggage
« Reply #10 on: 31 August 2017, 10:30:27 pm »
Also, dumb question.. .how should the fazer sound during idle? Like a car? As in smooth running, nice steady in tune hum or is it more brap b b b b brap b b b.....maybe I'm just expecting something that I shouldn't??

celticbiker

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 31 August 2017, 11:00:00 pm »
Don't want to sound like a creep but where in north Devon?
I was thinking that if the weather is going to be OK on the weekend I could pop down and have a look see if you wanted.

motodevcam

• CBT Wobbler
  • PASSED MOD2!!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
    • Vloggage
« Reply #12 on: 02 September 2017, 09:50:26 am »
Hey hey that's kind of you, at a wedding in Tewksbury this weekend unfirtunatly.

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02 September 2017, 10:30:08 am »
just had a watch (or more important listen) to your youtube vid of the bike - not hearing anything to worry about - bit of cam chain rattle but thats just the adjuster between clicks and will suddenly get better soon
new plugs (or at least cleaned, wet sanded and gapped) and all should be well

celticbiker

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02 September 2017, 01:43:03 pm »
No problem.
If you continue to struggle with low speed maneuvering the offer is always open.
Edit
Just a thought, if you rode your bike to the wedding you could pop over or I could meet you somewhere in Sunday on your way home as you'll be passing by my place.
« Last Edit: 02 September 2017, 05:17:47 pm by celticbiker »

motodevcam

• CBT Wobbler
  • PASSED MOD2!!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
    • Vloggage
« Reply #15 on: 08 September 2017, 05:31:09 pm »
Hi all,

Quick update. Replaced the plugs and Instantly much better, still a bit ropey but better. I've bought new NGK caps which I'll fit tommorrow so I'll see how that goes.

What ive always found  with this bike is when i come off the throttle (ok I know one should use acceleration sense and use the throttle rather than just shutting it off but shit happens) the bike feels like it's hit a brick wall. The deceleration is crazy. Lots of popping and backfiring  (not really loud) from the can. Going back into the throttle is then when I notice the most jumping and roughness.

MdC

daviee

« Reply #16 on: 08 September 2017, 08:19:25 pm »
when idling it will sound like  a sewing machine they tend to be a bit lumpy on idle as you pick up the revs it should smooth out but slow  speed   tend to be a bit of clutch slip is best

motodevcam

• CBT Wobbler
  • PASSED MOD2!!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
    • Vloggage
« Reply #17 on: 09 September 2017, 11:49:15 am »
Sewing machine :D
Frustrating. Because I'm a new rider and this is my first bike I have no comparisons. Also, came with the end can and k and n filter so no idea what they sound like stock. Of course that also means I have no idea what's good or bad with regard to road manners of the bike either.

Thanks for all your help lovely people:) Concider this moody pic of my fazer (complete with headlight mod) as a reward :D

« Last Edit: 09 September 2017, 11:53:56 am by motodevcam »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 09 September 2017, 01:11:20 pm »
Sewing machine :D
Frustrating. Because I'm a new rider and this is my first bike I have no comparisons. Also, came with the end can and k and n filter so no idea what they sound like stock. Of course that also means I have no idea what's good or bad with regard to road manners of the bike either.

Thanks for all your help lovely people:) Concider this moody pic of my fazer (complete with headlight mod) as a reward :D

Have a look on YouTube, they have every flavour of exhaust on there, even 2 of mine are on there, if you want to hesr exhaust tones.
The bike will actually sound like a sewing machine if the cam chain tensioner is just short of its next notch, but again look on YouTube for cam chain noise and you will see and hear a few bikes for cross reference.
Stock exhausts sound rather naff in my opinion, and all you hear is a whiney gearbox, which is why i couldn't wait to replace it.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

motodevcam

• CBT Wobbler
  • PASSED MOD2!!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
    • Vloggage
« Reply #19 on: 10 September 2017, 12:29:24 am »
Ha ha ha amazing!!! Found this on YouTube! This is exactly how my bike sounds at idle!! Makes me feel much better!!!!!

https://youtu.be/Skvra_hqeEE

motodevcam

• CBT Wobbler
  • PASSED MOD2!!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
    • Vloggage
« Reply #20 on: 12 September 2017, 10:50:50 pm »
What a difference! New caps have worked a treat!!! Instant and predictable power when pulling away now farther than "nothing and LURCH"!!

Riggerlee88

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 21 June 2019, 04:18:11 pm »
Hi I know this is an old thread just ordered some new NGK Caps for mine did you need to trim the leads or is it a straight swap?

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #22 on: 21 June 2019, 05:29:14 pm »
Hi I know this is an old thread just ordered some new NGK Caps for mine did you need to trim the leads or is it a straight swap?

Its always best to trim 5mm off if you can
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 21 June 2019, 06:50:29 pm »

When you take the old caps off you’ll see why a trim is needed. Over time the wires inside the HT leads get pushed outwards into the plastic outer part of the lead.
5mm is normally enough to make it all look like new again so you get a good connection with the screw in the new caps.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Steve3351

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 21 June 2019, 10:22:35 pm »
Thank you for helpful replies:) Based in North Devon. I'll double check the chain but within tolerance last time I checked..

Changed my sparks today....this was no 3 spark!!!!!

The coolant manifold is DIRECTLY above no 3 spark. Wondering if I have a small leak that's allowing the coolant to pool. I'm hoping that piston isn't shot to hell!!!!

DAMN....! that plug looks evil.....water coming from somewhere...most probably coolant. Wotever about carbs, u need to sort that issue :evil :evil :evil