Date: 28-03-24  Time: 08:02 am

Author Topic: Error code 46 - check engine light comes on  (Read 1872 times)

carcrusher

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
Error code 46 - check engine light comes on
« on: 22 August 2017, 11:03:18 pm »
I have a 2007 FZ6 S2, weirdly my bike seems to be running fine, but while riding around town (30mph, around 4k rpm and a lot of stop and go) after about 20-25min my check engine light comes on.
I checked the error codes by going into diagnostics mode and error 46 comes up. The service manual says "Symptom: Power supply to the FI system is not normal. Probable cause of malfunction: Malfunction in CHARGING SYSTEM."
I checked the battery and it seems to be fine, with the engine turned off it shows around 13.5v, when I start the engine it drops to around 12v and then it comes back up and when accelerating it goes up to around 14.5v
I checked the stator coil resistance and it's withing the specified range 0,23 - 0.32 Ohm
I replaced the fuse for the FI system and also cleaned all of the other fuses.
I don't know what else I could check, anyone else encountered something like this? I googled this error but all the info I found doesn't really apply to me since my bike seems to be running fine.

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
Re: Error code 46 - check engine light comes on
« Reply #1 on: 23 August 2017, 08:57:29 am »
I would check all connectors and multiplugs for tightness and corrosion, pull them apart and clean them with electrical contact cleaner.

carcrusher

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 August 2017, 10:12:09 pm »
I fixed it, the problem was the rectifier/regulator was failing and was sending too much current back into the electrical system, when it overheated it sent back even more and the check engine light would turn on.

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 August 2017, 09:30:40 am »
 :thumbup