Date: 28-03-24  Time: 12:14 pm

Author Topic: Mayweather v McGregor  (Read 5742 times)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Mayweather v McGregor
« Reply #25 on: 27 August 2017, 03:14:59 pm »
I thought it was a shambles of a fight. McGregor's stance was all over the place he left himself quite open most of the time.
And i lost count of how many times he got behind him ready to take him to the ground, then realised that wasn't allowed so started karate chopping him in the back of the head.
I don't think the ref should've stopped it when he did either, McGregor was certainly knackered and in a bit of trouble but he wasn't hurt, and that was plain to see straight after.
I reckon the ref had a bet on a TKO in the 10th round  :lol

« Last Edit: 28 August 2017, 06:31:51 am by darrsi »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 27 August 2017, 07:25:02 pm »
Yeah he did well. I do think he was knackered towards the end and that's when mayweather came strong. I think it's because he's not used to going for asking as a full boxing match. Would of been interesting ref hadn't of stopped it by two if he would of got a 2nd wind. Also if he lasted I think he probably could of won on points because he  was stronger in the earlier rounds.

Bet he was frustrated because he kept on going for a hammer punch to the back of the head like in UFC.

By every analyst's point estimation McGregor had the first 3 rounds at most. Mayweather would have walked it if it had gone to points. I was shocked the ref stopped it too..... Was waiting for the knockout haha

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 28 August 2017, 06:40:40 am »
Yeah he did well. I do think he was knackered towards the end and that's when mayweather came strong. I think it's because he's not used to going for asking as a full boxing match. Would of been interesting ref hadn't of stopped it by two if he would of got a 2nd wind. Also if he lasted I think he probably could of won on points because he  was stronger in the earlier rounds.

Bet he was frustrated because he kept on going for a hammer punch to the back of the head like in UFC.

By every analyst's point estimation McGregor had the first 3 rounds at most. Mayweather would have walked it if it had gone to points. I was shocked the ref stopped it too..... Was waiting for the knockout haha

If you take into consideration the sort of punishment dished out in MMA fights before the ref steps in then this one seems particularly premature, and you could even see and hear McGregor saying the same thing as well.
It was only the speed of the punches being thrown that was catching him out, i don't think either side were really being hurt by punches in all honesty.
McGregor appears to have a head made of granite so he was just soaking them up, but in the same breath his punches weren't anywhere near powerful enough to do any real damage to Mayweather in comparison to how he's used to being hit by a pro boxer.
You have to give McGregor his credit though, he's still gone and fought someone who's unbeaten and not got hurt at all, i just wish the ref had left them to it that's all.

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 28 August 2017, 07:17:11 am »
To my mind it was a one sided fight 2 completely different fight disciplines, it's like entering a horse in the grand national and tying it's back legs  together. It was purely about making money both for the fighters but mainly the promoters etc. If  they had fought under MMA rules Mayweather would not have lasted the first 3 rounds.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 28 August 2017, 10:28:45 am »
To my mind it was a one sided fight 2 completely different fight disciplines, it's like entering a horse in the grand national and tying it's back legs  together. It was purely about making money both for the fighters but mainly the promoters etc. If  they had fought under MMA rules Mayweather would not have lasted the first 3 rounds.

I'd be amazed if he lasted more than one round at MMA.

Waterhouse

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 28 August 2017, 10:46:03 am »

P
Like I say. I think that they should have a rematch but in magregars ring

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 28 August 2017, 12:28:18 pm »

P
Like I say. I think that they should have a rematch but in magregars ring

Why?
It was McGregor that wanted to try his luck, not Mayweather, so it's not his problem.
Same sort of thing with Tyson, he knew it wasn't his discipline, if that's the right word for him, so he just never even considered the MMA ring.
I remember boxer Trevor Berbick getting into a Bushido ring years ago which was an early form of MMA, and he had boxing gloves on and was padded up to his knees.
The Bushido champion kept kicking him in the same spot on the thigh until he got bored of asking the ref to tell him to stop it, then he jumped out the ring and the fans ripped up their seats and threw them at him.
One of the weirdest fights i've seen, it's probably on YouTube if you have a look.
« Last Edit: 28 August 2017, 12:35:08 pm by darrsi »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 28 August 2017, 12:37:07 pm »
It is on YouTube and worth a look, just look up "Trevor Berbick Bushido" and it's the first video.
It just made me laugh again, i dunno what he was thinking?  :lol

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 28 August 2017, 01:01:33 pm »
At the end of the day the Mayweather-McGregor fight was entertainment wasn't it?.

That's what I viewed it as.

Surely no one truly thought the future of boxing hinged on this bout?. You'd think so to hear some peoples reactions.

I never understand why people got so wound up about the money either. If people choose to pay then that's their choice. I wouldn't want someone telling me what I can and cannot spend my cash on.

Waterhouse

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 28 August 2017, 02:01:32 pm »

Yeah it was just entertainment.
Nothing more
And to be fair it was entertaining
But it was like asking Bradford bulls to play Man Utd a football game at old Trafford.

Alvarez vs golovkin that will be the best fight this year. A proper boxing match. And got that my money's on golovkin all the way

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 29 August 2017, 12:01:40 am »
The whole thing ------ I just think the two of them are business partners and nothing more 
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 29 August 2017, 11:16:53 am »
What ever it was, Mayweather is going to have a comfortable retirement and good luck to him, and he retires undefeated if I'm not mistaken.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 29 August 2017, 01:17:54 pm »
What ever it was, Mayweather is going to have a comfortable retirement and good luck to him, and he retires undefeated if I'm not mistaken.

It would seem unthinkable to believe he could squander that amount of money, but I wouldn't put it past him, although to him being down to his last $10million would be like us having our last 10 pence in our pocket.

Waterhouse

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 29 August 2017, 01:33:53 pm »
They all seem to do it tho. Millions in the bank 1 week bankrupt the next.
All the fancy cars and the lifestyle posh clothes drink drugs gambling. Nothing better to do.
Whereas if he bought a fazer he could have endless fun out on the road and only spend his money
On fuel butties and brews  :rollin

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 29 August 2017, 05:43:18 pm »
total farce from the 1st bell, Connors stance was wide open and most if not all boxers could've sparked him in R1
was surprised he never got warned for hammer fists but Mayweather gave as good by rubbing his laces in Connors face in the clinches. Connor punches with his arms and there's no body weight behind the punch hence he never hurt Mayweather. Its a travesty that the Rock's record of 49/0 has gone after a piss take of a "boxing"match
fire never sleeps

Waterhouse

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 29 August 2017, 06:18:06 pm »
Yeah when u look at the punch count first few rounds mcgregar was throwing 30/40/50 punches and landing 9/8/9
Mayweather was throwing 6/10/12 and landing 2/5/5

Round 9 and ten magregar threw 36/9 and landed 10/4 to
mayweathers thrown 68/28 landing 42/20

When u hear his press conference afterwards saying that he let magregar go for it early on knowing he wanted to knock him out. He was letting him tire himself before he came good and went back at magregar.

He out boxed him pure and simple
But the. Everyone knew he was going to out box him. .

F4celess

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 30 August 2017, 10:13:51 am »
So how many of you would step in with one of them ? Be no contest but I'd willingly get my ass kicked for the same payout there getting.

The money could pay for your after care for life i s'pose.  :lol

Good call. Mayweather came across extremely well in the post fight conference with the media (same day infact). Intelligent individual.
Although you cant predict how all those years of (taking) head shots in the ring, might affect him in 10 / 20 years... Muhammad Ali, among many others, comes to mind.