Date: 28-03-24  Time: 21:09 pm

Author Topic: PHOTOBUCKET PROBLEM AND WORKAROUND -- STICKY??  (Read 2551 times)

DebtMan

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
PHOTOBUCKET PROBLEM AND WORKAROUND -- STICKY??
« on: 28 August 2017, 12:32:45 pm »
As many folk will be aware, some of the older threads that have for eons used Photobucket as their image hosting platform have now become a bit pants due to Photobucket holding their entire user base to ransom.

There is a sort of limited workaround for this, at least in the short term. Anyone needing to view the pics can use Google's Chrome browser with the Photobucket embed fix add-on installed. It works on PCs but as yet I've not been able to find a fix to work on mobile devices or on any other widely used browsers, ie. Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera, Safari, etc.

Also can't speak for Linux users, apparently the Chrome fix works by looking at the referring links directly so Linux users may have browsers that work in this way, just not sure on this.

Worthy a sticky admin??

Cheers
DM

reggit

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha350LC
    • View Profile
Re: PHOTOBUCKET PROBLEM AND WORKAROUND -- STICKY??
« Reply #1 on: 30 August 2017, 06:45:12 am »
I've been slowly transferring my collection onto flickr, the site's not absolutely clogged up in adverts.  Doesn't help old threads though.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 August 2017, 08:57:42 am »

It really needs a fix at site level rather than leaving it up to individual users to change browsers/load plugins/replace hardware.
Can a clever admin write a routine to crawl through posts identifying Photobucket links, extract the photo, move it to a decent image hosting site and update the link in the post?
However, aside from the time and skill required, there may be issues with copyright and the Data Protection Act.

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 August 2017, 07:03:07 am »
I've been slowly transferring my collection onto flickr, the site's not absolutely clogged up in adverts.  Doesn't help old threads though.

I'm in the same boat, downloading all my pics and going to delete the photobucket account, it's turned to shite.
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

Billy Balthorpe

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - 2 X 1987 fzr1000's, VN800
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 September 2017, 11:53:44 pm »

I always found Photobucket very slow because of the adverts (or something, I'm shite at computers), now they are saying they want $400 to allow you to post your own pictures on forums etc. Well they can Foc off! Ive just copied every photo ive ever uploaded onto my PC.

The problem is now that I cant easily post pics on here. Has anyone got a suggestion where I should put them (fnar fnar) so I can post them using the img button like on Photobucket?

GH600

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 September 2017, 09:00:40 pm »

I always found Photobucket very slow because of the adverts (or something, I'm shite at computers), now they are saying they want $400 to allow you to post your own pictures on forums etc. Well they can Foc off! Ive just copied every photo ive ever uploaded onto my PC.

The problem is now that I cant easily post pics on here. Has anyone got a suggestion where I should put them (fnar fnar) so I can post them using the img button like on Photobucket?
I use  IMGUR  the site looks a bit  weird  :eek   & some robot thing sends you e-mails to start with , just make your settings private, so on & so forth , it works in the same way as photobucket without the adds .

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: 12 September 2017, 09:25:45 pm »
if someone comes up with a simple solution we can make that a sticky for a while.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 September 2017, 10:41:18 pm »
I just use, add attachments,  in the write reply window
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

F4celess

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 September 2017, 11:52:09 pm »
if someone comes up with a simple solution we can make that a sticky for a while.

Take a look at Page 9 of the "2017 Picture Challenge" thread.
Val posted a comprehensive guide towards the bottom on how to quite easily embed your photos, using Flickr.

stet

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 September 2017, 06:53:14 am »
Often you can get to the original Photobucket image by using the FOCU page mark-up:

In Chrome browser, right click on the Photobucket image, with the 'update account message', and select 'Inspect'.

In the window that opens on the right, right click on the link for the image, and select 'Copy link address'.

Open a new page in Chrome and delete the current address in the address window at the top of the new Chrome page.

Paste ('Control' plus 'V' keys) the image link address into the Chrome address window of the new Chrome page.

This should get you to the image in Photobucket. You should also be able to select the Photobucket account holders other images by using the left and right arrows on the Photobucket image (place cursor on the image to see the arrows).

The above procedure is for Windows 10 and Chrome browser, but the general principle would be the same for other operating systems and browsers.
« Last Edit: 14 September 2017, 06:54:51 am by stet »