Date: 28-03-24  Time: 18:14 pm

Author Topic: U-lock or Disc lock?  (Read 7640 times)

rlkat

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Honda Transalp
    • View Profile
U-lock or Disc lock?
« on: 19 August 2017, 09:34:32 pm »
Are there other brands of u-lock other than Yamaha that fit under the seat in the slots and clips or can anyone recommend a decent disc lock?

Cheers
Rob

mr self destruct

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Riding without a crash since 24-04-15
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: U-lock or Disc lock?
« Reply #1 on: 19 August 2017, 10:39:02 pm »
I've got an Oxford Boss that comes with a mounting bracket.
Broken, bruised, forgotten, sore,
too fucked up to care any more.

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 August 2017, 10:46:02 pm »
Hi Rob I'm not a fan of disc locks as there's always the chance you forget it's on and ride off. Saying that the new ones come with a motion alarm. Lad I park next to uses an On-guard brute lock. It looks a decent piece of kit don't know how much he paid for it though. I'm a chain and lock man, I've got one at home one at work and a smaller one under the seat. Anythings better than nowt to try and stop or at least slow down the thieving little b*stards.
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 August 2017, 11:23:15 pm »
 :agree
Was gonna say the same, they mean well but an accident waiting to happen.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #4 on: 20 August 2017, 05:43:48 am »
In my city and country, they put bikes in a van. Disc lock does little to help prevent that. As well as the alarm. Tying the bike to some post does make them need to cut the cable/chain though. Having alarm at the same time does make it all a bit extra less comfortable. So they might just go for another, easier prey.

I wrote two articles on bicycle safety - but similar goes for motorcycles, only a chain can be a bit thicker if possible (12 mm).

How to lock it up:
http://www.bike.bikegremlin.com/2015/09/30/locking-a-bicycle/

How to tell if a lock is well built:
http://www.bike.bikegremlin.com/2015/09/23/bicycle-locks/
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

mr self destruct

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Riding without a crash since 24-04-15
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 August 2017, 10:15:48 am »
Hi Rob I'm not a fan of disc locks as there's always the chance you forget it's on and ride off. Saying that the new ones come with a motion alarm.
I know what you mean as I've done it a few times myself, which is why I like mine with the mounting bracket. If it's not in plain sight as I cock my leg over the bike, then it's on my rear sprocket.
Broken, bruised, forgotten, sore,
too fucked up to care any more.

Slaninar

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #6 on: 21 August 2017, 08:29:36 am »
There's a trick a friend used - he said it has worked for him - locking the bike with the front wheel against a post, or a wall, or some other obstacle and mounting the disc lock so that it is against the fork when the wheel is rotated backwards. That way it prevents the bike from moving/gaining momentum before the lock is removed.

rlkat

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Honda Transalp
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 August 2017, 08:48:38 pm »
Thanks for the replies, guys. I think I'm going down the disc lock route. I'll get one of those luminous springy things that you tie to the grip to remind you to undo the lock.

:thumbup

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 August 2017, 10:48:07 pm »
There's a trick a friend used - he said it has worked for him - locking the bike with the front wheel against a post, or a wall, or some other obstacle and mounting the disc lock so that it is against the fork when the wheel is rotated backwards. That way it prevents the bike from moving/gaining momentum before the lock is removed.

It's a minor deterrent, but in the real world they'll just pick the bike up if they really want it.

Slaninar

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #9 on: 22 August 2017, 10:06:41 am »

It's a minor deterrent, but in the real world they'll just pick the bike up if they really want it.

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,23101.msg266455.html#msg266455

F4celess

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 August 2017, 11:19:20 am »
Thanks for the replies, guys. I think I'm going down the disc lock route. I'll get one of those luminous springy things that you tie to the grip to remind you to undo the lock.

EXACTLY! The solution is to use the luminous leash, that you then reach up to a lever, or somewhere along the side of the bike.
It also adds as an immediate visual deterrent, so the thieves eyeing up the bike, will see that leash from a distance.

Fitting onto the rear wheel is better if possible, as the rear wheel is much more difficult to get off (if they go to extreme measures to bypass the lock)!

Slaninar

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #11 on: 01 September 2017, 05:50:29 am »

Like it was said, most of them just toss the bike into a van, unless it is chained to some heavy/fixed object.

EXACTLY! The solution is to use the luminous leash, that you then reach up to a lever, or somewhere along the side of the bike.
It also adds as an immediate visual deterrent, so the thieves eyeing up the bike, will see that leash from a distance.

Fitting onto the rear wheel is better if possible, as the rear wheel is much more difficult to get off (if they go to extreme measures to bypass the lock)!

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01 September 2017, 11:38:08 am »
If you have a permanent spot that you always use then take in a 19mm thick link chain and leave it padlocked there. I say leave it because its too heavy to take in and carry around every day 
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01 September 2017, 02:58:59 pm »
If you have a permanent spot that you always use then take in a 19mm thick link chain and leave it padlocked there. I say leave it because its too heavy to take in and carry around every day

Thieves are wise to that, they see the chain and lock there with no bike and superglue / araldite or damage the lock so it will not work. You arrive at your usual spot to find the lock unusable and leave the bike with no chain locking it, just what the thieves want you to do, as you need to get to work on time, thieves come along and nick the now unchained bike.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 01 September 2017, 04:05:26 pm »

Thieves are wise to that, they see the chain and lock there with no bike and superglue / araldite or damage the lock so it will not work. You arrive at your usual spot to find the lock unusable and leave the bike with no chain locking it, just what the thieves want you to do, as you need to get to work on time, thieves come along and nick the now unchained bike.
Of course ----------- brilliant really from their point of view
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

GhostCat

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 01 September 2017, 09:54:15 pm »
I got an Abus Granit 37/60 disk lock, doesn't fit in the holder but I just chuck it under the seat. *just* fits around the disk, making it hard to attack

GC
« Last Edit: 03 September 2017, 07:42:31 pm by GhostCat »

Creaky

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 18 September 2017, 08:19:12 pm »
As a disc lock reminder: Cut a short piece of electrical flex and strip out the inner cables leaving just the outer housing. Slide this over your dic lock key. When parking the bike transfer the flex cover to your ignition key and use the disc lock key. When you return to the bike you have to remove the flex cover from your ignition key which should remind you to use the disc lock key!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 18 September 2017, 09:12:52 pm »
I have a heavy duty chain and padlock that sits fine under the seat.

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
  • riding till i die (or breakdown)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fazer stolen - gsx1100 rebuild
    • View Profile
    • disorderly punks motovlog
« Reply #18 on: 19 September 2017, 10:39:36 am »
i would choose depending on location
Down London - Disc lock, harder to cut than anything else out there (wankers more likely to cut the bike next to you with a chain)
Rural Home / council estate - Chain to something Solid, (more likely to be a van theft - as you would hear a grinder in use)
if you have the money there is also the tracking option - but we have fazers so prob not worth the cost
(£179 + Fitting +£100 per year subscription for a datatool = but i have heard off some interesting alternatives in the pipeline)

im not a fan of U-locks as they are solid linked so easier to cut (bar is easier to cut than moving chain) and hard to carry
a big and bulky chain can be worn like rambos bulletbelt and disc locks can fit in a pocket

UNDER NO EXCEPTION GET A THROTTLE LOCK THEY ARE USELESS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1XKWhC_2R4

Kamikaze

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 19 September 2017, 03:12:15 pm »
what about these for trackers?

the streetwise one is from maplins, but the tk star is available on amazon. i got mine for 20 quid delivered.fewpeople say they have set u issues with them but this guy shows over 3 parts, what to do to set it up and use.

F4celess

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 19 September 2017, 03:26:10 pm »
Another little tip, you can buy a THICKER length of Chain in the Hardware (DIY) stores, that come in plastic sheath, cheaper than a similar length "branded" motorcycle chain, from say Halfords or Amazon - which are likely more expensive plus the actual links are not as thick either.

Granted, you then need to buy a Padlock too. Get something beefy, pick and mix. :)
« Last Edit: 19 September 2017, 03:27:40 pm by F4celess »

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 19 September 2017, 03:30:42 pm »
that looks like a good size piece of kit - easily hidden aswell - im not looking into trackers just yet untill the fighter build is underway
- one of the big problems with them is the other half can track you at all times which might not be a good thing.

F4celess

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 19 September 2017, 03:39:18 pm »
that looks like a good size piece of kit - easily hidden aswell - im not looking into trackers just yet untill the fighter build is underway
- one of the big problems with them is the other half can track you at all times which might not be a good thing.

But aren't you in your garage (at home) most of the time anyway, recording reviews and build videos, for your Utube channel?  :lol  :thumbup
I'm the FOCCER whose been recently commenting on a few of your Vids. Great stuff mate, excellent content.
« Last Edit: 19 September 2017, 03:41:14 pm by F4celess »

Kamikaze

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 19 September 2017, 04:25:46 pm »

one of his videos mentions that. nt about his other half, but that you can limit the numbers that can interact with the device.

he had cold callers ringing, which get a message with the location on it and drain the credit so by limiting the numbers, only his own phone can acess it till he activates another number. say the cops, or a mate helping locate it whatever. ive not set mine up yet but hoping it works over here. malins sell them here so they must do.

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 19 September 2017, 06:30:29 pm »

But aren't you in your garage (at home) most of the time anyway, recording reviews and build videos, for your Utube channel?  :lol :thumbup
I'm the FOCCER whose been recently commenting on a few of your Vids. Great stuff mate, excellent content.

currently making a security related video on an unbeatable alarm system - its so good even i cant disarm it with my keyfob
so the last couple of days yes i have been at home totally traceable.
« Last Edit: 19 September 2017, 09:33:14 pm by Disorderlypunk »